SAU Community

180Sex Trackday Car- The Quest For Gtr Scalps!

Yeah, it's tough, but do-able.

However, I shouldn't have to tell you it's the upkeep and the little things that add up as costs! The best thing you can do is grab a cheap S Chassis, and just add a few bits and pieces to go have fun with! They are so light, and parts are so obtainable.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Roy!

I've enjoyed your journey in the 32 as well!

Update time!

I have been looking for a cheap busted motor for a while now, so I found one on gumtree. A bit unknown, but I took the gamble for the price. The kid said he strapped some adjustable cam gears to it, and made a bit of a mistake, and snapped some valves. So I took it home, and let it be while I went overseas for work.

Got home, and I yanked the head off, to see a couple of broken valves, as described, and a couple of indents on another piston. The head had recently been rebuilt, and looks pretty decent. Couple of bits of damage, but should be fine. The bottom end had a stock rebuild, and the bores are great, still cross hatched. The piston has sodium burn from the broken valves in there, but the idea is to have a decent base to build off. Which I think this is. I'm not sure of plans yet, so it will be a slow slow build up. Not in a hurry since I have a perfectly working motor in the car at the moment!

So I went to work on making a front tray for it. I didn't want a splitter since it would ruin the stock looking outside of the car, having a big thing sitting out the front!

I got some spare alloy off a mate who was making stuff for a stagea, and adapted it. Took a little while to figure out how to retain jacking without taking it off, and what to hang it off and secure it, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

Pics to come!

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update!

I pulled out my brake pads after last trackday, and saw that they were pretty much toast. Blistered up, chunks coming out, and starting to come away from the backing plate. These were QFM A1RMs.

While they actually felt fine on the track, didn't get fade or anything, it was pretty clear I got to the end of what they were capable of. So I gave Brakesdirect a call, and got some Winmax pads. GeeTeeTeacup had a great experience with them, so I thought I might give them a go. I also use their TRW GP600 fluid, which I've never hand an issue with. Well, they look pretty shiny!

14778429657_28b6f6f170_z.jpg

I ended up going with W5 front, W3 rear, at their recommendation. So I gotta bed them in, which sounds challenging by the instructions they give :/

I finished off some of the details on my undertray. I'm pretty happy with it, it hasn't folded under the car at 120km/h on the freeway... 220km/h on eastern creek main straight might be a better challenge! Will see come summer.

14778369238_8a48b3e840_z.jpg

I put some of this shit in the diff. I had Nulon in there, but the guys at Award recommend this for me. Thick as Fk! Had to put it into a bucket of hot water for me to be able to pump it. Anyway, it might quiet down the diff from hell, but I doubt it.

14790064017_8b32f079f5_z.jpg

I pulled my seat out, and figured that one of the mounting tabs on the rail had actually snapped clean off last time out at wakefield,so thanks to Daleo, thats getting welded up with some gussets to make it a bit stronger, and I'm improving some of the fixtures for safety.

Also, knocked a bit of boost out of the Profec. Since I resealed all the turbo gaskets, and reseated the turbine housing, I was actually overboosting by about 1.5psi on my settings. So I took it back down, gate pressure is 11psi, low boost 16psi, and high 18psi.

I wondered how healthy the motor was (after it overboosted a couple of times due to a loose fitting... 30psi lolz), so I comp tested it again, and I was very happy. 160/155/160/155 means it has loved the last year and a bit of thrashing around tracks!

And finally I got myself kitted out with a camera! Bought a Sony Action Cam off a member, ordered a roll bar mount for it, so I should have some good vids of the upcoming SAU NSW trackday at SMSP South!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, not much to update.

I missed the SAU SMSP trackday due to some health issues. So I'm trying to slot some track time in before the years end. Need to concentrate on getting it to the track.

In the mean time, I might re-paint the roof, since I have the spray guns to do it proper-ish now.

No real plans at the moment.

What I would like is something that is a response / torque monster. I think that direction for a SR is the right one. Keep a longer diff ratio in it, and look to increase the low range of the motor.

We all know the top end of the SR doesn't love high rpm, so my thoughts are to maximise the motor while keeping it under 75-7800rpm. Probably lose the VCT, for reliability. And have a capacity increase for more response and torque.

But that's a long way off.

As long as the stockie keeps loving it, it's not in the front of my mind :)

• Like 1

Lol nick!

Nah, I'll leave the big dollar motor builds to GTRs. ;)

Given I have decided to not mod the body to fit a bigger wheel/tyre combo, I think bulk hp increases are not required. Something round the 350kw mark would be more than sufficient for everything i reckon. Even then I'd need to go to the skyline box, as this little one just won't hack that.

Anyway, I just want to track and enjoy it now!

• 1 month later...

Ok, update time!

Took the 180 out to a ARDC trackday at SMSP. It was the Brabham circuit, which is the big one that includes the new section round the back of corporate hill. Truthfully, I prefer the original GP circuit, as the super tight twisty stuff is hard work, and the car is a slug going up the hill off boost.

Anyway, I have succeeded with technology and now have video!

So here is my fastest lap of the day, unsurprisingly, it was the one with no traffic. I had faster laps, only to catch a car in the slow sections, unable to overtake.

I will try to get the rest of the sessions uploaded soon, there was a couple of funny moments, including when I though I was going to take out a Ferrari!

• Like 1

Anyway, I have succeeded with technology and now have video!

Alex your engine sounds so angry, like a fedora wearing teenager who can't get laid because women don't appreciate how such a nice guy he is and only go for macho douchebags

I love it :wub:

Hiya Mick, yeah, I know that line through turn 2, but I'm yet to find a good way through that corner. I think I really have to exit it away from the late 2nd apex, because it causes me issues with the camber in the road. Just deal with the fact that I won't have the best line into 3, and short shit.

Thanks PJ!!

Yeah, it does sound pretty angry when its on song, its also usually the loudest most obnoxious thing out there! Good for spectators cause they always know where you are!

So here is a little moment from when I locked the rears, and it came around on me.

I should have the remainder of the Sessions uploaded in the near future.

• Like 1