SAU Community

Jacob's R33 Gtst S2

On 4/26/2017 at 9:46 AM, jmknights93 said:

You can borrow it if you wish?

That would be appreciated mate! 

-----------------------------

Just a small update, got a 100 CPSI 5" Venom cat to replace the current 200 CPSI cat (confirmed by exhaust shop) as well as a high flow Blitz Panel Filter to get rid of the pod filter setup. Pod sounds awesome but being boxed in with no feed probably isn't helping anything. I think I have the old filter somewhere around here which was pretty scummy. 

Installed the cat tonight and took some pics to compare the pair. I don't know a lot about exhaust systems but I'm assuming that by having a better flowing exhaust the turbo must perform better because I could get full boost in every gear tonight after taking it out (yes, full boost in 1st gear, never ever been able to do that before) - It actually over-boosted in second so I will need to play with the controller a bit to tone it down. 

Old cat 
IMG_0058_zps18zopzrw.jpg

New cat
IMG_0053_zpsuqjpxzrq.jpg

CPSI comparison

IMG_0050_zps8g9szdqw.jpg
IMG_0049_zpsn14drmmd.jpg

I'd like to head to some track days soon to push the car a bit. We used to find some good driving roads and give it a bit there but I've lost my license too many times now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

I'd like to head to some track days soon to push the car a bit. We used to find some good driving roads and give it a bit there but I've lost my license too many times now. 

A couple of old memories came up on Facebook the other day. Good times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:29 AM, jmknights93 said:

A couple of old memories came up on Facebook the other day. Good times.

I saw one of Ev, you and I cruising together :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small-ish update

Bought a high flow panel filter, fitted up the airbox went for a drive then drove home and immediately removed it. Couldn't reach full boost in any gear - Pod back on and it was back to normal. 

Also painted my cooler pipes in the engine bay with Duplicolour Satin Engine Enamel and it came out awesome! I'm looking for more shit to paint with it now haha. 

Problem... Was on the highway last night and gave it a few boots and noticed misfiring at full boost. It really caught me off guard when it happened the first time then I realised what it was the second time around. Hoping it's just shitty plugs but I'll find out this weekend. Will also do a comp test on the motor while the plugs are out. 

• Like 1

Problem... Was on the highway last night and gave it a few boots and noticed misfiring at full boost. It really caught me off guard when it happened the first time then I realised what it was the second time around. Hoping it's just shitty plugs but I'll find out this weekend. Will also do a comp test on the motor while the plugs are out. 

Could be possibly going into overboost if with your new actuator and settings, you are making a little more boost overall.

5 hours ago, admS15 said:

Could be possibly going into overboost if with your new actuator and settings, you are making a little more boost overall.

Unfortunately I've had it hit overboost before and it was a different reaction :( 
On the plus side IF it is plugs I may as well get LS coils or the Golebys kit for Yarris coils

Unfortunately I've had it hit overboost before and it was a different reaction [emoji20] 
On the plus side IF it is plugs I may as well get LS coils or the Golebys kit for Yarris coils

Try doing the plugs and if it still does it, do a log and check how much boost you're getting. I had a similar issue and I was overboosting just enough to go into the overboost (rich as f**k) part of the fuel map but not enough to trigger boost cut. Felt like misfire but new plugs and coilpacks didn't fix it. Had to turn boost duty cycle down a touch.
I was looking at the golebys kit and ls coils but just went with splitfires for simplicity and got them cheap. Interested in your install write up if you end up doing the conversion[emoji106]

On 5/20/2017 at 4:46 PM, admS15 said:

Try doing the plugs and if it still does it, do a log and check how much boost you're getting. I had a similar issue and I was overboosting just enough to go into the overboost (rich as f**k) part of the fuel map but not enough to trigger boost cut. Felt like misfire but new plugs and coilpacks didn't fix it. Had to turn boost duty cycle down a touch.
I was looking at the golebys kit and ls coils but just went with splitfires for simplicity and got them cheap. Interested in your install write up if you end up doing the conversionemoji106.png

Turned the boost duty down 5% then played with it until I was reaching 1.3 again. Seemed to like that and didn't misfire on the weekend but it was not as cold as it was the other night. I still need to do the plugs anyway as I checked my last invoice (Can't remember the exact date I did them so using that for reference) and it was late last year :( 

The coil conversion is CHEAP as chips from Golebys, definitely worth the upgrade considering its the same price as new Splitfires and replacement coils are easy to find and cheap. 

Also found yet another problem, diff housing is leaking :(

On 5/24/2017 at 8:35 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Cheapest option is to gap plugs down to 0.6mm lol.

I run mine at 0.5mm, never misfires 

Hahaha I'll start with replacing the shitty plugs first lol.

