SAU Community

Gtr Scam

Oli1710

I'm hoping someone can help me locate a black 2009 GTR I recently traded in. The GTR has a broken shift fork (I still have the broken piece) and it was recommended by Nissan that the transmission requires a full rebuild at the quoted cost of $47,000. I traded the car in to a Ford dealership (AHG member) in Western Australia with full disclosure of the transmission problem for a suitable price given the written recommendation from Nissan that the transmission requires a full rebuild on four separate documents. The car seemed to drive well but it was deemed a time bomb by Nissan. They could not tell me which shift fork was broken as the forks are too deep in the transmission and the only way to find out would be to strip the transmission...$$$$$... It would cost thousands just to identify the problem given a transmission oil change alone costs around $1500.

After the trade in, the Ford dealer obtained a mechanical inspection from Nissan (another AHG member) that indicated there was nothing mechanically wrong with the car without carrying out any repairs. The transmission problem was not mentioned anywhere on the mechanical inspection that indicated everything is normal. To complete the deception the Ford dealer advertised the car on Carsales and other sites with the words, "Launch control never used." This is after I spend 10 minutes explaining to the Ford manager how the launch control felt after he asked me if I had used it. I had also disclosed to the Nissan Service Manager and GTR engineer that I had used the launch control after they expressly asked me when I presented the car with the transmission problem (2nd, 4th and 6th gears were locked out). The ad also stated, "100 point mechanical and safety inspection provided." The problem could only be identified by stripping the transmission so this was also included to make a buyer believe the car was in perfect condition, given a standard 100 point mechanical inspection could not possibly identify the problem. The car was advertised a a price that would cost just over $100,000 drive away.

I have only been able to obtain information that the car may have been sold in NSW, so a registration change may have taken place. The VIN is: JN1GANR35A0400160. If you know someone who has this car please ask them to contact me and I will forward the correct history documentation for the car. I am in the process of commencing legal action against the Nissan and Ford dealer involved. Their conduct infuriates me and it makes me sick to think they profited big time at the expense of some poor person who has probably spent over $100,000 for their dream car to find it's a lemon. When I approached the dealers about their conduct they were arrogant and claimed they had done nothing wrong...

• Like 3

Cheers mate. I love the GTR and anyone who has the opportunity to own one should enjoy the experience, not pay $100,000+ worth of frustrations. It's one thing for a buyer to take reasonable measures to inspect the car, but it's another when doing that would not identify the problem and the seller has lied to cover up the problem. Even falsified inspection documents from a seemingly reputable source (Nissan High performance Dealership) by omitting relevant information.

No sorry I can't see it. Even so, the dealer should have fixed it not the next person that buys it. The problem is that a chunk of metal the size of your thumb broke off inside the transmission and made the most horrible noise until the transmission locked the effected gears out... so who knows what other damage it caused. The real issue is the deceptive cover up. Expressly making it sound like nothing is wrong when there is $47,000 worth wrong.

Oh Dear,...

I'm sitting here wondering what those Ford and Nissan dealers would be most afraid of.

* I think you're on the right track with this thread

* I presume the buyer made the purchase more than 7 days ago?

* You'd be prepared to act as a witness if a law suit ensued?

* Bad publicity during a law suit will probably be the dealers' greatest fear!

You yourself have been very gracious as a stickler for justice!!!

Wow $47k for a transmission rebuild. Many of the trustworthy performance workshops have experience with these cars now, the mystery / mystique Nissan plays on with their pricing is no longer an issue. Most workshops that race them / have customers racing them have pulled apart the transmissions (racepace vic, just jap sydney).

Good work on your concern for the next owner. They really have zero shame don't they.

Oh Dear,...

I'm sitting here wondering what those Ford and Nissan dealers would be most afraid of.

* I think you're on the right track with this thread

* I presume the buyer made the purchase more than 7 days ago?

* You'd be prepared to act as a witness if a law suit ensued?

* Bad publicity during a law suit will probably be the dealers' greatest fear!

You yourself have been very gracious as a stickler for justice!!!

I have a law degree. They don't need to sue them as I will involve Consumer Affairs and make a complain fro misleading and deceptive conduct. They knew of the fault but took measures to cover it up. Under consumer protection law you only have to show that a consumer or "potential consumer" "could have" been misled or deceived. An actual deception does not need to take place, so the advert alone is enough evidence and in this case I believe an actual deception may have occurred if the car has been sold.

