SAU Community

Skylines As Drift Cars

Whoa Black Boaty

Today i saw a r34 drift car. Would it of been a gtr converted to rwd via drive shaft, or a model skyline with rwd already. Or still awd, doubt it but possible.

Also could a strip and n/a r33 and engine swap it to build a drift car or would i need to buy something lighter.
(I know nothing about drifting but really want to learn)
cheers.

Any Skyline will be a great car to learn to drift in.
R33's are good, relatively cheap to buy and strong engine/gearbox/brakes etc. Drum handbrake is a bonus too.

Realistically though, any Skyline will be fine for drifting mate, doesn't have to be anything special.

• Like 1

get rid of the r33.. get yourself a S CHASSIS (s13,s14,s15,180sx) and go from there. So much better to drift and much more nimble and comfortable. (i have drifted both my r33 and my brothers 180sx and id choose an s chassis any day)

Blad plan.

Leave na car alone. Drive it. Service it. That's all.

Build decent car in the mean time.

Sell na car when your new licence arrives.

Boost off into the sunset.

• Like 1

I am currently converting a R33 gtst into a drift car.

I went to driftx a couple of weekends ago at calder and there must have been 15 R32/33s so they are a popular car.

I like the s chassis and was looking at these but too many people think an s13/14 is worth too much money. I ended up with a R33, may not be the best but it's a learning machine.

From my experience with most motorsports, just get something and get out there. The s chassis may be more nimble but starting out you won't take advantage of it. Best to have a cruel master that teaches you to be careful on transitions to improve your skills.

I think you could use the na to learn but would change cars rather than slap on a turbo to yours. Maybe do beginners on the na and buy a different car when getting more serious.

My 2c

• Like 2

r33s are popular due to their strong drivelines and good brake setup.

You can learn to drift in a XF Falcon if you're mustard. But learning in something that works good will make your drifting skills better. If you have a car that's uncomfortable to drift or something that doesn't handle as well as an s chassis you'll never build the confidence to really push it, instead you'll stay at the same spot skill wise.

Not saying go s chassis to be lazy and it does all the work for you, but they're a better handling vehicle which in turn will give you the confidence to drive harder and get more angle etc.

Also alot of the time its power, never start off with a high power car because you'll never grow the balls to actually use the power to its limit.

just my 2c

• Like 1

Any R/S chassis with a properly locking diff (2 way, shimmed standard or welded [im not going to judge you]) is a very capable drift car. Make sure it doesn't have any boost leaks, that it has an adequate cooling system, a check of the AFR's and a good fuel pump would be my prerequisites if I was about to get into it.

If you have a bit of cash to throw around then next mods would be front mount intercooler, exhaust, electronic boost controller and oil pressure/temp and water temp gauges (don't trust the standard ones) but any car you buy now will have some/most of these already.

You will be amazed how far you can push a standard car before the car become the limiting factor and not your skill as a driver/size of your testicles.

Your user name is awesome. Yeah i was just asking about n/a because i currently have a n/a r33. but a n/a 180 makes less power then my car so my only option would be turbo.
Can someone help me make a list of affordable drift cars. between 5k-10k (buying price excluding mods)

cheers

Edited by SkylineR33RB25

Where are you located? Just trying to figure out what tracks you would be drifting. My mate started drifting in a bog stock NA R33 with a 2 way, and he f**king kills it for it being a non turbo car. He actually won the amateur series and was the only NA car in the field, so skidding an NA r33 is definitely possible but he can really steer very well.

Personally I would either buy a turbo S13/180 (SR not CA) or a R32/33. Can pick up a fairly standard one of any of these cars for 5k. 33's seem to be especially cheap at the moment.

You do have the (harder) option of turbo'ing your current car, but you would have to replace the gearbox with a 25 turbo box which is a $1-1.5k adventure on its own.

• Like 1

Did a bit of research i think my best options are;
an s chassis (s13-14 180sx 200sx), skyline (r32 r33 turbo rwd version maybe even an old r31?) or toyota supra
Just a lot of browsing car sale websites till i find a banged up one without rego.

Edited by SkylineR33RB25