SAU Community

Oil Temp On Track

Aazzy

Took the s13 out on the weekend, it's running a 285rwkw rb26dett, and I'm finding that engine oil temp is getting upwards of 120 to 130 degrees when I really start pushing the limits. It does have a reasonable size cooler. And at the moment i have ulx 110 in there. I'm curious to know what everyone else's temps are, It just seems a little too hot. The front bar will be coming off anyway as the next meet Won't be till late January, and I'm looking at running a whole heap of air flutes/ducting anywhere I can fit it.

I saw 140+ in mine after a few laps in summer, that was with a 30 row expensive cooler, running a 14 inch thermo fan. A good synthetic will take it though.

That said, we had to tape up all the coolers on the the Gibson GTR the other day at Sandown as nothing was getting up to temp after 8 laps.

So is GW Synx3000 but it's quite good if you drop it regularly. Full synthetics like the heat more though, and will last longer, but who cares if you drop it every track day...

Only reason I am running Penrite racing 10w40 now is after speaking to the penrite rep, he showed me oil analysis results between the various oils in their range, from actual race meets, and the racing synthetic is perfect for high track temps, the film strength remains for much longer in track conditions. High Zinc levels, SN rated for e85, and It's a reasonably priced oil too.

So does that make the oil better? I would have thought the oil which is hotter is doing a better job of removing heat from the piston crown, which is a good thing.

I agree though, if you are dropping your oil every 300k's it wouldn't really matter what quality oil you run, other than Magnatech? Are you kidding me? It has the worst name ever for sludge creation doesn't it? So many people have warned me away... I would be too scared to try it.

Pete dumps the oil after every track day, so I don't think the oil has time to break down and sludge. Helps when you have a trailer so you don't have to worry about driving it home :P.

At the last track day, using Penrite Racing 10W-40, I was regularly hitting 130°C lol. Car still drove home fine, dumped the oil after as I didn't want to risk it. Oil was about 3,000 km when I hit the track lol.

I saw 140+ in mine after a few laps in summer, that was with a 30 row expensive cooler, running a 14 inch thermo fan. A good synthetic will take it though.

That said, we had to tape up all the coolers on the the Gibson GTR the other day at Sandown as nothing was getting up to temp after 8 laps.

When i put the oil cooler on my 32, 1st track day the temps went to 130+ so went home pulled it apart and freed the thermosate and put it all back together and I haven't seen it go past 110 on the track since, 16 row no fan, if I saw 140 with a cooler that big I'd be looking long and hard at it, then tell someone to fix it !

I used to run Nulon 15-50w street/track, I now use Brad Penn 15 or 20-50w, the green oil