SAU Community

Help With Underbody Surface Rust And Colour ( R33 Gtr Lm )

TuLaLiT

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if you guys could help me out here.

I have been offered an R33 GTR LM from Japan and the seller has sent me a few pictures of the underbody.

They are a few surface rust patches on the underside and the compliance place said it may or may not need to be sand blasted + sealed + painted.

But he wasnt happy that on some of the factory underseal it has blue paint,

My question is are all factory underseal supposed to be black only or it colour coded to the body colour ?

I have attached a few pictures so you guys can have a look at it

Many thanks guys

Ronny T

post-53829-0-79538100-1395310280_thumb.jpg

post-53829-0-99383700-1395310302_thumb.jpg

post-53829-0-65482400-1395310329_thumb.jpg

post-53829-0-15331200-1395310341_thumb.jpg

Look the snow tyres on it. Snow country vehicles are never a good buy. Surface rust today, swiss cheese in 10 years.

Unless of course you decide to spend thousands disassembling the car after purchase and de-contaminating/rust proofing every single surface.

Have family that live in Osaka and while it snows there its never heavy enough or frequent enough to warrant snow/winter tyres. They make do with all-seasons.

If you are or know an expert with paint n panels, go for it. The LM is worth it for the colour alone IMO

Better question, how long are you planning to keep the car for?

SAU can recommend a few reputable dealers with which to dispose of the vehicle once you've had your jollies ;)

that is surface rust, and by the looks its also factory underbody guard. i had the underbody sandblasted on my car and it is the biggest bullshit pain in the arse job its a very big job, newer cars have alot better rust protection than the ones from the 50s and 70s

this car needs a good steam clean and scrub and to go from there.

Id be asking for plenty of detailed pics of the strut towers, which can and do rust frequently on 33s and 34s, and would make it not compliable, even on cars with 'good' auction grades. The stuff underneath is as mentioned fairly normal, and to me, a sign that it hasn't been hidden under a fresh coat of under body blackjack ie what you see it what you get. Would check the seams underneath are ok too, that's where the rust forms in areas of trapped moisture.

The 3rd picture looks like its bent underneath where the factory jack goes. It also looks like the circles there are from a hoist with the rubber feet have pushed up into the floor

Doubt it. The rubber on hoist arms do a pretty good job of keeping things square. I and none of my other friends have had a problem. If it was bent previously then you used a hoist it may bend the pinch, but they usually have a 10-15cm radius.

I'd say if you can still see the over spray underneath, it's been well looked after.

Doubt it. The rubber on hoist arms do a pretty good job of keeping things square. I and none of my other friends have had a problem. If it was bent previously then you used a hoist it may bend the pinch, but they usually have a 10-15cm radius.

I'd say if you can still see the over spray underneath, it's been well looked after.

They rubbers probably do but when you put them where the floor is it bends the floor up and leaves those circles you can see in the 3rd picture. My car dosen't have those circles and neither do others I have looked at. Obviously none of you and your friends are that silly to raise a car up by the floor