SAU Community

Map Sensored Ecu's

I'm doing a bit of research for a vehicle I'm planning on purchasing R34 GT-T, I would like to go a Map Sensor ECU so I can get away with out needing to run a Air flow meter

before people say "use the search button" I already have read some threads but still confused about what the majority of people on here are running

so what options do I have taking into account I live in Victoria and my closest dyno tuners are in melbourne, Link, ViPec, Adaptronic ,Microtech, Haltech etc ??

I don't mind spending coin as long as it is on something that will work with future mods (bigger turbo, cams, Injectors etc..)

I am sure you are not planning to spend maybe $2k + just to get rid of your afm which will give you no performance gains at all. So you need to weigh up the expense of putting in a bigger turbo, injectors etc and then trailering your car to a tuner or getting a workshop that can install the mods and the ecu and tune it. In either case you need to choose a tuner and find out what they can install and tune.

Since it appears you haven't bought the car yet it would seem a lot easier to find one with the ecu already installed.

• Like 1

I'm after peoples opinions on what works best and what doesn't, I will be putting on a bigger turbo and injectorsetc I'd be happy to look at a apexi Pfc but from what I have read they are now old school compared to what a link,haltech,vipec can do

What's your concern with an afm? As kiwi said it's alot of cash just to get rid of it.

A nistune ecu would be the best option, but you haven't actually mentioned your goals except for diching the afm.

Who told you they are bad?

What's your concern with an afm? As kiwi said it's alot of cash just to get rid of it.

A nistune ecu would be the best option, but you haven't actually mentioned your goals except for diching the afm.

Who told you they are bad?

My goal is to get around 300kw, as for the afm I had a few rb30's back in the day and they were always giving trouble

Easily done with a z32 afm and nistune ecu.

I also had issues years ago with a vl turbo, went to a wolf 3d.

Really no need to go to an aftermarjet ecu with how good nistune is. Also keeps everything looking stock.

It kind of depends what you wan't to do with the car?

If it's going to be a street car up to around 400rwkw and you don't need a whole range of additional functions then a nistune board and vh45 afm will allow for tuning scope right up to 400kw and will be a very easy, factory idle/cold start/cruise etc Light load, transient load, temp variation etc are all measured better with an AFM and all result in a much nicer street car.

If you wan't a whole range of additional options, I'd go a plug in Haltech with optional plug loom and can expander for things like can 02 input etc.

Edited by XRATED

Hi all,

ECUs are a personal choice, some are better than others for some things etc, but you're looking at 'the last 5%' in the real world.

I have personally always run Haltech and suggested them for clients vehicles.

My 32R had a Power FC and once swapped with a Platinum Pro plug and plag ECU, I found around 40kwatw, it used less fuel and was faster to drive on track due to the PFC's weird boost map (it made boost ramp up hard even though I had the throttle at 70%/ high revs, the rear would break loose killing lap times. Once I went to Haltech, I could feed boost depending on throttle)

Hope it helped.

Mark :)

OP - For 300rwkw and a street car, you're talking some pretty hefty expense for not a lot of value in terms of useable features.

Nistune and a BRAND NEW GENUINE Z32 AFM will get you there, for $1000 or so. Comes well under half the cost of any other option you were thinking about.

Power results will be the same, tune will be just as good, all the factory stuff will work just as fine.

The things you wont get for example are boost control vs RPM, additional inputs (for oil temp cut out for example)... And other such things, a lot of which, for a daily/street car you neither need nor will ever use.

My 32R had a Power FC and once swapped with a Platinum Pro plug and plag ECU, I found around 40kwatw,

That has nothing to do with the ECUs itself all things being equal and in working order. Just a case of a rubbish tune in the PFC vs the tune in the Haltech. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you really want an aftermarket map sensored ECU i would go the Link.

I dont know who tunes them in Melbourne but maybe speak to Maztech and see what Anthony thinks. He will probably say a Microtech or Haltech though i think

by the time you buy a z32 afm, electronic boost controller, a nistune board and install it and tune it, you are at around the same cost an adaptronic would cost which has a inbuilt map sensor and can controll boost properly with a cheap mac valve.

www.skylineecu.com

only way to fly.