SAU Community

Robin Williams

PranK

Boy, this news broke my heart.

I've spent the past day with lots of things swirling in my head about this.

I think the big one is that irrespective of what you think a person is going through, it is rarely black and white.

"Self inflicted asphyxiation" was the reported cause. He had 3 kids. He was the funny man and it seems that the funnier a person is, the more they have been cut and exposed. He spent his life making other people happy.

Guys, please, if you read this and you're having similar thoughts, call Lifeline on 13 11 44. I know what its like to feel misunderstood and like you're not taken seriously but there are people who will take you seriously and give you the attention that you need.

I hope Robin finds in death what he couldnt find in life.

• Like 3

You've touched a moot point Christian about the high frequency of comedians and funny people who suffer depression or attempt suicide as well.

Besides Robin Williams, other names that come to mind are Tony Hancock, Dick Emery, Bert Newton, Eric Sykes, and others if my memory serves me correctly. I think I recall Robert Culp forcing Bill Cosby to speak up about his moods too (in an interview).

Seeking out professional help may be a first step; but it's a big step. And one might not have to look back. So I concur.

My wife is horrified at the amount of publicity about this. She thinks that because it has been so publicised it could be worse of for people who are thinking of doing all the same thing as it is being glorified. I personally can see both sides of the fence due to suffering from it myself. I see her point but deep down I hope this incident wakes people enough for more action to be taken.

I can see how people think it's selfish as they are setting up future issues with there children and partners greatly increasing there chances of self harm.

Than there is the other issue of what the person is thinking themselves. I think that there rational thinking is turned off and they cannot see any other way out and have shut down so much that they cannot ask for help.

Edited by Kenna802
  • Like 1

Everyone's experience is different, but I do feel Terry ' s comment is a bit harsh and comes across assuming those who commit suicide are selfish.

Prank has summed it up very well.

There is help out there.

No one needs to go through anything alone.

Sorry if that's how it's interpreted.

What I'm saying is that their pain has forced them to take their lives as 'the final option' akin to 'no way out'

...and that's the antithesis of selfishness.

• Like 1

Sometimes you feel so alone and alienated and you have these voices in your head telling you that the world would be better off without you, hard to feel like there's help for you.

help needs to be found within.

Perhaps that is appropriate in your situation, which I don't know, but I can tell you for a fact that is the worst piece of advice I have ever heard. Offensive even.

When you are completely lost with with your thoughts, feelings and emotions emotions and feel like you are falling apart , I I can tell you for a fact that it's extremely unlikely to one day just decide to help yourself from within.

It's virtual impossible to do it alone.

Speaking up and asking for help is the hardest thing to do. I know. I know I couldn't have done it alone.

I'm sure you meant well by your comment.

There is so much help out there. No No one needs to do it alone.

Edited by Ben C34
  • Like 1

You do have to be willing and receptive though, and many aren't.

You can't help people who don't want to be helped...some just want to have a whinge about their shit and get some attention - usually the ones who deny the effectiveness of solutions given to them or unwilling to even try.

• Like 1

You do have to be willing and receptive though, and many aren't.

You can't help people who don't want to be helped...some just want to have a whinge about their shit and get some attention - usually the ones who deny the effectiveness of solutions given to them or unwilling to even try.

this falls into what i was getting at.

if you arent ready to help yourself it is going to be extraordinarily difficult for others to help you.

not going to go into my own situation in detail as I don't know you Ben (and not having a shot) but from my own personal experience I can tell you know for 100% that until you are ready to get your own shit in order, if you really want to off yourself you will.

• Like 1

It's interesting to note that anyone that has had a heart attack or heart surgery is more suseptable to depression. I remember a doc saying that it changes certain chemistry in the brain after woulds. The only reason I remembered this was I just saw it on something about robin Williams