SAU Community

Jacob's R33 Gtst S2

Good write up, love seeing others get in and have a go

Takes a big effort doing that job, ive done it twice then after that i thought stuff it, get the tuner to fit it on the hoist

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.

I probably would pay someone to do it next time but getting the car there is a struggle at the moment.

Battery keeps dying I'm assuming the cells are going bad in it from not running etc for a while now. I'll chuck it on charge soon and when it goes for a tune get another battery also.

Took the car out for about 10 minutes today and adjusted the master length.

Clutch feels MINT!

Very happy with the outcome. The slave seems to be leaking a bit from the new braided line so I'll put some liquid thread seal on it and close it up over the next day or so.

I found that the car only runs poorly when it's up to operating temperature - Does anyone know what it could be? I was thinking about changing the plugs to new ones and just letting JEM deal with it as they are going to do a few bits of work and do a tune anyway so they will work it out then also.

That's it for this week I think - I'll do the turbo on the weekend or just give it a well deserved wash.

Could well be a bad coolant temp sensor. Pretty sure theres charts on here somewhere of what resistance it should be. If its rooted could be keeping the car in coldstart, hence the overfuelling. Not sure on how much they are worth, but im guessing its cheaper than other options, or maybe see if you can test a known working sensor before you buy a new one.

Checked coilpacks and they looked good,

Plugs not so good

D5096F88-4CAC-4C6D-B108-49ACBB7DC53E_zps

I think the pump running at 100% is causing it to overfuel or something else is the issue. I had a pod on it while I lent my airbox to a friend to cover a defect. That could also be the issue but I've had a pod on it before and never had this issue. I've changed the plugs for now but I'm guessing I'm going to have the same problem again. I will have JEM change the plugs to a higher temp when they tune it and hopefully can fix the rich condition.

could be a vacuum leak.. have you done any testing for that?

I have checked all places but cant hear or see any. I don't really have a boost leak tester because I don't have a air compressor unfortunately. I think when it goes to JEM, I'll have them check it all over for me too :)

I think she really does need a good tune though :(

• Like 1

I had to pull my fuel pump out again today. I left a clamp off the fuel pump inlet because it was such a tight fit.

The fuel caused the hose to expand and soften a bit so I could get the up further on the pump and get the clam on it properly.

I used this as a good chance to get my boot cleaned up and put it back together and cleanup the relay wiring.

Unfortunately my battery seems to have dropped a cell or two so despite being sufficient voltage, it hadn't got enough cranking current to start the car. I'll buy another battery this week - Probably a Optima Yellow Top or something of the sort - I actually have an old one here but it's low on voltage and I don't have a charger.

Pics

6AEC8B3C-E9F3-482B-A2DA-227723BEFA8A_zps

1BE292E3-93FF-4824-ADEE-25DB2F49AC90_zps

194D222F-F953-42A3-A5A9-45F50B81D153_zps

C1D43121-763E-4EA6-A1CB-C062723A2FF3_zps

C1D43121-763E-4EA6-A1CB-C062723A2FF3_zps

I bought some interior clips off eBay which are perfect for the colour of the interior and perfect fit for the standard hole size - Link below for those interested

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271962334061?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Battery still hasn't arrived yet which I'm quite grumpy about considering the store is literally 20 minutes from my work but they don't allow pickup.

I jump started it yesterday and took it for a drive, it is seriously 100% better - Feels exactly like it should now. I would guess that the plugs will get fouled up again soon without the tune so I won't keep driving it around much until it gets done.

My friend had her car done at JEM and they did her injectors with 1000cc ones not sure if they are top/side feed etc so once I find out I'll probably just get them to do the injectors while it's there.

Soooo.. I'm pretty pissed off. I ordered the battery from near the delivery address so I could get it ASAP they still haven't shipped it yet so I raised an eBay case with them.

I was really looking forward to getting the car starting properly again but I guess not.

Looking at buying coilpack holders from someone in the UK that stops it arcing out.

