SAU Community

A Guide To Importing A Car From Japan To Australia

Sikahalv

Hi all,

I've created a new blog @ www.v35skyline.com about my story of importing a car from Japan to Australia for the very first time (a low mileage V35 Skyline 350GT Premium of course!)

It's a step by step guide on the importing, shipping and compliance process that includes a lot of valuable information that isn't commonly discussed or posted on websites or enthusiast forums.

I thought I would introduce this here being an enthusiast forum, and hope that if it helps just one person (at the very least) then my blog has been a success!

Feel free to ask any questions about the process - I'm currently 1/2 there and my V35 Skyline landed in Melbourne, Australia yesterday (June 23rd 2014).

Cheers,

Sikahalv

Edited by Toras
  • Like 1

Cheers James, I'm glad you liked the blog.

Spot on by the way, the aspiration post is the look / stance I'm going for with my new V35.

Only a few more weeks and I'll have her :)

Edited by Toras

• 1 month later...

To those who are interested, the 2.5 month importing process to land and comply my new V35 Skyline 350GT Premium Coupe has now finished (2 weeks ago) and I have updated my blog and fully documented the process. As far as I am aware there is no other blog on the internet that documents the process step by step in as much detail as mine... Especially useful if you're looking at importing a V35 Skyline 350GT... but applicable to anyone who's interested in importing a car from Japan to Australia (or seasoned veterans looking for a refresher hehe)

Thanks to all of you on Skylines Australia who have supported my blog during the past 2 months and those of you who have PM'd me for more information, or provided advice... your feedback has been much appreciated!

PS: My blog is about to hit 1000 views! ;) ...of which about half of those views are Skylines Australia members, it's nice to give something back to such a great car enthusiast community :yes:

www.v35skyline.com

Edited by Sikahalv
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

For those interested, I have updated my blog --- a hell of a lot --- since August 2014... I imported (and 9 months later sold) my V35 Skyline and am currently importing a V36 Skyline. :woot:

There's plenty of useful information on there for like minded car enthusiasts who are considering (or currently) importing a vehicle from Japan. :yes:

Any positive or constructive feedback regarding my blog (or the content on there) is much appreciated. :santa:

Thank you in advance.

Visit www.v35skyline.com

Edited by Sikahalv

just read your blog mate very good attention to details but one thing i wanna mention is that the radar detector in your new car will most probably wont be there 99% of the time as they are illegal in Aus and i know of many ppl buying their cars with such items in auction pics and when they receive the car the item is no where to be seen. Would love to know if you do receive it and how it works here :)

• Like 1

just read your blog mate very good attention to details but one thing i wanna mention is that the radar detector in your new car will most probably wont be there 99% of the time as they are illegal in Aus and i know of many ppl buying their cars with such items in auction pics and when they receive the car the item is no where to be seen. Would love to know if you do receive it and how it works here :)

Here's to hoping my car's the 1% that won't be touched...

I'll let you know how it all goes :P

• 1 month later...

Bastards stole my Yupiteru Super Cat GWR83SD... Aside from that my V36 Skyline looks absolutely mint... patiently awaiting compliance sticker!

yupiteru-super-cat-gwr83sd.jpg?w=640&h=3

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Currency Exchange At The Moment:- If one wants to buy a car from Japan, it may be well worthwhile to hold off until August. The Bank of Japan is said to be expanding their QQE Programme at the 29th July.

If the outcome is as predicted, we may see the Aussie Dollar worth 95 Yen once more. That'd be 23% more value in the AUD as you bid at auction; but also buying a JDM through private treaty.

On 13/07/2016 at 4:14 PM, Terry_GT-R34 said:

Currency Exchange At The Moment:- If one wants to buy a car from Japan, it may be well worthwhile to hold off until August. The Bank of Japan is said to be expanding their QQE Programme at the 29th July.

If the outcome is as predicted, we may see the Aussie Dollar worth 95 Yen once more. That'd be 23% more value in the AUD as you bid at auction; but also buying a JDM through private treaty.

Have you got the source for this ? I am about to sign up to start the process for importing but would wait a few weeks if this is solid news. If true it would be awesome!!