SAU Community

Nrma Vintage And Classic Insurance

I too spoke to them this morning and as I suspected it's all about common sense.

I noted the young ladies name whom I spoke to (very helpful and knowledgable) and asked her to log my enquiry on their CRM. That way at least there is record of this being discussed

QUESTIONS.............

Can I go to my local shops buy some milk and come home within a short period of time? YES............. Of course I can.

Can I drive it to Roselands Shopping Centre, arrive at 8;30am, spend the day there and come back and find the car missing at 5:00pm... Am I covered? Possibly not, I wouldn't risk it!

Can I go for a drive up the Old Pacific Hwy for breakfast on any Sunday morning in convoy with 4 mates at 7;00am... Absolutely I can!

The bottom line is don't do anything that may suggest the car was being used for anything other than recreational purposes.

Parking it all day at a train station is not a good idea either.

As I said, it's all about common sense. I would also recommend you keep your rego papers (Pink Slip in NSW) that has the milage recorded annually to validate the low kms.

Cheers,

Bob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hadouken said:

So when you go get milk and your car is stolen, does that fall outside the cover policy?

You are covered. 

The lady I spoke to said using the car for daily duties, such as to and from work, and dropping and picking the kids up at school, would not be covered. I think it would be hard for them to deny you on a claim, unless you specifically stated that you had been using it as a daily for the past month to and from work. You can park it in the driveway of a friends house allowing that you have "made reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of the vehicle". So, as Bob said above, leaving it out in the open at a train station is a good way for you to be denied. 

I have said multiple times in this thread to read your pds but everyone just ignored it and said "the operator said....." use your brain and understand the pds is written in black and white and is what they will use in the event of a claim. If you use your car outside of that, make a claim and have it denied then you deserve what you get 

also unless they've changed it back the 9,000km is out the window and it's 10 times a month, I have a log book in the car that I fill out every time I drive it 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

I have said multiple times in this thread to read your pds but everyone just ignored it and said "the operator said....." use your brain and understand the pds is written in black and white and is what they will use in the event of a claim. If you use your car outside of that, make a claim and have it denied then you deserve what you get 

also unless they've changed it back the 9,000km is out the window and it's 10 times a month, I have a log book in the car that I fill out every time I drive it 

NRMA might run their version of Vintage and Classic Insurance slightly different to RACV but I was told 9,000 on the phone, with no log book needed. 

What you say is correct though, please read through the PDS entirely and do not 100% rely on the OPINIONS of the members in this thread. Keep in mind if they choose to deny your claim, you will be battling against an insurance company with almost limitless resources to fight you. Don't tip the odds in their favour by taking risks like daily driving the car. 

I was told on the phone that what I've stated in previous replies is how it works regarding their expectations. I think it would be unreasonable to only ever use the car to drive to a destination and back every single time and the car must be under lock and key every single time, but it's what it states in the PDS.

5 minutes ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

Check your renewal cause mine came with a memo showing the changes to the pds and one of them was going from 9,000kms a year to 10 times a month. it has also been pointed out in this thread 

Lets do the easiest scenario,

the operator tells you "you can drive it to work every blue moon".

You then take it to work for the first time ever and a truck runs over the bonnet

your claim is denied and you take them to court, they're lawyer get to ask you a few questions,

1- where do you work? Answer where is got damaged

2- what does the pds say where I've  underlined? Answer don't drive it to work but the operator said I could 

3- what was the operators name? Answer I don't know it was 8 months ago that I spoke to them

who do you think just won the case? 

At the end of the day it's your car and if you want to risk it by doing so cause someone you spoke to on the phone said it was ok! then thats your choice but I won't be joining you

10 times a months, how  can you prove this one way or another. Log book, give me a break!

Recreational ? what does that really mean and who makes the rules for what it means. Driving 5 Klms or 1000 klms could be recreational ?

I think that NRMA Vintage would not take your money and try to stiff you on a technicality that would be hard to prove.

