SAU Community

Why Is It Harder To Accept A Mental Health Issue Than A Physical One?

PranK

Perhaps because you can't see it?

Perhaps because you know a bunch of people who claim to have issues but you don't agree?

I find it interesting that we, as a society, put more emphasis on getting over the flu than dealing with any mental health problem.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

It's been easier for guys especially to talk around relevant issues 'to keep the peace' so to speak than to confront them.

In the car racing scene, John Bowe will certainly attest to the fact that letting go of what ails you is an advantage towards coping better - even though it takes courage to do it.
A breakdown of how one can semi-self-diagnose will pop up soon if that helps.

• Like 3

It's been easier for guys especially to talk around relevant issues 'to keep the peace' so to speak than to confront them.

A breakdown of how one can semi-self-diagnose will pop up soon if that helps.

I believe it's impossible to have too much info around this topic.

I think it may be harder for people to accept a mental health issue rather than a physical one due to the stigma surrounding mental health. Mental health patients may be labelled such negative terms as 'lazy' and 'irresponsible.' Like you said Christian, because we can't 'see' it, it may have the connotation as being 'less legitimate' than something physical such as gastro or the flu.

The thing is though, mental health is a continuum, and we all have imperfections some idiosyncrasies within our mental health.

The thing is though, mental health is a continuum, and we all have imperfections some idiosyncrasies within our mental health.

This 100%. There is so much contradiction and subjectivity as to what is a mental health problem and just someone that is a bit eccentric. I think this is the main cause of stigma's behind mental health issues. One person's diagnosis is different to another; even between qualified and certified medical practitioners. I don't think it is so much of the tangible effect; but more confusion behind severity of a mental health issue vs the existence of a mental issue in the first place.

With that said, I think its a relatively new concept in the medical world; and it clearly needs more research to help those that suffer from mental problems in society.

• Like 1

Tangibility is made worse when there's no blood test, urine test or scan that can pick up brain neurotransmitter probs.

A couple of best-fit tests will come up shortly though if it helps. Based on quasi-psych tests, admissible in court...

A lot of my family think I'm a dnignaling ,they don't understand anxiety and depression,

they more or less say drink a cup of cement but that doesn't work.Take numerous meds daily

now and feel much better there is light at the end of the tunnel. :-)

• Like 2

A lot of my family think I'm a dnignaling ,they don't understand anxiety and depression,

they more or less say drink a cup of cement but that doesn't work.Take numerous meds daily

now and feel much better there is light at the end of the tunnel. :-)

Nice one. A lot of people seem to cut themselves off from it, others make light of it. This is why this area was created as a judgement-free zone, hopefully more people like us can post openly and maturly about things that many try to avoid.

• Like 2

well said,I've been feeling like a freak for years.

my mental illness started 2 years after I had cancer

and 6 rounds of chemo,never been able to talk about it

to any one.

Thank you for starting this thread I feel much better knowing I'm

not alone. :-)

• Like 1

well said,I've been feeling like a freak for years.

my mental illness started 2 years after I had cancer

and 6 rounds of chemo,never been able to talk about it

to any one.

Thank you for starting this thread I feel much better knowing I'm

not alone. :-)

I'm not ready to talk about my experience, but rest assured that while a few of us may not share, we're still in your corner.

• Like 5

Take all the time you need,it's taken me 7 years to be able to face it and talk about it.

To any one who is suffering in silence your not alone,you don't need to smile and

try to hide how awful you feel inside. It will get easier. :-)

• Like 2

I have mental health issues, but I've been able to turn most of them into positive outlets because I believe there can be good in everything and life is about how you play the cards rather than what you're dealt...just have to find that good and channel it in your favour. I'm also proud of what I have because it shapes who I am as a person, gives me a unique and memorable personality and makes me very open minded - I wouldn't have it any other way! I think it helps to be an optimist from the get go and unfortunately some people can't see a positive side to everything like I can, so I do consider myself fortunate in that way. It can be near impossible to convince others to think this way, though I have a couple of rules of cold hard logic that help me to achieve this:

1. Spilt milk doesn't clean itself and neither does crying over it. So get started on cleaning up. Tackle problems one at a time, bit by bit. You'll eventually wear them down to nothing or a more manageable size. But you have to make a start.