Stay tuned

Old one coming out

CEE7FA6A-A66F-4E70-A35A-C4A41CE2121F_zps

92F97B09-6D02-4D25-8169-A87910CE3A4B_zps

3FC50A0B-87FF-40E7-B5EA-146BA79CD1D2_zps21A5A439-2179-407D-86D6-4EB517E74CDE_zps

DF9CFA44-FAA9-4E43-9BCC-D34990631BE0_zps

E0A36256-65FE-4ADF-B743-E5A04EE388BA_zps

Old and new - The housings are massively different

EFFB1AFB-DC5E-4BA5-B836-663668EF3C09_zps

261E6190-8129-481D-A4E8-55265FF4E79A_zps

E224DA5A-1FA6-40F1-9CBB-87A95D77C9BD_zps

29A785F9-47BC-4DDD-9086-63CCDCA2FE0B_zps

D2B58BD9-0354-4F07-BA17-43389DE7654B_zps

7CEFEBE2-90A4-42B5-AFAF-90C19BBDC815_zps

A couple of things that had to be done were

- Studs that I ordered were massive - Totally too long. 2 50mm and 2 45mm would have done fine

- The water feed had to be taken off the block to get it to bolt to the turbo then bent a bit so it could go to the turbo around the housing

- I had to chop up a spanner (15/16" size) to get it past the block and the frame

- Dump pipe had to be disconnected from the cat converter

Other than that so far everything has been pretty simple - I need to put the intake setup back on and the cat/dump back on.

Put the dump pipe on which was no drama - I was worried because of the massive rear flange but it was fine.

Then I did a test fit of the piping - I thought I would have to relocate the power steering pump but I guess not. I'll need to chop up the factory bov pipe though just to get it to fit where it needs to on the new intake. I called it a night and decided I'll finish it off this week.

21F39932-CE69-4668-B4D7-E187ED0D33EA_zps

45409CC0-085C-466F-8EFD-4B1748DB1656_zps

511B33AD-17DC-4498-86D8-38FC57BAE401_zps

• Like 2

Everything is pretty much back together now but I needed another hose because I cut the other too short. I bought some radiator hose from a Falcon thats the right size so I plan on using that for now.

I'll bolt it all back up this weekend, chuck the battery in and give it a start with pics and vids included.

Anyone have knowledge of DW 950 injectors?

All back in now, an old yellow top that never let me down is now in the car too.

I had to fab up the BOV return pipe because it needed to be modded for the intake pipe.

Everything is a tight fit but looks like It belongs there. I'll need to invest in some heatproof products though because of this.

Pics and updates tomorrow when I actually get to start the car

EDIT. I rechecked my fuel pressure today, it seems a bit too high (like 3.5 bar instead of 3) NFI what happened there but that's probably why the car is fouling the plugs.

* Slaps forehead* what a diggead.

Edited by kingtube69
  • Like 1

Bled coolant this morning

Plumbed EBC again

Did a few other little things to clean it up

I also put in my 4 year old yellow top battery last night and tested the fuel pump a few times, then today we primed the turbo by disconnecting the CAS and then mucked around with it a few more times. I'm so impressed with the battery - Cranked fine, no issues, no hesitation etc. Cheering

Video of first startup below

Just sine complete pics

324A1E0A-449F-49A4-827A-85B765B7E4C1_zps

• Like 1

A couple of things to note

Car makes some weird gurgling hissing sound after turning it off. It sounds like the throttle body (I was thinking airlock in the coolant lines). I am also getting grumpy about the injectors, JustJap have a 10-15 day lead time on the injectors which will be cutting it really close to the tune so I'll call them tomorrow and discuss some sort of super express postage to make sure they find their way to me ASAP.

More updates tomorrow as I'll be bleeding the cooling system again and rechecking for leaks and tidying up the engine bay again.

Bought a set of hardly used injectors - They should arrive tomorrow. I also spoke to JEM and asked for a smoke test of the car for piece of mind.

Didn't end up rebleeding the coolant system but I sure as sh!t need to. Will probably get onto it tomorrow.

Pics to come when the injectors get here.