SAU Community

Antidepressants

t5iv

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on antidepressants? Finding it near impossible to keep my mood level these days with everything going on so was contemplating another option.

Thoughts?

Well mate as a person that's been on them for years I'd say maybe try some natural supplements first zinc , krill oil, calcium and magnesium. Everyone can be moody at times and I don't have issues with depression anymore but however they do help with anxiety. If you are however feeling constantly down and out and feeling suicidal get help ASAP.

Nutrients (rather than drugs) can include...

* l-Tyrosine >> Noradrenalin & Dopamine

* dl-Phenylalanine >> Phenylethylamine & Noradrenalin

* S-Adenosyl Methionine >> about 4 brain neurotransmitters

* l-Tryptophan or 5-Hydroxytryptophan >> Serotonin

* l-Glutamine in conjunction with Taurine as a peptide >> Gamma A-Butyric Acid

The Brain Neurotransmitters above can sometimes be referred to as endorphins too.

Testing?

* Hoffer-Osmond Diagnostic Test (Uni Saskatchewan)

* Dr H Osiecki Computer Test (Uni Queensland)

...because there is NO blood test, urine test, hair test or brain scan that can assess levels of the above brain neurotransmitters

New research is being done into neurotransmitter metabolites being excreted in stools > stool test

Therefore quasi-psych tests only, can be administered > interpreted correctly by a professional.

Omega 3 fish oil & Inositol & Mg also help with brain cell myelin sheath integrity (to prevent short circuiting). Taurine helps there too.

Or consult Michael Rath at Eatons Hill if not too far away for that Dr Osiecki Test?

Being a chemist (still), I don't like the side effects if they can be avoided Tony.

I'd recommend seeing a psychologist/counsellor first up, try some non-chemical therapy. And yeah 'therapy' has a stigma attached to it, but it's a useful tool and people who give it a negative stigma don't need to be listened to.

antidepressants are great if you actually need them. My partner has Chronic depression with bipolar tendancies. This is caused by the brain not realesing a certian chemical (can't remember what that chemical is). She is on 60mg (alot) of Lovan and it makes a massive difference. All it does is help fix the chemical inballence in the brain.

Go have a chat to someone as it's the best thing you can do.

Psilocybe cubensis.

inb4 goon squad having a go at me for suggesting "illicit drugs". Tryptamines work wonders for my housemate's bipolar and anxiety, though in recreational doses he experiences a crash and dip in the weeks following. Sub-psychedelic doses of mushrooms still have a positive effect, essentially nullifying the issues. Marajuana helps him plenty too, though occasionally triggers minor paranoia - so can be hit and miss.

Oh also, as mentioned above - avoid any kind of medication if possible. First and foremost try some decently strenuous exercise - both cardio and weights. This might not help as much as it does for some, but will still make you feel a bit better for a day or so at least. Plus, unlike modern medications, exercise only really comes with positive side effects (unless you injure yourself :P)

Just toying with ideas at the moment. Things seem to be fluctuating from bad to worse on a regular basis. What little wins are to be had are quickly masked up by a lot of negativity from either external or internal forces. Being one that doesn't believe in blaming others for mistakes (I'll pull someone up if they screw up but blame myself for not taking the precautions to ensure that said event didn't happen), it really does take a toll.

With recent changes at work, things have been getting more and more strenuous for less reward. The club is difficult to work with with so many people not pulling their weight. Honestly, at times it feels as though there's only 3-4 of us putting in all the effort yet those not involved seek the glory.

Times are getting tougher it's not looking pretty out there. Even when looking at contemplating other options or what not, it's self-doubt through misery that seems to cloud my judgement.

Need something to set me straight and get things right again. Unfortunately, the drink seems to be losing it's effect.

Oh also, as mentioned above - avoid any kind of medication if possible. First and foremost try some decently strenuous exercise - both cardio and weights. This might not help as much as it does for some, but will still make you feel a bit better for a day or so at least. Plus, unlike modern medications, exercise only really comes with positive side effects (unless you injure yourself :P)

I've been trying to get to the gym more but the motivation isn't there. Get in, push myself, but for what? Also, a bad back and not so great knees make it a little harder.

All this has been instigated by my GP. Spoke with her back in May/June regarding a few other things and she noted that I'm demonstrating signs of clinical depression and maybe antidepressants may be the go. Disregarded it as a bad slump but 6 months on, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of change.

