SAU Community

S A U - N S W Spring Tech Arvo Saturday 8Th Nov 1Pm

DekA

Anyone take notes!? :/

A little;

- We have a shorter OCI in Australia compared to Euro due to the sulphur in our fuel

- You shouldn't let your oil temp go over 120 degrees

- If your oil is overheating, using a heavier grade is a reasonable hack

- The standard weights for RBs is 5/10W-30/40

- Running heavy oils will increase the risk of oil starvation, as they take longer to drain back to the sump

- (if I understand right) Liqui Moly MOS2 can help with keeping your engine alive if you stave oil.

On the wikipedia page for molybdenum disulfide;

"MoS2 is often a component of blends and composites that require low friction. A variety of oils and greases are used, because they retain their lubricity even in cases of almost complete oil loss"

So that adds up.

EDIT: more info on MOS2 for oil nerds at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

• Like 1

Thanks Adam. That's pretty much what I took out as well.

Additionally:

The rating for an RB is SH or SJ grade oil (I think that's right). Most newer cars are rating SN.

The metallurgy and coatings actually dictate the type of oil that should be used. Newer engines will have special requirements that need to be considered.

The best place to start is with the OEM recommended viscosity and then move up if needed due to heat.

Contamination is what really determines oil life span.

That's why oils in transmissions and diffs last longer. Being sealed there is less contamination.

• Like 2

Many thanks guy's for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the afternoon and were able to get some valuable info on lubricants and brakes. Always great to have a knowledgable, interactive and appreciative group, and you guys ticked all the boxes.

Thanks

Cheers

Andy

Although i couldn't make this, just thought i'd say that i use Liqui Moly in the N1, and my daily Murano (VQ35 and a real pain to find a good oil for) and absolutely love the stuff.

Just my personal experience, but have used oils triple the price in the past and the cars just pur on this stuff. :)

Big Fan!

• Like 1

Although i couldn't make this, just thought i'd say that i use Liqui Moly in the N1, and my daily Murano (VQ35 and a real pain to find a good oil for) and absolutely love the stuff.

Just my personal experience, but have used oils triple the price in the past and the cars just pur on this stuff. :)

Big Fan!

FYI Mobil 1 0w-40 is doing well (confirmed with UOA) in my VQ25DET @5500kms, whereas SynPower 5W-40 had sheared out of grade @5000kms. However, that's not really too much of an issue as oils down to 20 weights (dafuq?) are specified by Nissan.

Which Liqui Moly are you using?

• 2 months later...