SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

Have had the car back for a few weeks, roof is all painted and good - still rocking the old broken bonnet still till the new one comes in

We made up some s/s plates to cover the hole from the flush ones that broke and go back to 'normal' bonnet pins they worked well and might paint this black and use them on the new bonnet as they increase surface area connecting to the bonnet etc

post-41809-0-06394500-1438656936_thumb.jpg

Gtr bar has been painted put on with cf jun style lip and ally air guide painted also

post-41809-0-99719800-1438656992_thumb.jpg

Also put a shroud on too, havent run one of these in ages ! so all ready and sorted when out to a tuning day to have a run

2 laps in coolant pissing out of the bonnet I came in had a look packed it back on the trailer and went home... im mean seriously !!

Alas, seems something random was thrown from the fan into the radiator causing a small hole - bye bye radiator

post-41809-0-68383200-1438657132_thumb.jpgpost-41809-0-07517600-1438657151_thumb.jpg

At this stage by myself and my helper ... were pretty much just over it

post-41809-0-73346800-1438657306_thumb.jpg

but alas, while waiting for my newly ordered Koyo rad I put my old CA koyo in bleed up the cooling system and headed out to the same track 7 days later to have anoth crack, so persistant !

The car ran absolutely floorlessly... did a good 40 plus laps. Was great to get seat time and see the cars potential and to hold up to a hammering it was designed to do finally ! pretty happy....

So smiles on face laoded up went home put the car in the garage still on the trailer so have cleaned it up on the weekend and about to embark on my first circuit outting driving straight at barbagallo this Thursday night

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been out on track a few times with success now... feels good to get some untroubled seat time...a few tuning sessions and 1 x session at barbagallo

Only got 6 hots laps that night before the rain came, when it rained I packed it up before I did something stoopid and ruined my run of good fortune... did a 67.4 long track on achillies 123 tyres not real having much of a clue and braking way too early .. 63's with good tyres seems the mark for a decently quick rwd car so hopefully 2 sec gain on driving ability and 2 secs going to some good tyres eventually will put me in the ball park

havent yet played with suspension setting or anything just out there driving it right now...

finding it a little hard to get the slow in.... fast out (and also not burning up tyres on way out) thing down but will get there

Pics from No limits night

post-41809-0-80438900-1441161873_thumb.jpgpost-41809-0-20521400-1441161873_thumb.jpgpost-41809-0-79343200-1441161872_thumb.jpg

Also finally got my new bonnet .. get your Charbon on ... now back to looking semi pretty again ... hope it stays that way

post-41809-0-42001000-1441161948_thumb.jpg

out again in 2 weeks for some more track time ... then hopefully get into some sprint series stuff as well

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so developed a 'misfire'... turns out injectors not flowing so good ! :no:

blocked obviously from e85 (4 years old) ... new id1000's ordered and due tomorrow

post-41809-0-03040400-1444185086_thumb.jpg

compression test / leak down test shows no huge drama - little down on no.4 but within range still so should still be all good...hopefully

set of slightly used yoko 050 265's acquired..

getting new wheel alignment as recommended to run with 5 deg castor and getting massive under steer going back to what i know being 7ish and hopefully solve the issue

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks !

Ive got No limits tonight at Barbs... then RAC tuning day on 6th Nov

we are entered into the McRae rally sprint next week but in the purle s14 (in pics above) .. dont know whether Im driving or co - driving yet depends whether the my friend is up to driving as he recovery from a hosiptal visit

Went to No limits last night ... had a great night, good people it all flowed well and a good decent amount of laps. Car ran faultlessly and improved my times second time out on long track and first time at short track yielded a 64.2 long and 55.62 - respectable and getting there

obvious improvement with better tyres but also my driving came along a bit but still heaps to learn and be nice to get those times into 63's and 54's eventually

also for interest sake I weighed the car at barbs, surprisingly still heavy being 1270kg... this is with about 35L of fuel and full race trim ie: 2 seats etc but goes to show even taking a heap out shows how much you put back in with cages and all the 'go fast' bits

Im pretty sure I can get 30kg out of it easily ie: passenger seat out, door trims and frp boot and about another 20kg with lighter rims and a few other things like that without going full chop shop which I dont want to do

If I stop breaking this so often the racing funds might be able to accomidate some of the above if I can just be spending $$ on tyres and fuel and not fixing it so often tongue.png

• 4 months later...

hey ..... yeah sorry been a while .. thanks for the interest i'll update

so since I left off prior to xmas was just doing a heap of driving with the car as is ..seat time

on totally shagged 050's i managed offical time of 64 flat at Barbagallo

runninng out of tyres I bought some 295 Hankook softs from over east that were brand new but 2 years old... so reasonably hard but good enough price to get and has yielded some Ok results and scrubbed up decently after 2 track outtings

They fit good one the front even ..go the tubs

post-41809-0-47994900-1457495550_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-11158700-1457495569_thumb.jpg

I did some fun track days taking passengers etc down at our Collie track, point and shoot track but good for something different

post-41809-0-33047900-1457495632_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-11038600-1457495649_thumb.jpg

Car going really strong mechanically and finding my groove in the seat

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

One of the setup problems I was facing using numerous parts from different stuff in combination was the castor rods in the PBM package when mounted to the original point wouldnt allow anymore than 5deg castor