I think it would have been easier to leave it at 9000klms PA, you could do 10,000 klms in 10 trips in a month and hard to prove you did not do 10 trips, this was a dumb change as at least they had the Odometer to check for 9000klms PA?

Just take the insurance and drive carefully  as fast as you can ;)

24 minutes ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

10 times a months, how  can you prove this one way or another. Log book, give me a break!

Recreational ? what does that really mean and who makes the rules for what it means. Driving 5 Klms or 1000 klms could be recreational ?

I think that NRMA Vintage would not take your money and try to stiff you on a technicality that would be hard to prove.

Yes I'm am proving it with a log book

they outline what recreation is and it definitely not doing your grocery shopping, going to work or dropping the kids at school

nrma are a multimillion dollar corporation and they didn't get to be that by giving money away 

10 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Yes I'm am proving it with a log book

they outline what recreation is and it definitely not doing your grocery shopping, going to work or dropping the kids at school

nrma are a multimillion dollar corporation and they didn't get to be that by giving money away 

Whats the difference when it comes to recreation when driving to your local hill run town and stopping for lunch, and going to your local Safeway and getting lunch? 

In NRMA's defence, hundreds, if not thousands of enthusiasts have their car insured under this scheme.

Not once in 3 years have I heard of NRMA "stiffing" a policy holder.

Please believe me, I have a huge circle of acquaintances within 5 car clubs. Not one bad word about them.

Sure, someone will always complain about getting a rough deal but generally speaking it's their own fault.

I've been with them for well over 25 years and they have always paid out when required.

Not only have they paid out, they have been very polite and understanding. Our house got struck by lightening 4 years ago and took out a heap of electronics.

Within 3 weeks and $16,000 later, all was replaced and back to normal.

Cheers......... Bob.

29 minutes ago, Borci88 said:

Whats the difference when it comes to recreation when driving to your local hill run town and stopping for lunch, and going to your local Safeway and getting lunch? 

Don't know read your pds and if it's not there in black and white ring and ask for something in writing to be sent to you

23 minutes ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

Sure, someone will always complain about getting a rough deal but generally speaking it's their own fault.

because they did something the pds said was against the rules? 

Im not saying nrma are bunch of pricks who will try to stiff anyone, but if you're doing something outside of their rules which are written in you pds, they will and have every right to use it as a reason not to pay

When I first spoke to the bloke on the phone 2 years ago he asked me if I had a DD and I am sure he said this was also a condition to get this type of policy, you needed to have a daily drive car to be eligible for the VVC insurance  .

7 minutes ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

When I first spoke to the bloke on the phone 2 years ago he asked me if I had a DD and I am sure he said this was also a condition to get this type of policy, you needed to have a daily drive car to be eligible for the VVC insurance  .

Yep you're right, I was asked that on the phone as well.

The rules in the pdf are pretty simple.  if you don't think you can abide by them, then you shouldn't take out a policy with them.

There is a lot of speculation going on. It would be good to here from someone that has actually made a claim.

So far Im happy. Nrma vvc has saved me a heap of cash.

• Like 2

Also don't forget you are allowed to maintain your car, this includes driving your car. I found in my experience with NRMA in NSW when I took out the policy, their understanding of owning a classic/rare vehicle was very good for an insurance company. All of my driving in the last 2 years has been a short 20-40 minute drive around my local area to maintain it and keep all parts moving. NRMA encouraged this and there were no issues with the policy should the car be damaged or stolen during this type of use. If I stopped in to see a mate, no drama. The garage or carport is just risk minimisation which able lower the cost of our premium, and lowers the insurance companies risk of having to pay out if something happens e.g. you lie and your property has no garage or carport and only street parking available but you said lock up garage to get cheap insurance.

On page 37 of the booklet (PDS) it states and I would think this really needs to be answered.

They do NOT provide cover if you are involved in any "organised event", this included in a track day ( OK), "DRIVE DAY" or similar organised event.

This sounds like an organised road trip "could" be a problem , but?