SAU Community

M35 Ecu Upgrade Options

DaveM35

Often wondered how hard it would be for a tech minded person to simply copy a nismo or impul chip put it on a blank chip and do it that way much like copying an iso image of a movie or computer program.

No-one will spend the time and money on development of a daughter board, but there is another simple option. Just get the Nismo flash off it's processor and dump it into a stock one. Theoretically the Consult 3 can do it, but I am yet to try.

Yeah fair enough.. was thinking tho if our problem is the oem ecu being kept happy, having something intercept the outgoing signal (to modify) and having a closed loop or oem signal returned would be the case in solving some of our problems (which I assumed a daughter board could be of benefit) literally something running the parameters of what the oem ecu should be seeing. Maps etc. (Almost like an safc or crome for honda? ) mind my ignorance

Edited by Reaperblitz

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as my M35 should be ready for tuning very soon.

Currently stock ECU with Emanage piggy backed making just over 240+kw on pump 98.

The car will soon, hopefully, still have the same mods / tune however the auto will be missing (manual yay!)

I assume error codes will appear due to no auto and i do wonder how drivable the car will be with said error codes if at all. If anything it will be an interesting day.

I'm still unsure what path to take to get the car tuned and running fine with the manual in place...

Thoughts?

I wondered how the blokes using Link units are travelling with their tuning.

Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers for the info Scotty.

I'll let people know how i go starting the M35 once everything is bolted together. Hopefully the error codes wont prevent me driving it with the current set up.

Then I will have the luxury of more time to investigate a real tuning solution.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone looked at using an EMTRON? They're powerful and can control a heap of stuff, cams, quad DBW throttles and more. They obviously aren't cheap but are well priced for the performance etc they provide. It won't control the auto box but may be a good solution for the engine?

https://www.emtronaustralia.com.au

Also what makes the NISMO ECU better than the stock? I read before that you can ditch the fuel cut and rev cut, anything else?

No throttle delay/restriction.

Worth it; for that ALONE.

As in you wouldn't need the brake cut mod? Or something I've missed?

Brake cut mod is still useful, but the throttle response is much more aggressive and linear.

What you put in at the pedal; you receive instantly at the TB; not a version of it; some days/weeks later...

Ahhhh yea. Lots of DBW cars suffer similarly, you can normally get a little box that plugs in under the accelerator pedal and must alter the signal to ECU/TB. Helps heaps with that and has multiple settings as to how aggressive/sensitive you want it. I think it has an "economy" setting too that must do the opposite and make it less sensitive/aggressive.

Ahhhh yea. Lots of DBW cars suffer similarly, you can normally get a little box that plugs in under the accelerator pedal and must alter the signal to ECU/TB. Helps heaps with that and has multiple settings as to how aggressive/sensitive you want it. I think it has an "economy" setting too that must do the opposite and make it less sensitive/aggressive.

The problem is; the controllers can't actually open the throttle from a standstill any faster than standard, so all you get is a weird, jerky oversensitive throttle when you're cruising, with a shiteload of lag off mark...

Has anyone looked at using an EMTRON? They're powerful and can control a heap of stuff, cams, quad DBW throttles and more. They obviously aren't cheap but are well priced for the performance etc they provide. It won't control the auto box but may be a good solution for the engine?

https://www.emtronaustralia.com.au

Considering the price of the ecu is twice what I bought my last stagea for, and you can't actually buy one due to some exclusivity complex they have, I decided to ignore that particular ecu brand. I needed around the clock factory support which even Haltech couldn't give me, infact I am still waiting for a call back from their support line.

Link gave us what we were looking for, a brand new Fury 6 cylinder specific ecu with direct wideband, cvt cam control and the ability to run our M35 electronic throttle in a cheaper package than the other leading brands. Unfortunately it's out of the budget of most Stagea owners, but for those pushing the boundaries with power it should be the best option available, and other than the MAP/IAT and flex sensors it will plug straight in with the patch loom. Finally a better ecu than the Fcon for standalone control.

• Like 3

Very impressive result for a first start and an untuned drive. Well done guys! Have you fully disconnected the standard ECU from Ricks car now?

Very impressive result for a first start and an untuned drive. Well done guys! Have you fully disconnected the standard ECU from Ricks car now?

No, the stock ecu must remain in place. Rick and I have set the Fury up to run in parallel with the stock ecu, which is still running the cams and throttle. Seems to work well with no errors at this stage. Still a long way to go before removing the stock ecu will be possible, most likely we would need to ditch the auto before going full standalone.

• Like 1

I'm quickly losing hope that my M35 will be drivable for the xmas break :(

More effort will be made to try and get it running with the 350z manual in place and just tricking the stock ECU that it's an auto box is in neutral...

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon so i will try and take some pictures as i didn't get a chance last weekend :)

I have a feeling once the chaos of xmas is over i'll be asking Scotty and Rick a tonne of questions :P