• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Duncan

Duncan's Race Car - The Most Overdue Build Thread On Sau

since everyone is bumping their build threads today......that reminds me

I finished off all the engine bay, underside, inner guard etc wiring on the weekend. Even worked out why the Nav side power window wasn't working (yes, the motor wasn't plugged in....). It's all back to about 3 pages ago where it cranks perfect but does not start, just more colourful and straighter.

• Like 1

OK, couple of updates.

After more stuffing around, it was the injectors that were stopping it running.  There had been some water in the lines somehow and they corroded a little sitting there 2 years. Swapped them out for some good ones (after trying a million other things) and she started up fine.  So the good news is it is running and almost ready for a tune.  

I also did the final torquing on the driveshafts since it was on the ground, and also the balljoints once they had a chance to settle.

I do need to fix 3 minor wiring things then off for a tune.

The other thing I need was trial fit the big wheels and tyres to make sure there are no problems.  

Long time back I bought some 18x9.5 +12 volks in a set of 6 to put on the car (oh look, still for sale in my sig! retro!). But with my alignment that offsite was not right so I bought some BC racing wheels in 18x10 + 22 from Just Jap. I've put 295/25/18 A050s on them for test fitting.

So, up on the quickjack and out with the shocks and springs front and rear. Bolt the wheels on and jack up under the wheel to check the whole range of movement from full droop to fully compressed.

18-rear-1.jpg

At the rear, fit is perfect. These are big wheels and tyres and they fit great.

18-rear-3.jpg18-rear-2.jpg

Same at the front. At full left and full right lock the fit is perfect from full droop to fully compressed. Offset +22 is spot on a a GTR with 10" rims

18-front-2.jpg

18-front-1.jpg

The only minor issue that the wheel almost misses the front bumper at straight ahead. It's kind of a shame that an almost miss is a hit. The tyres are just too tall.

18-front-3.jpg

I'll see if the alignment shop can pull it back a bit without stuffing the settings totally, and if not I'll try again with lower tyres 295/30 or even smaller if I can find them in usable brands.

Bit of a pain really.

• Like 1

Wow not much room, hope your wheel bearings and all your bushes are in tip top condition to minimise any additional movement haha

Now that's stance!

Under load it looks like they would scrub. I'm surprised 295 fit under there, I thought 285/30 would be the max. 14 mm smaller rolling diameter going from 35 to 30 series 295... do it!

Yeah they better be bloody perfect since that was the thing that started this whole refresh.

Re tyres, there are some restrictions.  When I'm running 18x10s I'm not on control tyres but there are still only a couple of brands that are worth running on unless you want to come last.

According to websites (haven't had a chance to call yet, other sizes may be available....):

Hankook: 285/30R18, 631mm or 295/30R18, 637mm

Yokohama: 295/30R18 633mm, 295/35R18, 664mm.

Dunlop: 285/30R18, 635mm

Interestingly when I measured the diameter of the 295/35R18 yokos, I got 655mm against a listed size of 664mm. Also measured a set of dunlop DZ03G that I have in 235/45R17 which are meant to be 644mm but measure up as 630mm...so as usual the manufacturer listed specs and the ruler don't match with tyres sizes

The other thing of course is buying brand new tyres to find out they don't fit is a bloody expensive way to test. The ones I tried above were ex superlap softs, used but not very much, and perfect for hillclimbs so it's a shame they have to go...

• Like 1