SAU Community

Weight Of Oil For R32 Gtr

seventhirteen

I know this topic has been beaten to death numerous times but I just wanted an experienced opinion on what weight of oil you guys would use in my car.

Its an r32 gtr 94 model with about 130k kms on the clock and no serious mods (basically stock). Now seeing as factory weight is 7.5-30, in your opinions would you guys go full syn 5w-30 or 10w40?

As the engine wears the clearances get larger. To maintain decent oil pressure a thicker oil would be required.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? How is the oil pressure now? If it's fine jeep using whatever you are using.

Yeh on the factory oil press gauge it sits about half way when driving and drops a bit on idle but I've heard that the factory one can be a bit dicky sometimes.

I think I will go the thicker then.

Also do you know of the sump capacity by any chance?

Without a functioning oil pressure gauge, or knowing the history of the engine, you should err on the side of caution and run at least a 10W40.

Sump capacity is allegedly 4.5 litres, but put 5 litres in.

AFAIK the only good reasons to run a thicker than specified oil is to;

1. Return oil pressure to spec on a worn motor,

2. Provide a safety margin in a motor that is overheating the oil,

3. Make an engine run more quietly, however, higher noise does not appear to correspond to higher wear

I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Stagea daily and in my street, but tracked, GTR. IMO its a good bang for buck oil. In the stag its still good after 6000kms so ill try 7000kms and re-test this fill. I will test the GTR @5000kms next change.

On a stock motor a ?W-30 should be fine as long as the oil pressure is within spec.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Y'know what, after reading a topic on a 360kw build using a nistune (who ended up going LINK), im now considering a LINK over a nistune. The engine protection alone would probably be worth it. And id like to learn to tune so would be nice to have that safe guard. Which means i probably wont need a boost controller then, or the R35 MAF.  Becoming a bit of a blog now but oh wells. As mentioned previously, the goal is around 300kw, for a daily driver. Will be looking at fitting a highflow turbo or similar (something that doesnt require downpipes, manifolds etc to be changed out) when the current stock gives out or the money for it is there. 
    • Thanks guys. Are you meant to tighten the converter bolts through the starter motor hole? Think my plate between gearbox and engine is one piece. Im heading up there tomorrow.
    • Picked my tailshaft up yesterday arv!! Test fit it and because they've gone to a ford centre bearing and CV I had to modify the mounting bracket a little bit. 5mm of each side and she went up into position and fits well. It has a 1350 uni and flange on the gearbox end so it should be plenty strong!  Got stuck in this morning and started on the wiring mess. Cut out all the wires not required that go to the body connector and cut the engine harness out. Need to go through and work out which ones I need to keep and rewire into the new ecu. Should save a small amount of weight as well. I'd love to get in and rip the dash and everything out to completely remove wiring but cbf.  Next up was the power harness for alternator, starter etc. It has a few connectors from factory that run out of it. Cut it all apart and removed what was no longer required and put some new corro and taped it all back up and bolted it all back into place.  After that I worked out where I can mount the new flex sensor. Found a couple of factory bolt holes and drilled a new hole on the bracket to suit. Need to go get a few fittings and adapters tomorrow so I can keep going.   
    • Nah, im after the more newer looking, one with the OLED display
    • We revised the neutral wire instructions. The old way was wrong.  R34 gearbox change.pdf