With regard to price I only speaking from what I have been quoted by Nissan. Below is an email from a Nissan service manager confirming the $47,000.00 rebuild. This was only about a weeks ago. I believe Nissan had their part to play in this. Both dealers operate under one dealership - AHG. Nissan should have mentioned the transmission issue in the official report on the car rather than assisting to cover it up. I would have expected better judgement from Nissan. These cars get as much bad publicity as good because of the lack of support from Nissan when things go wrong... "we can't repair any fault with the transmission, we can only replace them". So you're basically up for about $47,000 whether its a very minor problem or a complete transmission destruction if you want OEM work done.

My questions

Good morning Carl,

with regard to the trade with Seaview Ford of the Nissan GTR, registration 1DWG-416 and subsequent mechanical inspection by Northside Nissan at the request of Seaview Ford:

1. Did Northside Nissan represent to Seaview Ford that the launch control on the vehicle was "never used"?

2. Do Northside Nissan maintain that the transmission required a full rebuild, as stated by Northside Nissan on four separate documents to myself?

3. What is the cost of a full transmission rebuild to a consumer (not AHG group member)? I was previously informed by Northside Nissan it would be somewhere in the ball-park of $47,000.00. Is this correct?

4. would a standard 100 point mechanical inspection by a third party have identified the broken shift fork in the GTR transmission?

Kind Regards,

Oliver.

Response

Hi Oliver,

Seaview Ford had us carry out a data download which did not indicate anything abnormal on the vehicle and there was no discussion regarding the launch control.

We do still recommend a transmission rebuild as per your invoice # 267364.

The previously supplied estimate for a transmission overhaul has not changed. As usual any estimate is subject to a full strip and inspection to identify items required.

A standard 100 point inspection would not identify a broken selector unless there were a problem with the gear change on a road test & any concerns identified on a road test would not be able to conclude a broken selector without further investigation.

I hope this answers any concerns you have.

Regards Carl,

I see the dealer has gone with the old "it's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court" strategy...on the assumption that someone trading in a time bomb will be glad just to get rid of it, dust their hands and never hear from it again. They would have jumped at the opportunity to wipe 47k worth of value off your trade in and slap it straight back on the windscreen price.

Kudos to you for holding them responsible!

I noticed the ad was from six months ago. Do you have proof the Ford dealer didn't just get the transmission repaired? After all this is why they would have accepted the car as a trade in (i.e. to repair and sell).

As this forum shows, there are a number of workshops around the country that can repair R35 GTR gearboxes for substantially less than $47,000. JustJap have new replacements for $18,999.

I am in the process of commencing legal action against the Nissan and Ford dealer involved.

On what basis?

Edited by BuuBox

With all due respect guys, I'm not going to play all my cards here. I'm just interested in finding where the car ended up and speaking with the owner. I had conversations with the Ford Dealership general manager and he only defended the allegations I put to him. They gave no indication the car was repaired. I also emailed the Nissan dealership that provided the report a day after the trade in. Ford dealer claimed in an email the report is all the paperwork provided by Nissan regarding the car. The report did not mention the transmission fault (I have the report).

I have documents from the same Nissan dealer stating the transmission needs a rebuild (as the person trading in), and Ford have a document that says it's all good (as the seller)... You work it out... People screwed = me and the next buyer = consumers.

I'm not sure why you are pursuing this. The dealer would have had to onsell the GTR with a statutory warranty anyways, so if the trans breaks then it'll be repaired. Trans builds can be done for 10k+ or replacements for $23k inc labour...

Just leave it mate. Its not your problem anymore - unless of course you left your drugz stash under the passenger floor and you're trying to locate the new owner to recover it :P

I'm not sure why you are pursuing this. The dealer would have had to onsell the GTR with a statutory warranty anyways, so if the trans breaks then it'll be repaired. Trans builds can be done for 10k+ or replacements for $23k inc labour...

Just leave it mate. Its not your problem anymore - unless of course you left your drugz stash under the passenger floor and you're trying to locate the new owner to recover it :P

I dont find this comment even remotely funny.

Obviously some people struggle understanding the whole concept of having a conscience.

Kudos to you oli1710

• Like 1

I also disagree with your comments on the basis that the buyer of this GTR can possibly on-sell this car to the next "ignorant"; and then all bets are off (with respect to warranty).

For example, who's to say that the Ford dealer didn't sell it to his cousin; who then sells it to Joe Blow? The warranty chain has then been broken eh wut?

Then the Ford dealer can walk off looking for another opportunity to scam.