SAU Community

M35 Ecu Upgrade Options

DaveM35

Considering the price of the ecu is twice what I bought my last stagea for, and you can't actually buy one due to some exclusivity complex they have, I decided to ignore that particular ecu brand. I needed around the clock factory support which even Haltech couldn't give me, infact I am still waiting for a call back from their support line.

Link gave us what we were looking for, a brand new Fury 6 cylinder specific ecu with direct wideband, cvt cam control and the ability to run our M35 electronic throttle in a cheaper package than the other leading brands. Unfortunately it's out of the budget of most Stagea owners, but for those pushing the boundaries with power it should be the best option available, and other than the MAP/IAT and flex sensors it will plug straight in with the patch loom. Finally a better ecu than the Fcon for standalone control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bONZ7y4fIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXt7ReGApDM

The SL8 is only about $2000. But yea I understand the issues with only insight tuning them at the moment I think. I like the idea that it most of the wiring is done just with a patch loom. So the fury will be able to control the cams and everything that the other ECUs seem to struggle with?

Hypothetically.. What's stopping a bare shell nm35 to have any engine dropped in and wired up....

Now think bare shell again but putting a vq25det in there... to run everything squarely off an aftermarket ecu would be hard if we didn't know parameters/ sensors and data... but we have that now... so if we go back to the basics and say fuel and air adjustments first, then throttle by wire then electrical input, then sensors and cam timing, would that be the harder route to take just to run that engine on its own without a factory ecu in place?

These cars have 8 computers communicating down a CAN line, if you take one out the rest work with limited functionality. If you are happy to drive a car with no kickdown, or for example the auto in limp mode with set line pressure clunking into gears, ditching the ecu can work. I prefer the stock ecu to remain and run happily while the Link actually controls the engine, to keep all the other systems working as they should, and I figure if Mercury had done that with the Elite install the car wouldn't have been off the road for a year and a half before they gave up totally.

A manual gearbox will help make life easier, but there are still plenty of functions to sort out if you want the car to drive anything like factory. Anyone willing to put the R+D into getting a new ecu to run smoothly I will take my hat off to, it's a crapload of work.

The SL8 is only about $2000. But yea I understand the issues with only insight tuning them at the moment I think. I like the idea that it most of the wiring is done just with a patch loom. So the fury will be able to control the cams and everything that the other ECUs seem to struggle with?

Can I ring them at 10pm and have someone answer a specific question about a VQ map? We needed factory support for this, and what we are doing no tuner would ever like to waste their time with. Not to mention I can't even get a copy of the Emtron software. When it's a reliable product and available for purchase I should be able to wire it or any aftermarket ecu in, and get it to run, now I know what's involved.

Yes, the new Link should run the cams with a few changes to the frequency input, and our throttle is the same as the VQ35 so that is no problem. I will most likely look at those down the track once it's working well with the stock ecu.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

pretty sure Syvecs could do it. Ryan is/has been super helpful.

with the custom CAN im sure its possible. to talk to the gearbox. they do a standalone that will control a bmw 7 speed into any car.

Syvecscandata.docx

syvecscantype.docx

the unused frames can be customized or the whole thing customized, you would just need to know what the can frame content is for the auto. this is form a 08 vq35hr 350z with the e-vtc and normal vct and dbw with stuff adjusted from the factory steering wheel buttons. so the "nissan" can is ok i believe.

i abit of a noob, i dont know how to covert a screengrab into a jpg..

Syvecs came to the party with my ecu, when motec told me that i need 2x m600's+the dbw4....lol.

pretty sure Syvecs could do it. Ryan is/has been super helpful.

with the custom CAN im sure its possible. to talk to the gearbox. they do a standalone that will control a bmw 7 speed into any car.

I had a similar conversation with a tuner the other day who cut me off when I was explaining the issues, it's much more complicated than it sounds. Yes it could work well if you have the total support of the ecu manufacturer and they have a test car to do the countless hours of R+D and testing. Even better would be to have Nissan on board to explain the weird protocol they decided to use. All this would be made much easier if the CAN used a standard OBD2 protocol, and that is likely why it will never happen.

No need for all that anyway, it is possible to standalone the engine and keep the stock ecu happily running the throttle and cams. HKS did it years ago, and now the Link is up and running i am hoping some of the gearbox functions are easy to control directly. The CAN is way too slow imo anyway.

i apologize for that, im on the same page now, after reading this whole thread. good luck with the pioneering m35 stuffs.

the biggest issue is deciphering the can frame content etc etc.

do we know if the vq25det has the same auto box as the 3.5?

