SAU Community

Rb26 One Piece Bucket? Shim And Lifer

I still don't understand why? Lol they are only +1mm, not like its 2 Or 3mm. When clearly the aftermarket cams are 30mm base standard is 32mm.

So you don't keep throwing shims running smaller base circle cams. With the tomei buckets you use standard size shims, do the math mentioned above.

Or you could look for a one piece bucket and shim which, if it exists, would be at least as much as tomei plus you'd almost be guaranteed to have to buy a few more when a couple of the clearances end up being a little out. Subaru do this with the later ej's- makes redoing seats/refacing valves much more expensive.

Edited by doo doo

JUN also do 2 different offset retainers (+.05mm and +1.5mm) to deal with high lift/smaller base circle cams. However, it looks like they're only in titanium so lots of dollars again....

Shimless is obviously the best way to go if you can sort it out.

Anyone running that kind of setup, what is standard practice for a head rebuild if required? I assume you need to grind the tips of the valves or top of bucket in order to reset lash after a valve/valve seat regrind?

If it was possible, which I don't think it is with standard valve lengths is using lash caps instead of shims. Far harder to flick a lash cap then it is a shim. But I don't think there is enough valve tip protrusion above the retainer on a std setup in order to utilise a cap.

• 5 months later...