SAU Community

Yellow Import Tag Defect - R33 Gtr Gracer

sindows

Hey Guys,

I bought GRACER last week the very famous and ICONIC R33 GTR Skyline built from the ground up by none-other than Advan Performance. Pics here: http://advanperformance.com.au/page14/page17/page17.html

It was imported via Peter back in 2004 from NZ where it was built and has the sort after Yellow Import tag. Now the way Peter spoke about the car when I bought it was that it could not be defected. The cops went to town as you can imagine and I have a referral to the DECC (sound/emissions out put) as well as a "MAJOR" defect notice which is requiring a full inspection from the RTA.

Luckily enough I played very dumb and he only gave me a $101 fine for the car being 98mm instead of 100mm or more high off the ground (I had a 250kg in the car but he wouldnt let me get the passengers out.)

My question is - if the Yellow Import Tag is in fact able to void the whole thing of being defected, how was it that they defected the car? I kept showing the officer the yellow import plate and he said that means nothing to him unless he sees the engineering certs (which I had in the folder of car shit at home).

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!

Firstly an officer is going to have no clue about what the car is or what tags it has, he will defect you on what he sees. Nothing will stop you getting a defect.

Been there done that.

It will be then up to you to clear the car with inspections.

I have never heard of some magic tag that enables you to drive the car in the modified state it is in.

P.S I was the one who had a chat to you about the car at the servo on Wed night after the drags :) White R33.

Also, the car is supposed to be measured with no one in it on flat ground, further proving the officer was an arse or didnt know the rule.

Yeah im gonna give Pete a call Monday and see what we can do.

@NYTSKY - Great meeting you mate. Yeah you are right the officer just wants a bust. Im thinking about getting the whole car engineered if Pete cant work some magic. Whats that cost roughly?

I told him to measure with people out of the car, but he said the rule is "as is".

I only got a small fine for that, its the whole "getting the RTA to inspect it" thing thats gonna kill me.

The way I understood the rule was the yellow plate is a personal import plate.

Which how I read it was, the car didn't have to comply to the general ADR's AT THE TIME OF COMPLIANCE. I think you need the compliance paperwork, listing all modifications for it to get you off a defect.

If it was complied as a stock GTS4, then you might have some work to do to clear it.

I'm not 100% sure however...

Can't help but notice you said its a R33 GTR Bud, its a GTS4. I hope you knew that when you bought it. Just saying as the bloke selling it was advertising as a GTR and it seemed a bit slack to me to buyers who did not know the cars past.

Edited by Bennis

Yeah I think so to. I am gonna call Pete in the morning to see what can be done. ;)

It is a real GTR, it has a GTR badge on the boot lid, an RB20DET in it and GTR door trims. I dont know what the hell you are talking about mate.

Got it inspected today and the defect removed.

It is a real GTR, it has a GTR badge on the boot lid, an RB20DET in it and GTR door trims. I dont know what the hell you are talking about mate.

Got it inspected today and the defect removed.

captain sarcasm here. love it!

well done with the defect. they make you change any parts?

captain sarcasm here. love it!

well done with the defect. they make you change any parts?

Haha I try. There is no point arguing with an idiot.

Put a silencer in the exhaust, raised the car an inch and then sent it off to an approved RTA inspecter. They passed it in an instant due to the Yellow Import Tag. So it wasnt useless afterall. :)

I'd check the Japanese chassie number and ask nissan for what their fast system says before calling people an idiot

Just as a point of interest, a sun roof was not an option for a Gtr

Mate I really dont care. I love the car. Its just another one to add to the collection. Wether its a GTST/GTS4/GTS/GTR it does the job for me :)

Edited by sindows
  • Like 1

Made me feel better about daily driving my car with a loud exhaust and aggressive cams when you said they cleared the defect.....

Until I read.

Put a silencer in the exhaust, raised the car an inch and then sent it off to an approved RTA inspecter. They passed it in an instant due to the Yellow Import Tag. So it wasnt useless afterall. :)

Wow no need to blow up, I was just making sure you knew what you bought. Some people these days lol...

My current system is a gift from my other half. Not easily removed :P

You mean David that "your other half is not easily removed"???

But we thought you liked her! Everybody liked her!!!

:P