Same box, but the tcu was moved into the valve body, along with using the different CAN interface.

Manual 6 speed would be a better idea I think.

No need to decipher the CAN if you leave the stock ecu in place and keep it happy. Will let you know tonight how that works out if you like, the link is getting tuned later this arvo. :)

• Like 1

Same box, but the tcu was moved into the valve body, along with using the different CAN interface.

Manual 6 speed would be a better idea I think.

No need to decipher the CAN if you leave the stock ecu in place and keep it happy. Will let you know tonight how that works out if you like, the link is getting tuned later this arvo. :)

So you got the link working well? Got around the 30% throttle issue you were having?

will the Link work with a hypergear turbo? Or will I still have oil pressure issues at idle?

just saying

Gotta watch the "gearbox issues" with them;

Makes the rods appear out the side of the block without warning... ;)

will the Link work with a hypergear turbo? Or will I still have oil pressure issues at idle?

just saying

Yes idle on ceramic balls now, with factory oil flow and pressure.

Funny Test car throw two con rods out of engine block and knocked out a section of transmission during 1st to 2nd shift at 40% throttle on 9psi. I'm quite interested to find out what that might be corresponded to.

must be the cheap china copy of the Transgo in that box.....just saying because it the first compliant ever!!!!!

LOL'z at the gearbox comment.....it's called a shift kit Tao.....It ups the pressure in the gearbox so yes at full throttle it will feel firmer.....but you knew that right?

CAN timing is out.....OMG are you really that arrogant that you think people are actually listing to you now Tao. I'm trying not to laugh at you but again you have opened a window.

Tao:

* Lets talk turbo....your turbo as explained before has issues. After a huge exchange on FB and SAU and you getting all the threads deleted we have come to the assumption that your best turbo is one that I built and used a little over 8 years ago!!! Your a real front runner there bud!!!!

* M35 stagea...you purchase one that already had all the mod's from Scott or myself. OMG....your a real inspiration and at the forefront of development there bud!!!!

* M35 ECU and Trans....do you even know what that is bro?

Tao.....heads up mate. Come up with something or I will keep owning you. Stop your little bitching session at trying to push people away from Scott or others that love the community. The difference is bro.....we are hear for the people....not the profit. In other words there is no BS* with us.

anyway....happy Australia day bro!!!! have a VB!!!!

* Bullshit

How does my post has any thing to do with you or Scotty?

LoL, so lets get it straight, I just spent 10G on a car with thousands dollars of your work which I drove on daily bases that doesn't feel right, and you are silencing me from asking genuine questions.

I'm a new owner to two M35s Stageas, I've spent $35G so far in my research and developments getting the right turbo configurations for OEM housings as well as a low oil consumption bearing assembly, I see no one else is doing that for this community. So sorry to ask stupid questions. There are hundreds of people like my self searching for answers, it might be worth while giving informative replies.

By the way since CBB turbos worked for you 8 years ago, I will keep those balls rolling.

LoL, so lets get it straight, I just spent 10G on a car with thousands dollars of your work that I drove on daily bases that doesn't feel right, and you are silencing me from asking genuine questions. I'm a new owner of two M35s Stageas, so sorry to ask stupid questions, since there are hundreds of people reading this forum, it might be worth while giving informative replies.

By the way since CBB turbos worked for you 8 years ago, I will keep those balls rolling.

You can ask away buddy....but your the first out of more that 50+ shift kits that i've heard bitch about it. Genuine question or trying to discredit.....everything I've read from you is the later. Tao....give up!!!

Or the other option.....buy a stock M35 and develop it. Your only development has been the turbo.....and that as we all know has been a fail because Nissan failed to provide enough oil pressure at idle for your ling long $895 turbo rebuilds(Remind me to ring em in the morning for you).

Tao...serious bud.....lets just be friends. Maybe we can dance off into the sunset together.....but please!!!...

" Help me to help you " JM

Older Bush bearing high flows requires the sump oil restrictor drilled. While the new Ceramic ball bearing system is designed to work with factory oil supply system and provide supreme throttle response. This are used on all M35 high flows that I currently do.

Regarding to transmission slam into gears, I've been into Scotty's car and it wasn't anything like it, hence the earlier question about ecu and transmission.