SAU Community

New Pom To Wa

monkeyman

Hi all

My names Cal and I will be moving to Geraldton in Jan 2014 from the UK.

I am a full time car nut (Something which is seen as wierd in the UK as no one likes real cars here)

I run a small business in the UK selling car parts online. most of my customer base is abroad however, mainly in asutralia funny enough.

I have tried researching as much as I can of Australia but certain things are just not easy to find online so I do have a few questions which I hope some people on here could help me out with?

How does car ownership work in WA exactly? Im talking serious basics here because I know nothing in this area.
Do cars require a yearly test etc?
Also what is a rego and yellowslip? Ive seen those words come up but dont understand them exactly.
Is there anything I should look out for when buying my first car? (Aside from obvious mechanical stuff, I simply mean registration wise)

Thanks in advance for any help given

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky w.a is the state thats easiest for us skyline enthusiasts as police aren't as strict here. No yearly tests etc but cops can give u a yellow sticker for an unroadworthy vehicle which then requires a full checkup thru the pits. But if everything is kept to a minimum you'll have no problems in w.a.

I am a full time car nut (Something which is seen as wierd in the UK as no one likes real cars here)

the f**k you talking about? are you from some inbred town in norfolk where they all like tractors and thier sisters?

me thinks youve never been to santa pod my man.

anyway welcome. and dont move to WA. its like 1985 over there.

Santa pod is good dont get me wrong just like donnington, castle coombe and japfest HOWEVER those are events pointed towards people like you and me.

The majority of general public have no love for cars at all and Im not just referring to heavily modified cars either. When I went to america everyone there had some kind of love for cars and at least a bit of knowledge hence why they all have big old gas guzzlers and not crappy new french hatchbacks which break down constantly. From what I have been told Australia is quite similar to america in that respect.

Seriously I hate french cars and hatchbacks with a passion and I cant wait until a clio becomes a rare sight in my life.

Haha May I ask why WA is like 1985? :P

Santa pod is good dont get me wrong just like donnington, castle coombe and japfest HOWEVER those are events pointed towards people like you and me.

The majority of general public have no love for cars at all and Im not just referring to heavily modified cars either. When I went to america everyone there had some kind of love for cars and at least a bit of knowledge hence why they all have big old gas guzzlers and not crappy new french hatchbacks which break down constantly. From what I have been told Australia is quite similar to america in that respect.

Seriously I hate french cars and hatchbacks with a passion and I cant wait until a clio becomes a rare sight in my life.

Haha May I ask why WA is like 1985? :P

unfortunately, oz is becoming more like europe in the respect that the french crap is becoming more popular.

alot of people still dont know squat about cars.

and WA is like 1985 because the life style over there is very similar to the earlier years on the east coast.

they have just started opening shops to trade on sundays.

we have some ghat are 24/7.

yea "hot" hatches are rare here. especially 80's and 90's models. again. unless you join some sort of club or website, hardly anyone knows shit about cars.

great thing is tho, the insurance is cheap. 21 year olds driving 300hp skylines and shit. not a good idea but at least in aus they can afford them.

when you get here, test drive every performance car you can, and make your choice after. they dont get all the imports we get, but they do have domestic v8's and turbo 6's. some are shit, some are not.

Wasn't that a 2L turbo AWD? Sounds a lot like a Pulsar GTiR, therefore is similar and not homo.

You're better than this Plattsy, I thought you could read.

farkin.....

hot hatch are euro.

if not euro is import. come on hank.

farkin.....

hot hatch are euro.

if not euro is import. come on hank.

no, over in euro, hot hatch are euro (of ford).

in straya, hot hatch is a hatch that is quick and nimble with at least half decent styling.

and in australia meat pies and anything even remotely connected to australia is australian. your point is?

Our point is this is where you live now, you drive a Commonwhore, EAD and STFU.

I can't stay mad at you :wub:

Hope we haven't scared you away yet Cal :P