As a result of this and other things no doubt I have been getting massive understeer... now I combatted this with the right foot therefore rear end oversteer :yes: but obviously not the real way to go, as such we moved the mounting point for the front of the castor foward and braced etc we now have a nice 7.5 deg castor... this has improved turn in alot

post-41809-0-68331200-1457496285_thumb.jpg

during a tuning session prior to Xmas had along of seat time... I know its not natsoft etc but harrys lap timer showed me a 63.71 sec lap at barbs and was fun times

about 3/4 through the day coming down back straight things got a little loose in the rear and got called in by a fellow driver who passed me.... came in and my Origin rear wing with make shift gurney snapped ! haha

post-41809-0-44802600-1457496485_thumb.jpg

having a break over xmas period I have only done one track night that was In Feb ... driving with no wing etc was differrent and pretty loose but was good to try different setups on the car... so I was rocking the street car look for a bit

post-41809-0-19887400-1457496982_thumb.png

Alas... I cant help it... Im a wing guy... I ordered a Topstage V3 big daddy wing ... it has been received and is currently being put on the car right now. The wing stays which I have yet to see are not going to be so subtle as what I wanted when I went it to talk to the guys doing it vs what was going to happen at the end of the conversation changed a fair bit ha... will see what it comes out like

I am driving the car again in two days time to trial it

I seem to have a problem... but anyway... since the wing was bought and being put on I have a spare Origin front bumper and thought I would start to mock up a front splitter etc to potentially use moving forward

this will be made out of honeycombe composite for the splitter and Ultrabond composite for the additional bits, so not full awesome carbon and cheap enough but also strong and decent enough

this will also be fully and easily removeable as one full unit with front bumper as will the rear wing as I still want to be able to just drive this thing for fun !

post-41809-0-84108900-1457496884_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-47521900-1457496915_thumb.jpg

while I was rolling i thought why not... so I have also ordered some MCA reds they are on the way soon .... will be starting with 11kg front springs and 5kg rear as recommended but obviously after testing etc that will probably change

From it weighing in at 1270 kg i managed to remove 20kgs via things like passenger seat and a few other things and running approx 15ltrs of fuel not 35 - 40kg I dropped another 20kg odd so weighed in at 1232 kg so thats 1316 with driver... i dont know how or why but car at 1200kg without driver would be nice

so I think thats it for now but over the next few weeks things should start to change / develop more

;)

I really dont know where this is going to end up at the moment lol..... all I know is im still having fun with it and enjoying develpoing the car .... which way and how the car will be developed from this point I might be heaps might be nothing haha

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 2

All good im pretty slack sometimes ... recently got reinspired for the 4 doors myself recent article on speedhunters for jap time attack had a r34 sedan 700hp rb25 running a 57.xx lap pretty cool as thats quick!

Go the sedans ??

Keep at it

• 2 weeks later...

so rear wing stays done and wing on... not 100% complete they are getting powdercaoted black and have to clean some stuff up. stays 100% solid and very light weight

few laps at a tuning session with rear wing at zero angle etc good starting point, its not a high speed track but did give me back rear end stability compared to previous... much testing etc to come with the few changes coming

post-41809-0-51883500-1458269914_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-30498600-1458269939_thumb.jpg

few quick phone vids a friend took below... dont know how to embed then etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFEqLibwDck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTa2DVKfaNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTa2DVKfaNs

MCA suspension is in transit... materials for front splitter etc all ordered, half I have collected the rest be next week Id say

Edited by bcozican

Thanks mate... ill learn one day ?

Car seems quick ... just need to practice practice and get better lines more consistantly

Big wing is big I was actually quite surprised mainly that the depth of it. Same as richo etc is using and quite a few others so hopefully does the job

• 4 weeks later...

Ok trying for more consistent updates here after numerous more track days everything is still strong and good... insert thumbs up here !

the wing stays have been powdercoated back

a recent track night at Barbs going into the last corner I pushed a bit too hard and ran outta talent with my left wheel on the grass binned it into the sandbox, nothing crazy but cracked up front carbon lip good enough for it to be turfed and that's now going the be the 'splitter' bar with origin bar now being the normal one

recent track day at collie was great 40 + hot laps, passenger rides and also push to try and go fast sometimes too + cruise sessions ..good day out

Since then the car is up on jacks stands...

The MCA reds have turned up and gone in

I picked up some second hand Project Mu 2 piece rotors that where still in good nick, so will skim those disks and use them but also got a new set of the newer carbon replacement rotors + motorsport pads which can go in later

As many have recommended with MCA suspension they recommend going to standard sways bars so the whilelines come out and standard ones with all new links going in... weight saving of 7kg right there..

Also to complete my little splurge I could help myself... rolling around on the rota grids that I have a heap of from drifting are obviously very heavy. So in the event of not chasing power but moreso reducing weight I bought some lightweight rims

Ce28rt Black Editions - 18 x 9.5 +14 front (8.1kg) and 18 x 10.5 +15 rear (8.6kg) - they are on the way now and should have them by mid next week, i'll prob run 265 a050's around and see how that goes.

Given the rotas are heavy + been powdercoated they weigh 12.5kg each so between the new rims, different sways, 2 piece rotas and going back to a 265 tyres I looks like i'll reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass by about 21kg and + sways adding to weigh loss should be a total of about 28kgish

car should be back on track in a few weeks

post-41809-0-57991200-1460599806_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-56773500-1460600039_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-79097500-1460600050_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-83614100-1460600130_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-38338500-1460600763_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 3