Small update - I'll post some pics along the way
Ordered a list of parts today to replace a few things

• Diff seal gasket - Current one is leaking and while in there I may as well do all of the bushings so I also ordered 
  • Diff to subframe bushings 
  • Subframe bushings
  • Front diff to subframe bushings
  • New shift knob to replace the one that is worn out and keeps coming lose 
  • Cushion to base bushings for the back seat

I think this will be a pretty big job to get knocked out and I'll need another alignment but I'll work through it possibly on the long weekend coming. 

I've also got some oil and filters waiting at home to be changed as it's due for a service again but since I had some issues with my daily last weekend I didn't get to work on this car. Might even start ordering some brake gear soon also because they will be due soon also but have held up well considering it's been about two years since I did them.

I'll take lots of pictures and probably try my luck with recording some of the work with my GoPro when I do it. 

• Like 2

Subframe bushings and diff bushings arrived today along with my brakes for my Pulsar daily. The brakes on that thing have had a harder life than my R33 brakes haha. 
After the bushings are done I'll look at getting the brakes done. Rotors are about 400 a set @Dose Pipe Sutututu can you get the DBA 4000 for cheap? 

10 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

Subframe bushings and diff bushings arrived today along with my brakes for my Pulsar daily. The brakes on that thing have had a harder life than my R33 brakes haha. 
After the bushings are done I'll look at getting the brakes done. Rotors are about 400 a set @Dose Pipe Sutututu can you get the DBA 4000 for cheap? 

Sure can man!

Flick me a PM and advise if you want plain/slot/cross drilled & slot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Serviced the car today, plugs, oil and filter. 
Found why the car was probably misfiring 

A72D288D-DC15-47DC-92FA-7B4D959EA9B3_zps

Its hard to see in the pic below but the plenum is full of black carbon gunk, I'm not sure what affect this will have on the car but surely can't be positive
AF580AB1-7050-4F64-A810-28CD1D4C351C_zps

Is it worth removing the plenum and runners to clean them up? I want to do the subframe tomorrow hopefully. *touch wood* I hope it's not a massive job. 

Let me start this post with - NEVER AGAIN. I will never ever do this again. Even with a hoist it was still incredibly time consuming. The only real issues I had were that my center bearing for the tailshaft has seen better days, the subframe bushes were very hard to get in, forgetting the reciprocating saw and I kept losing nuts and bolts. Luckily enough we were in a shop with buckets of spares. 

Subframe out
7D600B35-202B-410D-9280-2DEB5B1C87CE_zps

For anyone who knows me, I have a twin who rocked up to help
F1DA5702-8BBF-415B-8E2E-6487ECD6B8EE_zps

Fronts 
BDA6D7F7-CE50-41B7-B7F6-A61CAFEA003C_zps

Back
80D2D98B-23EA-4E94-8D1E-2B2263E1D361_zps

Rear diff housing
71212D78-8134-425C-948C-9EBC2E7DBAE4_zps

Changed the diff housing gasket but didn't get any photos of it and it was boring, The underside of the car is also filthy so I need to get under there with some brushes, truck wash and the pressure washer later this week. A big concern for me was leaks and after a 20 minute drive I parked it and checked for leaks with none present. Next on the list is brakes all around at a later date.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a cooling panel from GKtech for the old girl, they now make S2 panels which as far as I'm aware, no one does. Also ordered some lug nuts from the too at the same time. I have a lot of things on my list of wants for this car outstanding but I'm undecided now because I'm not sure where I really want to head with it anymore. 

Things on my list are paint, diff, brakes and a rework of the turbo and tune.

I'll post some pics of the new goodies when I install them :) 

• Like 2

Nothing spectacular, I went drags on the last "Sunday Street Meet" and ran some times. I just couldn't get it down meaning my 60ft times suffered (2.4+) which was disappointing. I'll go back with some MT ET Streets and launch control and see if I can get some better times. 

I also installed the gktech panel yesterday - It fits so well and looks good too. 

AF821610-BF7C-4F52-829C-BA9123AF22AA_zps

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

Nothing spectacular, I went drags on the last "Sunday Street Meet" and ran some times. I just couldn't get it down meaning my 60ft times suffered (2.4+) which was disappointing. I'll go back with some MT ET Streets and launch control and see if I can get some better times. 

I also installed the gktech panel yesterday - It fits so well and looks good too. 

AF821610-BF7C-4F52-829C-BA9123AF22AA_zps

Man the cooling panel looks mint! I'm gonna have to get one for mine soon I think! 

What tyres and alignment are you running? I managed a 1.8 60ft with my 255 RS3's coming off the line with 12psi. Have you tried letting your tyres down? I think I ran that with about 16psi in mine.

Edited by klutched

13 hours ago, kingtube69 said:

What kind of times and trap speeds were you getting, that aside?   Trap speeds usually give an idea of where you could end up still :)