SAU Community

Duncan's Race Car - The Most Overdue Build Thread On Sau

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Good question!

Homologated weight for a 32 GTR is 1430kg

Production Cars (3E) say 1400-1499kg cars can have a 5% weight reduction, and then you have to add 85kg, so minimum weight for Production car is 1445 including driver.

Targa regs specify 1560 including 150kg for 2 crew and safety gear so 1410 for the car alone

At it's last corner weighting it was 1397 (half fuel tank) +90kg driver = 1487. Rally gear like spare tyre was not on board at the time. Both sets of regs are actually very restrictive about what can be removed so I can't see it ever getting to minimum weight without some dedicated cheating.

I'll post up what it is after the rebuild and 1kg of extra tar being removed but I can't see it being a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

ummm yeah. this thread was about the car's progress not me but I guess they are related.

Basically I've decided to tick an item off my bucket list and enter the Bathurst 6 hour race at Easter. The GTR wasn't eligible (due to age) and even if it was I wasn't confident how it would go flat out for 6 hours so I figured I would use someone else's car instead.

So, I did a test day in this dirty emo 9 on Monday, it went OK although it was surprisingly different in feel to the GTR and I'll need more seat time to be comfortable. Even though they can run 1.2bar boost (vs 0.8 in the GTR) they make a little less power; they are of course about 200kg lighter though.

dirty_emo.jpg

The other part of this decision for me was that it takes a lot of my race budget for the year, so I am not rushing to get the GTR ready for any particular event. Instead both Kel and I have entered the 8 round state hillclimb champs, the first round is at Bathurst in the first week of March.

So, I did a test day in this dirty emo 9 on Monday, it went OK although it was surprisingly different in feel to the GTR and I'll need more seat time to be comfortable. Even though they can run 1.2bar boost (vs 0.8 in the GTR) they make a little less power; they are of course about 200kg lighter though.

Put it on the scales. If you could get a fully prepped/caged Evo 9 under 1350kg with fuel I'd be surprised. More likely a 100kg difference.

Taking a punt that this thing will fly, and Fatz will renounce all GTR allegiances then fully convert to Emo status.

ummm yeah. this thread was about the car's progress not me but I guess they are related.

Basically I've decided to tick an item off my bucket list and enter the Bathurst 6 hour race at Easter. The GTR wasn't eligible (due to age) and even if it was I wasn't confident how it would go flat out for 6 hours so I figured I would use someone else's car instead.

I fully understand this logic - except I stupidly purchased half my EMO instead of just doing the smart leasing thing. They are an odd thing to drive - I found you need to basically over-drive them to get some speed out of them. They seem to respond well it it. And they are actually more fun to drive than I was expecting consequently.

But I still don't have any love for them. lol

I haven't driven mine since Nov and probably won't before Bathrust.

Still - like me I'm sure you've already started the count down to the event. Should be a ripper.

yeah mate I saw you were heading there too in the racing thread, should be an excellent event. buying would probably not have been much more expensive but lets face it, there is nothing faster than a borrowed car :devil:

Tim see you at Kempsey...but it's round 3 because Bathurst is 2 events/ 2 rounds over the 2 days.

Dale I did ask what they weight but the exact answer went straight out the other ear; I just remember I was surprised how light it was compared to the GTR

so there's been stuff all progress, I did tidy up the fuel pump cradle and move to e85 safe hose.

fuel-pump1.jpg

I ended up deciding to keep the small lift pump (and the 044 external) although neither are e85 OK, I am going to run the oil additive and carry spare pumps instead. I also did some measuring of fuel pump impact on temps but will post that up in the lift pump thread when I get a second

fuel-pump2.jpg

also did another test day in the emo, they are annoyingly quick little bastards. did a 1.06.2 at wakie on old tyres which is 0.7 faster than I've ever done in the GTR....still not heading permanently to the dark side though, it's nowhere near as much fun.....plus, I picked up some ideas from the data logging that I might try in the gtr anyway.....

also did another test day in the emo, they are annoyingly quick little bastards. did a 1.06.2 at wakie on old tyres which is 0.7 faster than I've ever done in the GTR....still not heading permanently to the dark side though, it's nowhere near as much fun

If you've got one and competing in it, you're already there.

What's annoying about Evos is they are so competent out of the box.

Is Fatz likely to come out and admit he's had a go too?

• 1 month later...

lol evos are broken, not for broken men. And FWIW it weighed 1450ish with me onboard after qualy. damn quick little cars though...

Since this thread is about the GTR build not my racing, here is my bathurst 6hrs story in pictures

Practice and Qualy

b6hrs-1.jpg

b6hrs-2.jpg

b6hrs-3.jpg

The race

b6hrs-4.jpg

b6hrs-5.jpg

b6hrs-6.jpg

b6hrs-7.jpg

b6hrs-8.jpg

b6hrs-9.jpg

The crew and only CXC car that finished

b6hrs-10.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Right, so....been way too long since an actual GTR update, which is not fair because progress has been happening (although not quick).

On the electrical side, I've finished stripping all the looms.

Rear loom complete (in theory) including new main pump and lift pump feeds

rear-loom.jpg

Front loom complete on the engine bay side, still some work required at the cabin end. Still a bit to do on the dash/main loom. Only 1 relay and a couple of fuses left under the bonnet as the smartwire will handle almost everything

front-loom.jpg

Also installed the button and wiring for the new kill switch in the driver's door

kill-switch.jpg

Also got a new intercom to simplify everything, just needs power and earth and removes the old adapters. Also comes with bluetooth phone for calling in the service fairies.

intercom1.jpg

intercom2.jpg

And finally, sorted LEDs for all lights (except headlights, where I still need to get the housings first)

leds.jpg