Don't know really and you guys seem to know a bit on the health side so thought that I might ask.

Terry would know much more about it, but my understanding is something to do with cardio exercise causes your body to get rid of cortisol or cortisone, and abusing your muscles "causes endorphin release" or something.

Don't use minor injuries/ailments as an excuse to slack off either :P

Terry would know much more about it, but my understanding is something to do with cardio exercise causes your body to get rid of cortisol or cortisone, and abusing your muscles "causes endorphin release" or something.

Don't use minor injuries/ailments as an excuse to slack off either :P

I'm not using ailments to slack off, just takes more time to build intensity. Went gymcersing last week and managed to do my knee in on the treadmill. Learnt my lesson :P

I tend to go at lunch because it works away the stress of the morning. There's also the feel good factor of knowing that one day I will be a buff sexy manbeast like you Troy :P

As I mentioned earlier, just looking at and evaluating the validity of different options.

haha nah I didn't mean to have a go at you there, was more or less in jest :P I bitch out of certain things from fear of pissing off my already munted back too lol

f**k the treadmill to hell. I just hit the stupid cross-trainer/elliptical thingy. No impact damage to your knees and ankles :)

Do you feel any of the below:

Behaviour

• not going out anymore
  • not getting things done at work/school
  • withdrawing from close family and friends
  • relying on alcohol and sedatives
  • not doing usual enjoyable activities
  • unable to concentrate

Feelings

• overwhelmed
  • guilty
  • irritable
  • frustrated
  • lacking in confidence
  • unhappy
  • indecisive
  • disappointed
  • miserable
  • sad

Thoughts

• 'I’m a failure.'
  • 'It’s my fault.'
  • 'Nothing good ever happens to me.'
  • 'I’m worthless.'
  • 'Life’s not worth living.'
  • 'People would be better off without me.'

Physical

• tired all the time
  • sick and run down
  • headaches and muscle pains
  • churning gut
  • sleep problems
  • loss or change of appetite
  • significant weight loss or gain

IF YOU SAID YES TO ALL TRY: marijuana

IF YOU SAID NO TO ALL TRY: marijuana

Edited by dyl33

LOL ^^^

While personally I concur with that advice, I wouldn't so bluntly suggest it :P however if the OP isn't overly against it and has a means of trying it, it'd definitely be worth trying just once.

MJ can still impose negative effects on your mental well-being, as well as on your physical health. That being said, of everything my housemate has taken to combat his condition(s), marijuana has been the least tolling in any way.

Nutrients (rather than drugs) can include...

* l-Tyrosine >> Noradrenalin & Dopamine

* dl-Phenylalanine >> Phenylethylamine & Noradrenalin

* S-Adenosyl Methionine >> about 4 brain neurotransmitters

* l-Tryptophan or 5-Hydroxytryptophan >> Serotonin

* l-Glutamine in conjunction with Taurine as a peptide >> Gamma A-Butyric Acid

The Brain Neurotransmitters above can sometimes be referred to as endorphins too.

Testing?

* Hoffer-Osmond Diagnostic Test (Uni Saskatchewan)

* Dr H Osiecki Computer Test (Uni Queensland)

...because there is NO blood test, urine test, hair test or brain scan that can assess levels of the above brain neurotransmitters

New research is being done into neurotransmitter metabolites being excreted in stools > stool test

Therefore quasi-psych tests only, can be administered > interpreted correctly by a professional.

Omega 3 fish oil & Inositol & Mg also help with brain cell myelin sheath integrity (to prevent short circuiting). Taurine helps there too.

funny you should say taurine cause red bulls always pick me up form mild depression....like any drug its a fine line and knowing the difference between..enough and too much though...but it can often just be enough to push my mood back in the right direction again...

And phenyethlymaine...where is that found cause I know i have use it before too

trick is with anything is to use it to push you back in the right mood direction and then use some self control to help stay there....not just rely on the drug to solve your issues...

Watch the movie "Limitless" if you dont know what i mean....brilliant flick ;)

LAWL! I'm not resorting to illicit substances. Alcohol has been working so far - for the last 7 years more or less :)

obviously its not working now....so ditch it as much as possible and experiment with something else....you dont want to just add other dependencies to it...