2. Life is too short to worry or spend down in the dumps, fk letting anything or anyone make my life shit. Why should they get to enjoy it and I not?

3. Anything is better than limbo / non action, do something, do anything, even if you don't feel like it...you might be surprised.

And most important of all...

It's not the end of the world. It never is. Step back and look at the big picture, then see the problems for their real size in the scheme of things - usually pretty friggen small!

:cheers:

• Like 3

I had anxiety issues ever since I was young. Once I got older the depression kicked in too. Drinking didn't help. Turned into an alco for about 4 years. I than ended up in hospital with heart doing funny things and that's when the panic attacks started. I tried to combat them and go the gym regularly and exercise but when they kick in I'm rendered useless. ( it's been about 16 months since I've had a drink ) I've tried going without anti depressants and while I am ok for a few months the anxiety comes back and hits me. I just had to go back on the antidepressants. As for people who don't experience anxiety or depression, they can never understand the thoughts or feelings associated with it.

• Like 2

All I wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi..

Far from suicidal, still I get them tendancies..

You ask me the whole damn world is insane, everyone except for this guy that is..

homer-not-insane_zpsd0c6a3a9.jpg

Some people feel the need to talk about it, some people just need to be left alone....

Some people need all the professional help they can get, just for an example

My partner works with Autistic children, and some of them are complete headcases, they beat there heads against walls and have anxieties on a level most of us could not comprehend..So much that it is physically debilitating...

But with time, effort, conditoning and alot of loving care, they repair alot of them by school age you would hardly know it was ever an issue...

These are mostly the kids that spent there time in the special ed room when we were in school..or the retards as we used to call em..

Will the government fund it, No...they get by solely on donations and parental funding...

Now they seem to be happy to fund cancer researches and such, that often just prolongs the lives of people who are almost dead anyway...

While the work they do here is preparing physically healthy young children for a hard life so they dont require constant care...

And possibly unleashing a brilliant mind that could contribute to mankind...

So which is more important..?

I guess in reality both are as important as each other...So why does one recieve funding and not the other..I dunno ?

I'm sorry to hear about your depressions people, Life gets hard and it doesnt always get easier...

And I have been there, I honestly have..so much so I am often surprised I am still here...

How did I get over it!...

Well it takes time

and

harden_up_mugs-rdcdc0e396c4f4d6484ec9a88

:whistling:

• Like 2

loved residing your words and cheers to you to. :-)

Well thank you, glad you found them useful :)

I'm at a point where I don't really need to think about this stuff because it's all second nature to me; I'm very rarely unhappy with my lot in life with this constant outlook.

It doesn't sound like you need those words though, you sound pretty well sorted, and kudos for having the bravery and initiative to do something to improve yourself! Too many people get to a certain age and decide "I am who I am" which I think is just the worst excuse for people to act like dicks or settle for less from themselves. There's no reason we should ever stop learning and no reason we should ever stop trying to be better people :)

• Like 1

Might aswell make this a worthy first post that may help someone;

I only recently over came depression myself. And not the kind your 16 year old teenager faces when he can't go hang with his friends at night. Depression is a scary thing, I never realized how bad it was till I was till I was "through" it.

I thought it was normal for me to go back to a dirty apartment, In my dirty clothes, stinking, Not showering, Drinking till I blacked out, Smoking weed till it had zero effect. People around me would tell me I stink, Or I look like I have been up all night or that I needed a shower but depression does funny things to you; You don't care, Not about what people say; But about yourself. I never deemed myself worthy of a shower. A good bed. A full meal. Clean clothing. And so on...

