SAU Community

Water Pump And Timing Belt Part Review

AMR33

Hey folks,

Thinking of buying this kit for my R33 Rb25det: http://www.golebysparts.com.au/parts/view/56/23/nissan-rb20det-rb25det-and-rb26dett/timing-belts-timing-belt-kits-water-pumps-and-thermostat/rb20det-rb25det-rb26dett-gates-racing-timing-belt-kit-and-water-pump (apologies for the external link)

Any advice you guys can give me on things to look out for etc? How do I ensure the water pump will fit.

And has anyone dealt with these guys before?

Cheers

Amir

Edited by Abdul11

Nothing wrong with OEM. These are just cheaper. I rang Nissan and they quoted me $509 just for the tensioner and Idler pullies!!!

The guys at Golbey's said that the water pump will fit but I have to leave one bolt out (it is a gmb pump). Is this ok to use? I remember reading somehwere on here once that thats ok.

Something doesn't add up, $210?

Just using round figures, most belts no matter what brand are around the $100 mark.

Nissan quality tensioner and idler from any bearing shop comes to about $80.

3-Seals, about $10.

That leaves $20 for the water pump which if he's suggesting to leave the top stud out is for Rb 20/26/30 bolt pattern.

Kudos's $380 kit, although more expensive, shows far greater Nissan expertise.

I don't leave bolts out, but if you're chasing a cheap price, this would be it.

No don't leave that bolt out, have seen one with that bolt left out before and air got into water system slowly over the years and corroded everything

Welsh plugs, leaking head gasket.. Etc

How can air get into it? Sounds more like the coolant got out and the cooling system ran with air in it

Guarantee water will come out of the pump, air wont get in there

OP: Have you tried somewhere like Kudos Motorsport? From memory my kit with OEM water pump and idlers, belt and seals was less than $500

How can air get into it? Sounds more like the coolant got out and the cooling system ran with air in it

Guarantee water will come out of the pump, air wont get in there

OP: Have you tried somewhere like Kudos Motorsport? From memory my kit with OEM water pump and idlers, belt and seals was less than $500

If coolant gets out, something's gotta go in? If not air I don't know what else

Sure air probably won't get in from water pump when its hot because it's pressured, but when the reservoir eventually empties out then air will get in

Well it's not entirely impossible that air will get into the system when it still leaked a tiny bit when car is parked overnight

The fact that it corroded welsh plugs and eventually developed external coolant leak from head gasket over a couple of years time suggests air got in it before the rust was developed

And yes it was flushed regularly, just didn't notice that the water pump had the bolt missing until we opened the cover

Just suggesting the worst that can happen from what I have seen if you leave one bolt off from the water pump, may seem ok at first, but the above can happen over time, so it's not a good idea

Edited by chiksluvit

I was just saying the problem with your statement was that air getting in is not going to be the consequence at the water pump. That will be coolant getting out, thus creating hot air pockets and then causing issues. You bust a fuel line off and you dont think 'oh crap, air will probably get In there'