SAU Community

My Rx7 S8 Track Car Build

• 2 weeks later...

VERY busy and productive weekend:

Replaced majority of the rear suspension bushes and the front sway bar "D" bushes.
Mounted the surge tank and pump ready to go (wont plumb it in still next weekend)

started the wiring for the gauges and surge tank - almost done I'll finish that off in the morning.
Rolled the front guards and checked that the track rims fit, just need to get some wheels nuts to suit.

and tomorrow I'm going to see a guy called Daniel Decker to get the sequential turbo working correctly and if he's nice I might get a power run on the dyno whilst its strapped down!!!

• Like 2

Well yesterday I got my boost issues sored and whilst it was getting a boot full on the dyno the clutch started smoking LOL had an inkling that this could be the case but wasn't sure if it was the turbo transition or the clutch.

so needless to say there's new clutch going in.

today I stripped the brakes down, getting the disc's machined and some braided lines made, also replaced the clutch line with a braided one and started taking the gearbox out

I was shocked as to how complex it is under there!!! give the Stagea a run for its money LOL
had to remove the exhaust, then there is a massive brace that runs from the g'box to the diff and then all the usual braces shields etc anyways got the gearbox out now I just have to go buy a 55mm socket to get the flywheel of so that can get machined!!!

so besides brakes and clutch just have the surge tank to connect and replace the spark plugs. and I'm thinking whilst I got that brace off I might also do the diff bushes.

unfortunately I'm not going to get my oil coolers in but it should be right this time on the stock one!!!

• Like 1

The long term plan is world time attack etc but for now I'll stick to track days and the like, hopefully even nulon national or something!

Today made more good progress pretty much good to go with a few last minute bits and pieces but whats finished is New clutch fitted with a braided line and bleed, replaced the diff bushes whilst I had half the car apart also moved the fuel filter as it was hiding behind the diff.

Got the brakes machined, painted them and fitted braided lines, new track pads etc.
The surge tank is all good to go and primed!

fitted the track rims ready for tomorrows alignment and corner weighting.

• Like 1

I can't believe how much you've achieved in such a short space of time mate!

I know you didn't want to have to all of this before the first outing, but it's going to be such a solid base to start with.

Well done Theo. :)

• Like 1

all went well today got the car aligned and balanced, fuel system went well although I think I may need to upgrade the fuel pressure reg to allow more fuel to go back to the tank so the Bosch 044 isn't whining as much!!! clutch went well after I bled a bit more air out of it and adjusted the height but its going to take a bit of getting used to taking off with a brass button again.

went for a cruise to put a few Km's on her and then stopped and got my race numbers put on the car!!!

post-83704-0-63875000-1411115209_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-67865600-1411115218_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-89540100-1411115228_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-40609900-1411115239_thumb.jpg

post-83704-0-85073200-1411115245_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

well it was always going to be a scramble getting a car ready in 4 weeks, spent way to much time chasing the boost issues redoing majority of the vacuum system. and then luckily got this entire week off work to get all the rest done!!!

the spanner in the works was the clutch that's for sure and I didn't even get to adding the oil coolers I wanted too!!!

but for the rest everything that needed doing got done, but thankfully for the help of a few people everything got done this week, mind you I've probably done over 70hrs in the last 6 days.

hopefully it all pays its self off with a trouble free day at the track!!!

also I'm battered and bruised from laying under the car for 4 days and my hands look like they've been through the grater :(

good thing you have 2 factory oil coolers!

also if you want a earls 10 row with fittings I have one that you could slap into the front bar I can throw in some spare braid (not fittings) that should reach if u want.. I know monies tight so we can pay later if u wish

nope I've got the base model only has 1 oil cooler :(

thanks but I've already got all the gear to do it including thermo block all the braided lines and 2 thermo cooled coolers.

just cant be bothered doing it right now and I'm hopping its not a big drama!!!