SAU Community

M35 Tailgate Help

TALWill

Hi all,

Sorry to make the first post a need but I'm really lost. Just picked up my first Stagea, an 03 Rx4. 1 day after getting it the main tailgate (not the glass) would not open. I found the emergency release but now it won't close completely. It latches but the dash warning and interior light stay on. I checked the two rear door related fuses in the driver kick panel but all was ok. The car does not seem to be fitted with any kind of auto close. The glass access works perfectly.

Any help/advice appreciated.

There is a relay box behind the battery, you will need to remove the covers to see it. Make sure the hole in the bottom of the battery compartment isn't blocked and filling it with water.

Dry as a bone. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, but did you check the fuses on the relay board?

Yes. There are two boxes behind the battery and 1 in the kick panel. All seem ok. Is there a sensor or something in the door that reels it to lock/close after you shut it?

There would be a microswitch for the button, and another in the lock mechanism to engage the auto close. I haven't played around with the lock as yet. Perhaps the wiring where it goes through the hinge may be playing up?

I hope they didn't drill through it when the child restraints were fitted.

Neither the lock or the auto close work, but it's been complied form3 years.... It worked well then stoped.

Anymore hints before I engage an auto elec? Any simple tests I could do?

Nothing in that tailgate is simple unfortunately.

I second that!

Did you just pull the fuses out and visually check them?

I would surgest using a multimeter or test light on each side of the fuses.

Motor is stuffed. Im in brisbane if u need help replacing

Thanks mate :) I might need to take you up on that. Beer and pizza will be provided! Is there a multimeter check I can do on the motor? I'll pull the trim off tomorrow and make sure it's not a plug undone or something easy :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting, I just got the same problem, but the glass window won't open either, checked all the fuses in the footwell, all seem ok, I checked the fuses in the engine bay as well, are any of the relays related to the tailgate?

Edited by Barras

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...