SAU Community

Oil Spraying Out Of Dipstick?

stagea_1998

a ¡±vented¡± catchcan would help torelease pressure would it not....

Admittedly its not fixing the problem, but it will aid to fix the sympton...

And if problem is dead rings like you suggest, thats a big problem to anyone tht isnt an engine builder..

When a 30$ ebay catchcan is an easy fix for anybody with a screwdriver..

Yes, a vented catch can would help release pressure.

What is the PEAK crankcase pressure being created?

There are two concerns using one though:

1. They are illegal

2. You are going to spray oil/dirty whatever is around it.

This would only be a short term fix, & if the owner is going to fit bigger turbos as suggested, it will only accelerate failure!

1. They are illegal

This would only be a short term fix, & if the owner is going to fit bigger turbos as suggested, it will only accelerate failure!

By the way he is driving it I don't think legal means much to him...lol

For added excitement he could vent the catchcan to the front of the back wheels for surprise skids...

but yes, I did only suggest it as a bandaid fix... ;)

• Like 2

I might give it a try anyways. ....I did end up finding my old catch can in the garage so ehh why not

Really??

such a small increase of 1 psi seems like nothing at all....I would have thought it to be something upward of 5 psi ...interesting

yea I got a mate doing a leak down for me this weekend so ill just be twiddling my thumbs until that's done really

Not a dumb question really. ...gotta look at all possibilities here because like I said im stumped lol

but nah didn't block and they're full plumb back too still

Edited by stagea_1998

How'd your leak down test go???

As for those -5's, don't put them in... You'll end up cooking the rear seal and turbine because its passing hot oil through the exhaust... I'm currently doing that to my car and I just rebuild my turbo. Unfortunately I got no choice ;(

sorry guys didnt get a chance to reply i was up at winton raceway yesterday

alright so as i said....i got a mate to do a leak down test for me yesterday and the results i got back was 10% 10% 10% 15% 10% 10%
said he tested on a warm engine with each cylinder at TDC....which all seems fine to me

mind you ...for the past 3 days the stick as been staying in the tube..... i hope the crank case pressure hasnt found somewhere else to sneak out of =S

How'd your leak down test go???

As for those -5's, don't put them in... You'll end up cooking the rear seal and turbine because its passing hot oil through the exhaust... I'm currently doing that to my car and I just rebuild my turbo. Unfortunately I got no choice ;(

i dunno man.... if i was passing oil into the exhaust id be umping out some white smoke wouldnt i ??
i got nothing

sorry guys didnt get a chance to reply i was up at winton raceway yesterday

alright so as i said....i got a mate to do a leak down test for me yesterday and the results i got back was 10% 10% 10% 15% 10% 10%

said he tested on a warm engine with each cylinder at TDC....which all seems fine to me

How much pressure was used for the test?

Was oil used?

How long was each cylinder tested under pressure?

10% loss is the Maximum you want to see on a leakdown test.

15% loss is a Fail on that cylinder.

I don't see how a malfunctioning AAC valve could cause positive crankcase pressure, unless someone has majorly cocked up afew hoses/lines........

How much pressure was used for the test?

Was oil used?

How long was each cylinder tested under pressure?

10% loss is the Maximum you want to see on a leakdown test.

15% loss is a Fail on that cylinder.

I don't see how a malfunctioning AAC valve could cause positive crankcase pressure, unless someone has majorly cocked up afew hoses/lines........

so we were at:

100 psi

didnt drop any oil in as the motor had only been off for about 5 minutes prior to test so didnt seem necessary

approx 5 minutes each cylinder

1. They are illegal

a short term fix isnt appealing to me if theres a problem i like to fix it properly

so im leaning more towards a rebuild here ai..... best start saving up some more cash lol

and yea ive seen the results of a catch can spraying out oil...its really not pretty so i havnt actually installed the can yet but....... going back to a previous suggestion about too much oil (reading off the dipstick it was fine) i drained about 500ml of oil out on Thursday before my mate took it to do the leak down and since then its actually not sprayed out anything ...so far i hope thats it but shit i feel like an idiot if thats all it was

still, now that ive come across a bad reading on the leakdown theres still some minor issues there internally ai?

• 7 years later...

You realise you responded to a 7 year post to someone that hasn't been on here for 4.5 years right ?

Anyway they were referring to excess positive crank case pressure, which a new dipstick is not going to fix.