SAU Community

"reading The Riot Act To Dodgy Car Dealers Over Odometer Tricks"

Iron Chef

* there'll be kids not having to flush their life savings down the toilet through rose coloured glasses

* there'll be more accurate grey import values on the 2nd hand car market

* the value of the grey import car you sell will be justified

* more paperwork will be available to justify trust

Old mate the reporter should get his facts clear.

The whole 5 year business with registration being expensive is a load of crap.

2 year rego for a used vehicle and around $1,000 if you get a workshop to do it for you. Just did my rental van for my rental house in the snow and saved a few man ($) and it's 13 years old. Yearly road tax has to be paid and amount depends on type of vehicle but for a skyline it's around the 40,000yen per year.

Most winding back is done by the dealers in Oz,Nz etc but does happen in Japan( mainly foreign dealers of certain ethnicity, sending cars to Russia, Dubai,India, Pakistan etc and also dealing in stolen cars) but the majority of wind backs coming into oz is the dodgey Aussie dealers.

• Like 1

The kms arent being wound back in Japan. The auctions arent just for foreign markets, they are for local markets. If Japanese change the kms, and put the car back up for auction, it will easily be seen from the de-registration papers that the car kms are not correct. The kms are being changed somewhere after purchasing at the buyers request.

I disagree about the log book thing. These could easily go missing in the transit to Aus. Just make sure the seller is open and happy to provide de-registration certificate and the auction sheet.

Edited by BigWillieStyles

Km's do get wound back in the local Japanese market and have seen it done myself and domestic paperwork fudged. Trust me, if you know the right people in Japan, anything is possible.

There's a few Japnaese guys on Yahoo Japan that offer the service to send your dash gauge and have it set to whatever your heart desires.

Thing is this a small percentage and in reality has bugger all to do with the vehicles being shipped o/seas. It's the mongrel dodgey dealers/exporters that to the dodge and then bullshit "I know nothing about that".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see this sort of stuff is starting to get more focus. When I was looking for a car I found numerous examples of R34 GTR's, freshly imported and being sold by dealers that had wound back odometers. It was very simple to track the car to the auction sheet and see the original km's. Just astounding that Fair Trading turn a blind eye to this.

• 3 months later...

Ones of those shops in Parramatta Road had a RZ fd rx7 for sale with 58,000km. The auction sheet sourced when it went through auction suggests differently with more than double the km. It disappeared from carsales for a while, then pops back up again today advertised as 66,000km.

I think that answers the discussion we had earlier in this thread about where the km's are being changed!

See here ----> http://www.fdrx7.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143434&posted=1#post143434

Edited by BigWillieStyles

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

4+ plaintiffs have to share $1 remaining in Phil Lee's account.

Phil has been using blocking manoeuvres which still lead to liquidation; but he seems to have protected his money...

Phil's quote of the day, "I'm not a bad person".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did someone mention Edward Lee ? Police raid Edward Lees and three other importers for odo tampering. About bloody time too !

https://www.facebook.com/PrestigeMotorsportAust/videos/1107318409290351/

Coordinated police raids on a number of Sydney dealerships two days ago have resulted in one dealership, "Dream Car City", having its trading immediately suspended.

Prestige Auto Centre, Edward Lees Imports and Master Cars at Blacktown were also raided.

Those three businesses are accused of digitally altering odometers on at least 100 vehicles imported from Japan and will have to show Fair Trading NSW why they should not be disciplined.

Fair Trading NSW have been investigating the dealers for two years, following a tip-off from a consumer who was concerned about their vehicle’s wear and tear, and information from police.

A number of people are expected to be prosecuted by NSW Police and Fair Trading NSW in connection with the ongoing investigation.

Fines up to $20,000 are in place for odometer tampering, while those who knowingly sell or attempt to sell a tampered vehicle face up to 10 years jail.

We feel this action is long overdue and many dealers in other States should heed this warning. Not only does this illegal behaviour hurt the consumer but it damages the reputation of the industry. It also makes it difficult for businesses like ours that only source genuine vehicles and provide all original paperwork including deregistration paper / export certificate.

Some news articles have claimed that deregistration documents detailing registration and km history are not readily available from Japan, however this is not true. For some years now, online services have been providing this document by email usually within 7 days, for as little as $50.

We recommend everyone considering buying a Japanese import locally, to obtain a copy of this document independently for their own peace of mind.

For those wanting the extra control of sourcing their own vehicle, we recommend using only an industry-recognised and licensed vehicle import agent. With a simple low fixed fee per vehicle, there is simply no conflict of interest in supplying the best quality, genuine km vehicles.

We would like to see the upcoming changes to the import regulations require independent odometer inspections prior to import, with the results included on a publicly available database linked to each vehicle's chassis number. That way anyone could quickly and easily access this information as part of their pre-purchase checks.

The new import scheme from 2018 must be entirely transparent with independent quality checking to eliminate conflicts of interest, protect the consumer, and ensure only the best cars are imported to Australia.

• 9 months later...