SAU Community

Chief Oil?

Ive seen this brand at supercheap for while now. Today I decided to put some of the 10w30 cherokee semi synthetic in a barina. $33 for 5L. There's quite a selection of viscosities in both semi synth and full synth, at prices which are average or lower than competitors.

However I don't see a lot of reference to this oil on the net and I get the impression that it isn't selling much. Anyone else tried this stuff?

Ive used nulon 10w40 full synth exclusively in the stagea, but even when its on special at $45 I still think I could go for cheaper oil! Since there is a better selection than gulf western in terms of viscosities, I might use it for all the family cars.

They have an oil called WRX. Cool.

Their office is near Maastricht? (Belgium/Netherlands border)

On the container it states that it's made in the Netherlands. The very american branding threw me off, ie, chief, chicasaw, cherokee, etc. It would probably be considered racially insensitive in america

• 6 years later...

Hi Mates!

Please note this oil is terrible...it disappears in around 5000 kms on a Subaru..I am talking well maintained healthy car and most of the cars. Came out as an experiment. That's why perhaps Supercheap has got rid of all of it. And I can't leave a review anymore. I would warn again6using this oil for other than top-up. Or keep an eye and keep roping up ...I am sure it's dodgy and there is something wrong with this product..it burns lime fuel...I am sure ..I  am collecting more evidence...I had to try to save others from trouble.

34 minutes ago, Ankur said:

Hi Mates!

Please note this oil is terrible...it disappears in around 5000 kms on a Subaru..I am talking well maintained healthy car and most of the cars. Came out as an experiment. That's why perhaps Supercheap has got rid of all of it. And I can't leave a review anymore. I would warn again6using this oil for other than top-up. Or keep an eye and keep roping up ...I am sure it's dodgy and there is something wrong with this product..it burns lime fuel...I am sure ..I  am collecting more evidence...I had to try to save others from trouble.

Subaru is hardly a good example. They burn oil like crazy at the best of times

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mlr said:

Are we talking about RB's?....

We weren't. To be fair, while those things happen on RBs, they happen because of people being stupid in one way or another. When it happens on Subarus, it happens just driving down to the shops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Lol @ the idiot OP shopping at supercheap.

OK, occasionally they have the odd decent item at a decent price, but mostly it's over-priced poor quality stuff.

Sometime soon after I must have switched to getting all my oil at costco, getting Nulon full synthetic around $7-8 per litre when on special. Get oil filters in bulk online, too. Barely set foot into supercheap auto anymore.

I ran that chief/cherokee stuff in a few econo cars and never had an issue, but just switched to nulon when I could get full synth stuff at the same price. I must have run the stagea on nulon for around a decade now, and the only difference I could remember is that some semi-synth stuff I used caused lifter noise at startup, went away after switching to Nulon.