SAU Community

Nrma Vintage And Classic Insurance

Just gave NRMA VC a call and the woman says they changed their policy a couple of months ago and no longer consider skylines to be a collectible :-S ( I did mention I had a 94 R32 GTR to insure )

Anyone else been advised of this ?

I would try again, it seems at times the person answering the phone might not know what they are talking about BUT maybe they did, I renewed mine at the end of January, SO ?

But there have been blokes on SAU that were told no and followed some advice and tried again and got the R insured, best of luck.

I would think that any of the R32/3/4 GTRs will be collectables

• Like 1

I would try again, it seems at times the person answering the phone might not know what they are talking about BUT maybe they did, I renewed mine at the end of January, SO ?

But there have been blokes on SAU that were told no and followed some advice and tried again and got the R insured, best of luck.

I would think that any of the R32/3/4 GTRs will be collectables

I'll try again soon and see if I get someone who knows what they are on about.

Ok finally got someone who knew about their job...

Stored in a lock up garage

$60,000 agreed value

$879 premium

$300 excess

Asked about how they measure the days spent driving and he said it was just based on an honesty system.

Result!

Edited by GRKGTR
  • Like 4

Ok finally got someone who knew about their job...

Stored in a lock up garage

$60,000 agreed value

$879 premium

$300 excess

Asked about how they measure the days spent driving and he said it was just based on an honesty system.

Result!

There you go, all good, worth another call or 2 or 3 or 4 , lol

• Like 1

Good to see you got it insured Mike.

Re their advice that it's an honesty system, when I insured mine a while back with another company that also had a limitation on use I was told that in the event of a claim the insured's version of usage would be verified with workmates, car club members, housemates, relatives, partners etc.

My experience with insurance companies and their investigators, albeit limited, is that if the claim is significant they will go to considerable lengths to see if there are reasons upon which the claim could be questioned. Just saying...

Edited by Scooby

Good to see you got it insured Mike.

Re their advice that it's an honesty system, when I insured mine a while back with another company that also had a limitation on use I was told that in the event of a claim the insured's version of usage would be verified with workmates, car club members, housemates, relatives, partners etc.

My experience with insurance companies and their investigators, albeit limited, is that if the claim is significant they will go to considerable lengths to see if there are reasons upon which the claim could be questioned. Just saying...

Year , it is all a bit iffy if you ask me.

At least with the 9000klm you could could photo your usage or something similar. And if you wanted to cheat a little , we know who to get to wind them back a 1000klms or 2 or 50k, initials PL , LOL

I'm going to ring them at some point next week and try snd get written confirmation on what they classify as a drive event

I asked about this and the guy said the car is insured whether I go on a cruise with a club or any other event (on public roads of course).. So would be good to get something in writing to confirm.

• Like 1

I asked about this and the guy said the car is insured whether I go on a cruise with a club or any other event (on public roads of course).. So would be good to get something in writing to confirm.

From what I was told, the car is insured on all normal driving situations if you adhere to their policy requirements and not be charged with braking the road rules that caused you to claim on the accident, like neg driving, DUI etc

Driving too and from the track is OK, not track work of any kind. Hooning , nah , no way , bye bye R, lol

So , as I understand it, driving on a day out with like minded car owners and driving within the road rules is OK , how could it not be acceptable ??

• Like 1

Written Interpretation will be good yes.

One of the NSW Execs last year, also got a verbal saying that a Club Cruise constitutes a Drive Day.

I think there is too much worries going on here.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually made a claim....

I don't think you would have dramas if your a good honest customer.

I have only had to make one claim, years ago now with just car. They were great I had no issues at all.

I think you only have something to worry about if your doing something wrong.

exactly, cause you know if it's not in writing they'll change their mind as soon as you make a claim

I think there is too much worries going on here.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually made a claim....

I don't think you would have dramas if your a good honest customer.

I have only had to make one claim, years ago now with just car. They were great I had no issues at all.

I think you only have something to worry about if your doing something wrong.

Maybe you are right, but it is better to know the policy of a company before you have a prang, too late after :(

It's also about nailing down spurious terms like 'honesty system' (sounds too good to be true) so that you're prepared when you make a claim and they ask you to prove your version of events, which they WILL do if the claim is sizeable. I had a vehicle stolen from a workshop while I was several hundred k's away and while the police were satisfied with my version of events the insurance investigator wanted a substantiated alibi to prove that I didn't take my own car for a joyride and smash it. Sounds incredible but behaviours from people trying to cheat a system can be amazing.

Sales people who've maybe never lodged a serious claim themselves and are trying to sell you a product by using terms like 'honesty system' to explain away serious and legit questions, instead of looking into it further, do no one any favours. It could be widely interpreted by inexperienced policy holders in particular to mean that the insurer will just accept the insured's version of events, which is totally misleading and leaves the insured - no matter how honest - unprepared for the investigation. Insurance fraud is significant so there's unlikely to be a unique 'honesty system' here beyond what's implicit in all insurance claims.

This seems like a great product and it's obviously helped our community so I'm all for it. But for what it's worth I'd suggest tackling them a bit on what 'honesty system' means in terms of their response to a claim and I'd bet that if asked to put something in writing there'd be some rapid backing away. It's worth being prepared particularly when taking out a policy that has conditions as an insurance investigation is inevitable in the case of a large claim. Anyone who thinks they might come close to the limit of usage should protect themselves and not have to go through grief when things get serious; although it's a pita simple things like filling in a $5 vehicle usage log book from the newsagent, and keeping date stamped photos of the car at events etc can help quite a lot.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 5