SAU Community

Japanese To English Conversion For V36 (Oem Swap)

Zveruga

Hi guys,

I am in talks with chaps that are capable of doing the following:

- Swap the navi unit on v36 Skylines, including the keypad and all dials using *new* OEM Infiniti parts, converting entire system and buttons to English and keeping all functionality like trip computers, diagnostics, cameras, etc

- Enable DVD playback (*this maybe limited to zone-free and Europe coded DVDs, but there may be some workarounds)

- Enable USB playback

- Fix radio frequencies

- FIx time zone

- *maybe* navi maps/TMC traffic. I could not find a copy of australian maps dvd used in local Infinities, maybe they are the same as Nissans and in the same format as for other regions or maybe not.

Full conversion takes 1-2 days for 2006-2009 models and less than a day for 2010 and later models.

Approximate cost for 5 cars is $5-6k per car and for 10 cars is $4-4.5k per car

I'm wondering if anyone could be interested in making such a swap.

I would consider it. However, the fact that it's more work for my 2009 model and the fact that I don't like anyone else working on my vehicle's wiring, especially after all the work I've put into the alarm and sound system, keeps me from even thinking about taking part in this. Thanks for lining it up but I'll pass.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I've got one more fellow skyline owner interested

3 more people to find (for $5-6k/car)

OR

8 more people to find (for $4-$4.5k/car)

Apparently one problem has been discovered - V36es are scattered all over the Australia. This is easier to solve than getting guys and equipment down here, though.

so what are you going to do when the unit shuts down and stops the car?

I don't have answer to the same question even for the factory unit.

Nobody in Melbourne can even program bloody spare key for this car.

On a series 2 v36, $12k in bits and time. Using local NEW PARTS from the local g37 to do it. Not a used item from a wreck overseas.

We have been down this road on the phone and on forums. The vast amount of people will spend $1-200 on this idea few will spend $4k none will spend $10k. Some will try rudely to get the part numbers off me and get told no.

There is no cheap way out. The hacks the were done originally on the 35 series systems had a habit of reverting to boot loader due to a glitch in the hardware. Apply that same glitch to a part the RUNS the car via 3 network LANs and you are asking for trouble or even better a lawsuit when the system fails, stalls the car in an intersection and at worst gets someone hurt. Extreme case but entirely possible.

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys, It's a rip off as they want to charge so much for this. In Brisbane it's 12 grand for a full conversion on a V36 with Sat Nav, if no sat nav it's 3 grand, still a lot. It not really the work that it takes, it the know how on what buttons to press. there charging like a wounded bull. If they made it cheaper they would have more jobs done as everyone would rush in.

I'm looking around and I will find a cheaper option.

Wish me luck.

Hey Guys, It's a rip off as they want to charge so much for this. In Brisbane it's 12 grand for a full conversion on a V36 with Sat Nav, if no sat nav it's 3 grand, still a lot. It not really the work that it takes, it the know how on what buttons to press. there charging like a wounded bull. If they made it cheaper they would have more jobs done as everyone would rush in.

Wish me luck.

Good Luck! You're gonna need it!

Actually no you wont, cause you wont find anything anyway......

Wish me luck.

thats fine.

YOU FKN DO IT THEN!

when you work on as many of these things as I do on a daily basis then have the gall to tell me I'm expensive.

Seriously.

this was a $90k car when new and you expect parts to be cheap. I have already been privy to two cars with dead HDD units where the system shuts the AC/Radio and some of the car down. that replacement unit is $7k.

yes I can get the navi going on these but thats not what everyone wants. they want the entire thing in english, TV working and navi working and they want to pay FK ALL for it much like yourself.

/rant.

Wish me luck.

Good luck with that.

Swapping the Japanese unit with a Global IT08 unit starts with something like this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2010-2011-2012-2013-INFINITI-NISSAN-OEM-Radio-GPS-Navigation-DVD-Audio-25915-/111409442334?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item19f0852e1e) which will be circa $1200 shipped plus you need some additional bits and pieces from Europe or US (the latter is cheaper) will be under a grand or so.

So the bare minimum you need to fork out two grands if you do it yourself.

I assume you don't know how to do it so you'd need to pay people to make a quality swap and trust me they don't work for 30 bucks per hour.

This is how this cost builds.

If you find someone willing to disassemble the unit and give us the HDD image along with the unit to build a dev stand, I may have a look but this translation will take quite some time after we confirm no check sums / other protection involved and decode character generation - and my time is not cheap either. A similar task of bithacking cellular phones 10 years ago used to take a week of work per model for me.

Edited by Zveruga

thats fine.

YOU FKN DO IT THEN!

when you work on as many of these things as I do on a daily basis then have the gall to tell me I'm expensive.

Seriously.

this was a $90k car when new and you expect parts to be cheap. I have already been privy to two cars with dead HDD units where the system shuts the AC/Radio and some of the car down. that replacement unit is $7k.

yes I can get the navi going on these but thats not what everyone wants. they want the entire thing in english, TV working and navi working and they want to pay FK ALL for it much like yourself.

/rant.

Wrong answer, You didn't see me mentioning name or where exact location these prices came from, but you just did. Forums are for sharing knowledge, information and now how. If people just want the NAV working you should just supply the work people ask for. If they want it all they can pay for it, if they just want the NAV working you should give them what they want. There are heaps of cars out there and there a heaps more coming. Just the same way you learnt how to do this you should pass it on to who ever wants to learn. There is plenty of cars to go around for everyone to make an earn if they are in the audio electrical retails servicing business. You should know not all will want to take it on, also people will inform where the best place is to go. Sharing is receiving what you know and it comes back to you in double always. Don't get upset on what people say on a forum as this is what forums are for. If you know what you know, pass it on, if you don't people will wonder, why???? It may just not cost what you are charging, HEY? Just the way you found out, others will also. I don't want to make money on this idea..... I want to save money having someone doing it on my own car for me. I'm in a totally different business, so it won't affect you. You should charge to teach people how to do this in other states of the country, we are Aussies, we share knowledge and know how. Imagine if you set up a classroom to teach other audio service centers how to do this, you would make money and be the talk of the nation. WOW these guys are really nice to share, not keeping it to yourself. What goes around comes around. Please understand where we guys come from that own these cars, a lot of the cars are only a little bit more than what you want to charge. Let the client buy the parts and you fit them, you still make money and everyone is happy. I bet you would get more business do this if you share. Sharing is expanding.

Have a great day. ALL REPLIES ARE WELCOME. LETS ALL HAVE A SAY????

Cheers.

Thread just got funny.

Why should someone who makes money from their knowledge have an obligation to pass it on to you, just because he is on a forum? There no obligation to help people, it's done out out of courtesy. When that courtesy becomes charity I k ow I wouldn't be doing it out of my pocket, to random whingers on forums.

Sounds like you are seriously butthurt.

By all means try to figure it out yourself. Good luck. But nobody, including and especially businesses, need to pass on information to you to make it easier.

• Like 1

That's hilarious.

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve.

You've been offered at least two options already.

One is using local people with some g-o-d blessed parts with fat dealer margin and as everything in Oz, it's a bit expensive.

Second is effectively 2-3 times cheaper using blokes who could fly down to Oz and make it, effectively outsourced.

To make it cheaper, you perhaps need to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Oh wait, you need somebody to tell you what to do, why on earth they "should" do it for free?

Edited by Zveruga