SAU Community

Engine Oil

Agree with above approach. I recall reading on SAU years ago of people spending hundreds on Motul Chrono 300V and changing it every 5000kms of street driving on their mildly modded car... Most likely this is overkill for the street and a waste of money but as they say; a fool and his money are easily....

I've actually tried 300v for 2 services so around 12k kms....man, it goes black by around the 4500kms mark. Although it is very light and car may seem more responsive.....I personally think it's definitely for track cars and not for road use.

All this talk inspired me to look for a different filter. I used to use Amsoil and later Fram filters on my Maxima. Hard to find here in Australia, though I managed to get all my Amsoil stuff through Bill Reid from Lubrication Management. I ended up stocking up on Fram XG series oil filters (3 for AUD$60 from a US eBay shop) as well as a couple Fram air filters and a cabin filter while I was at it, just to make the shipping worthwhile.

All in all, I just forked out AUD$155 for six filters after the seller got back to me to advise that he was able to reduce the total postage by a further $33. Colour me impressed (and ready for the next service). :)