SAU Community

Tablet In A V35 Anyone?

I was planning to buy a 7 inch touchscreen/controller off ebay, one of them has dimensions that are within a couple of millimetres of the M35 screen casing I have (I have a spare though, so if I need to file a bit off it, it isn't the end of the world).

I was looking at running an android box without using miracast; otherwise I'd have just used a chromecast and casted my screen; the plan was for onscreen gauges (have an obdlink wifi mx coming one of these days), sygic for sat-nav, and XBMC for android for media.

But I'm going to see how much the above solution costs; as it lets me get rid of the awful Sony double din head unit that is in my V35.

Yea looking at a similar setup except it would connect directly to the phone through the newer cables that can provide HDMI out while providing charge to the phone. Connect to the mimicsx2 via Bluetooth for the touch screen. But yea still haven't measured up the existing screen with what is available as a replacement screen which adds the touch overlay and allows HDMI direct access

• 2 weeks later...

hi LineitUp, any updates?

I'm working on something similar as well. I have bought a new Fascia and AC control kit from Amazon. Have a double din kit on its way from ebay.

The idea is to use the lower half for the 2din kit and replace the pop-up screen with a 7" tab. However, after measuring up the casing for the pop-up fittings, i'm finding it difficult to find a tab that would be good.

Also, how do you plan to have the OBD data displayed on the tab? Coz, my v35 is does not work with any OBD protocols at all. The connector is OBD, but apps like torque keep saying that they can't connect.

Any ideas/ suggetions would be appreciated.

Great link Chris cheers!

Been looking at a tablet install atm. Been trying to get a second hand fascia to modify.

I was just going to use an ipad mini.. mounted landscape just scraps in to where the existing bose is (with a little modifying)

Then break out cable direct to the cigarette lighter and aux cable to the amp.

Or a breakout cable for both and wiring in a volume control.

hi Chris,

googled a whole bunch of crap about HKS OBlink and the kits that come with it. Saw the prices too. and none of them confirm that it works the way we want it to.

Just about ready to shoot myself in the head!!

Mate, should i be considering an ECU replacement for just this reason? (ie: displaying live engine data while driving)

Edited by cruiser_350GT