SAU Community

Radium Engineering Oil Catch Can

Anyone here using Radium Engineering Oil Catch Can?

Their product is very popular over at FT-86 crowd, and my friend has one and seems very high quality as well.

Also this catch can size looks similar to the Nismo Catch Can style, which is what I want for having a stealthier looking engine bay.

post-112082-0-92504000-1400515841_thumb.jpeg

Edited by etang789
  • Like 1

Just had a look on their website (radiumauto.com). USD$165 for the single universal as pictured above. 6 fl.oz capacity (175mL?).

They like much better quality than most I've been looking at. I'm seriously tempted. Good find.

Just had a look on their website (radiumauto.com). USD$165 for the single universal as pictured above. 6 fl.oz capacity (175mL?).

They like much better quality than most I've been looking at. I'm seriously tempted. Good find.

Yea you can also get the Competition Catch Can with more capacity but not sure if it can fit where Nismo locate theirs.

Here is an article review

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2449/PageID/4428/Company-Profile--Radium-Engineering.aspx

Edited by etang789

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the picture of the Nismo Oil Catch Can which I think is the ideal location for a catch can.

BTW is the RB26 valve cover breather hose size 22mm ? Not sure which fittings to get...

post-112082-0-91130600-1401801390_thumb.jpg

Edited by etang789

• 4 years later...

Those things look pretty, but the size makes me question how functional they're likely to be on a high revving, highly boosted RB.  I'd be thinking they will take about 300ml combined and then dump whatever else gets spat out straight into the inlet tract.

They do look nice however.

• Like 1

Generally for motorsport you need to have a catch can which has more volume then your engine displacement, aka 3L ones for Rb's or like 20 of these?

Personally i'd say you can't go past a good custom battery tray replacement one with proper baffles/foam, and a sump breather. Or if you really want something off the shelf then a hioctane style one at least though volume may not be enough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sneakey pete said:

Generally for motorsport you need to have a catch can which has more volume then your engine displacement, aka 3L ones for Rb's or like 20 of these?

Personally i'd say you can't go past a good custom battery tray replacement one with proper baffles/foam, and a sump breather. Or if you really want something off the shelf then a hioctane style one at least though volume may not be enough

Agreed. Nothing really good off the shelf. Custom is the way to go.

• Like 1

And for CAMS sanctioned motorsport at least, unless it is set up as an oil separator returning to the engine via PCV applied to one rocker breather and the bottom of the can to the other rather than a catch can (So manifold vacuum when off throttle draws oil back in via the breather)  any RB turbo will need at least 3L capacity. I am just about to build a new one for my HR31 and will be making it about 3.5L with an oil return to the sump and a proper filter on the outlet, one track I run at makes the 20DET hoist a lot of oil out. Hard braking followed by a very hard right hander and immediate full power twice in a lap, it spits out up to 500ml in a handful of laps, take it to Phillip Island and it did not put that much in the can over 500KM.

You are not particularly likely to get pinned for it being to small at most  track days but who needs to give a grumpy scrutineer something easy to knock you back for.

I use two of these  with the bottom cut off sitting inside a tank with fuel tank foam.

61740_x600.jpg

the base of the tank has a ball valve on it so at the track I can leave it open to drain to sump and all other times it just collects in the tank and I clean it before a track day because it gets sludgy due to moisture over time.