I would eat one small meal a day (Usually a $2.50 bag of hot chips) and I remember even saying to myself in my head "Good, You have eaten today. You won't die of starvation." Then save the rest for a bottle of shitty cheap vodka and weed, Go home after a hard day of faking that I was all good at work and poison myself, Then stumble and stagger to the bed (If I made it past the first 3-4 steps without blacking out). Day in, Day out for 2 years.

I would hop on my R1 and fly down the m4/m5/m7 at 300kmh with nothing but a singlet and sweat pants on, At the same time I was on trial for 18 months imprisonment for doing stupid shit like that to begin with. But none of it mattered in my head. I did not care for myself.

I didn't have family, The loss of my whole family (real long story) pretty much pushed my brain to starve itself of seratonin (The chemical that makes you feel "happy" also helps you feel "normal"). My friends were all my age, drifters and party animals. They all saw the signs but being inexpirenced they never knew what it all was. They just thought I lived hard core and worked hard. I did not have a proper support network. I did not have family. I had to face it all myself.

My turning point was probably on my 3rd or 4th suicide attempt (I can't remember the period that well or how many times I had tried, As said; I did a lot of drinking and smoking). I had what some call "A moment of clarity". I was standing on the edge of the balcony in my studio apartment in parramatta, About to jump when "normal" me kicked in for a brief moment. I climbed back over and got on the phone to beyond blue.

I still remember the blokes name, Phil. I spoke to him on my mobile. I told him everything. Oh boy, I cried. I'll openly admit to that shit. I cried and cried on the phone to this Phil bloke. This one stranger who I didn't know was just listening to my story, Asking questions. I remember my mobile phone battery died mid-convo and I rushed to my land line to call him again (And thankfully got through to him again) just so I could feel "human" again. Phil reffered me to a doctor not too far from me who then diagnosed me with two types of depression. Grieving and major depression.

Going to the doctor was the hardest thing. I felt like it was a stab at my man-hood. I didn't let anyone know. If you think you have hit that point where you need professional help, DO IT! You don't have to tell anyone, It can be between you and your doctor only. Do not leave it till it's too late because how you feel isn't normal. I went through 2 years of it, There is no point where it will fix itself or things will just turn out ok.

I refused drugs and went down the councilling path. None of my friends knew, And most still don't even know I had a mental illness. It's something I always hold close to me. Although I feel ashamed of once going through with that, I know I shouldn't.

There is so much more things that I said, Done, Things that would disguist some, Things that I lost friends for, Things that made people think low of me etc but I think it's beyond the point and I would just be digressing.

Recongnising mental illness from my expirence is hard for two reasons;

1) You don't even know you have it till it's far too late.

2) When you do realise you have it, You don't think you do nor will you share that info or seek help.

Oh and those people that say things like; Harden the f**k up etc.... You got no idea. Trust me. If you said that to my face while I was going through that period remember; I never cared about myself. I would have skinned your face with my nails if you had said that to me. It's the wrong thing to say to anyone with depression. Not only for the other persons safety, But yours aswell. These are people who have an illness, A mental one, They are not thinking right.

• Like 6

Thats a great first post #@vodkashot and I hope you hang around in these forums as your experience, I believe, is a positive that can be taken away from your ordeal. You can talk about it with people and provide them with options they likely never knew existed.

I think getting a proper diagnosis from a proper doctor, or even a shrink, can be hugely beneficial. Its making what you felt real. Its a real thing. AND theres a treatment! Thats a big turning point for a lot of people.

Kudos vod.

• Like 1

Proper diagnosis is exactly what is needed. But even us as individuals can do something.

If you see the signs of depression (And it doesn't mean just someone that is always sad, They can be faking a smile, Or not looking after themselves, Self distructive behaviour, Erratic behavioural changes, Major weight loss/gain, Sleep deprivation, Constantly tired, Constantly hyped up or erratic, Severe mood swings) do not be afraid to tell that person that you think they may need help. Maybe that person has been thinking it but just needs more convincing.

The worst that could happen is you come across as someone that cares.

• Like 1