SAU Community

Timeframe For Compliance After Landing

torquetalker

Hey guys,

Im looking at an evo 5/6 and not overawed with Australian stock. In any case I don't have the cash flow right now to get one right away, but soon hopefully.

Anyway, I've been doing my research on importing. Now stock in Japan seems reasonably priced and some look to be in great condition with low k's.

My question relates to importing and then compliance.

If I find one I want; can I get it here, chuck it in my garage, and then do compliance in 6-12-18 months? Or must they be complied straight off the dock?

The reason I ask, I could possibly spare the cash sometime soon for one that catches my eye along with freight and customs tax, GST etc. But I understand being an older evo, compliance could be expensive and outlaying the cash all at once is just too much for me right now.

So can the process be segmented?

Cheers

The process is already segmented with import agent fee first... then you source a car and purchase it... then 4-6 weeks later your car is shipped to Australia and you pay for it... then compliance takes 2-4 weeks and you then pay the outstanding balance... then 1 week later you have the car in your possession and pay stamp duty + registration.

Without a Vehicle Import Approval (which is applied for through the Australian Gov Department of Transport) which takes 4-6 weeks... and most often is organised through your RAWS certified compliance workshop the car CANNOT leave the dock once it arrives in Australia.

(The import approval allows the car to be complied and then later registered in Australia and also provides a 17 digit universal VIN)

If the car stays at the dock without VIA for more than 30 days you will be forced to ship it back to Japan (at the owners cost) or the car will be destroyed.

http://v35skyline.com/2014/06/03/15-government-approval/

PS: My suggestion - based on currently undertaking the 'importing a car from Japan to Australia' process is have your money ready in the bank.

When you are asked to pay up (each step of the way) you NEED to pay literally within a day or 2 (at most) otherwise you hold up the process and incur delays and it will cost you extra in the end.

Okay, I've read that the vehicle import approval has to be applied for by the RAWS and not the individual, as you have stated. As a DIY import job, you enter into a 'contract' if you like with the workshop doing compliance and they apply for the import approval on your behalf.

But what if the vehicle is brought in for race/rally and need not be complied for Australian roads? Who then applies for the approval?

What is stopping me from bringing in a Evo 5 for track days, have it sit in my garage for 12 months and then change my mind and want to drive it on the road?

Right. I haven't seen that document before that stipulates conditions of race/rally. Thanks for that.

I have another question for those in the know; it relates specifically to Lancers.

Why can you not bring in anything earlier than the evo 5? Is there really much difference in safety and emissions between the 4 and 5? Im assuming that the reasons somewhat revolve around these factors. Im of the understanding the 4 didn't have the brembos and narrower tyres. Still had ABS however. It's just not a good ruling for those who were passionate about the WRC in the 90's.

You can never register a car brought in for race/rally use. Unless it is for dedicated rally use under conditions that vary per state....not sure what the SA rules are

Also, cars brought in by the manufacturer cannot be brought in under SEVS. So probably emo 5s and earlier were sold here by itsabitfishi

• 2 weeks later...

Compliance on my V35 Skyline just finished.

The time frame the process took was June 27th until July 7th... so, very quick in my opinion!

That being said, I already had the Vehicle Import Approval before my car landed at the Melbourne Port for Australian Customs... also, I paid for the compliance work as soon as I received the invoice.

All up 11 days in total - including 2x weekends :)

• 2 months later...

I bought My 370GT SP in June! and still haven't got a Compliance Sticker. It's sitting in my garage because I can't bare to have it gathering dust. I'll re apply for the Unregistered Vehicle Permit when Goran calls me stating the Compliance sticker has arrived, Hope he can take her through the pits the same day.....

4 months is absolute overkill!! if you ask me. (auction to now) also took 8 weeks for an import certificate because DETRORS are doing an AUDIT! hopefully I have it on the road SOON and not drag on to a 5 month mark!

Edited by N3ptuNe
  • Like 1