SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

The direct changes I made to the braking system were the 2 piece rotors moved up from a bm44 to bm 50 and new brake fluid. Lost above half the bmc fluid in 5 laps and not the previous 20 odd (unless it was actually happening just not enough yet to notice) I didnt lose pedal feel other than the usual brakes are too hot feel only came in to let car cool down and noticed then? And it wasnt sprayed everywhere was more a leak from the top and air under the bonnet caught it and spread it a bit ....Thoughts?

Havent checked cap etc yet

Reference to overall improved braking came from above + new suspension + splitter combo (obviously dont know specifically as all changed at once)

Edited by bcozican

It would be very unlikely/unusual to pump/spit fluid out of the reservoir.

A loose/dislodged cap might be worth checking.

But I'd have a closer look at the brake line unions onto the BMC too.

Very soft pads that wear can also account for dropping brake fluid levels, so possibly a combination of factors.

Edited by Dale FZ1
  • Like 2

Thanks Dale...2 of the back port connections to the bmc where not tight... weren't loose as such but given heat and viscosity of brake fluid prob enough to squeeze some juice through them and out. Everything else we went over twice and looks ok so have tightened and will monitor that.

Im out this Thurs again so will get a better idea of the newer setup and can relay info for anyone interested in DIY splitter etc and hopefully the brake fluid stays where it should from now on

I was busy at the track the other day so didn't get any track photos but this is how the splitter etc finished up for those interested

post-41809-0-09769100-1463451975_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-02185200-1463451989_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dale...2 of the back port connections to the bmc where not tight... weren't loose as such but given heat and viscosity of brake fluid prob enough to squeeze some juice through them and out. Everything else we went over twice and looks ok so have tightened and will monitor that.

Im out this Thurs again so will get a better idea of the newer setup and can relay info for anyone interested in DIY splitter etc and hopefully the brake fluid stays where it should from now on

I was busy at the track the other day so didn't get any track photos but this is how the splitter etc finished up for those interested

Splitter looks awesome, tight fit on the trailer!

yeah tight fit and too low so its bumper off drive onto trailer bumper on.... hey im not baller spec enough for an airbag trailer etc :angry::yes:

but its 4 fast clips to hold it on for the trailer and then 4 bolts either side accessed through those two blanking panels to secure it properly for the track - not too bad until I can come up with something that improves that

Quick on and quick off is good, especially if it's all nice and firm when fitted. With enough give if/when you have an excursion... :}

Good to see you found the likely culprit for fluid leaks. Never hurts to double and even triple check those unions for proper tight.

Last Thursday I went to Barbagallo for No limits night... it was one of those nights that lent itself to not a lot of track time with track incidents taking a lot of time only got out 4 x long track and 2 x short track

The brake fluid leak reared its head again ... in the end it was deemed it was the cap leaking as nothing was around the unions so quick thinking and good glove work from my mate yielded the below to see it we could stop it / stem the tide so the night wouldn't end early and bingo... worked perfectly no more issues - weird !

With the limited time I had on track I was impressed with how the car felt a lot more braking, mid corner speed (basically no understeer) and good drive out of corners, there is some tweeking to do obviously but its how Ive wanted the car to feel from the start.

Found some issues with more rear squat and the softer sway bars the tyres are getting chopped. We have 70mm clearance after chopping some of the guard away... no enough it seems so more will have to go

In the end I got a 63.4X long track lap and 54.5X short track lap with same tyres that 1 sec taking off my last PB ... the car has more in it with this setup prob another 0.5 / 1 sec just in setup and driving

Much to learn with driving skill and consistency and also need to grow some balls and push a bit harder too but all in all a decent result so far so looking forward to more seat time

post-41809-0-78835800-1463969781_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-63096700-1463969953_thumb.jpg

post-41809-0-17267300-1463970096_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Been a while Ive had some time off not being at the track as it was that time when everything was wearing out and $$ were need for upgrades, replacement and general servicing

So out again in about 2 weeks to start getting back into it so everything is in motion and nearly ready to roll

New clutch in ... single plate from NPC

For the front brakes ....new Project Mu SCR Pro two piece rotors on and going to try H16 - 03 pads / rears are Ok and will stay the same 

Fluid change for gearbox and diff = Motul

As I wasn't fully happy with the way the car handled through the corners with understeer so Ive got new spring rates front and rear from MCA to try - same as others on here have had some success with so they are in and will hopefully give more feedback and less understeer mid corner

With the guard chopping the tyre, we cut about 10 -15mm more out of the guard and that's really all I have as its up to the rear door sill now. Folded the inner lining under and welded it so have about 15mm of flat all the way around under the guard now so even if it does touch it wont chop. With new heavier spring rate and more room it shouldn't anyway

Also, I know not great shots, but finally have the new Ce28rt Blacks on with new Yoko 050's - mediums 265 front and 295 rear 

For the first outing in 2 weeks I will not be running the splitter, have the topstage carbon r32 front lip for the GTR front bar coming that Im going to attach to the ally composite undertray/ splitter as I wasn't really happy with the airdam Id made on version 1

Ce28rt and brakes.jpg

Ce28rt on car.jpg

Rear gaurd chop.jpg

Ce28rt and brakes.jpg

Ce28rt on car.jpg

Rear gaurd chop.jpg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still working on this bit by bit

Went out to a tuning day two weeks ago on old tyres just to get some seat time, try a few things and  difference setups with the spring rates. First real track time in ages as raining keeps hampering everything I turn up to at the moment. Did around 50 - 60 laps and just tried as much as I could

Last night ran a No limits timed night - once again rain came but got about 10 hot laps in with dry and warming track. Made good improvements to balance of the car, trying to trail break into the corner to help kill the understeer. All in all starting to feel sorted but lots to go. still haven't got my carbon front end but no doubt with WTAC over now it will come soon

PB on the night = 63.1  with more in both the car and driver - 62.5 is the aim so getting there

Car is weighing in at 1244 with 50L of fuel - so Id say for a 5 lap dash will need 10L so weighing about 1205 / 1210 if I wanted to get skinny on the fuel side

After 3 years of drifting and 1 year of circuit the mighty stock rb25 gearbox has fallen.....  4th and 5th gear are not happy at all - I can handle that for a $1K replacement part really

Weight Oct 16.jpg

No Limits Oct 16 pit.jpg

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

The frustration is real :14_relaxed:  small slow developments  on the car and small slow developments in driving skill

I have knocked a few tenths off my PB but still just in the 63's on long track at barbagallo an important factor looking at the positives is a lot more of my laps are closer to being near the quickest I can run so there is consistency improving a lot

No Limits Dec '16.jpg

No Limits Dec '16 straight.jpg

I am still experiencing massive understeer so the car is not close to optimal yet.

The diff which is a kazz 2 way hasn't been touched other than an oil change here and there for 5 years .. so 1) to make sure its OK and 2) under advisement from other circuit guys I have given my diff to the local diff guru who has checked it and its mint condition but more importantly he is doing XYZ to it to wind it back to basically make it a 1.5 way where he said it should stop some of the push im getting mid corner and should help to some degree with some of the understeer problems I have in his experience and opinion

The uni joint in my tailshaft was shot full squeaking spec and dying fast, there was also a dent in one of the two pieces. So its also getting a new tailshaft built from scratch rather than just rehashing an old one again

I have been waiting on my carbon lip etc for a long time... finally it got delivered in early December. Alas the awesome courier decided to throw my delivery, which had fragile written all over it, onto my second story balcony. WTF !    When I opened it ... cracked !   arrgghhhhhh  so going through the process (insurance) of getting new stuff. So frustrating

In the mean time I need to try other stuff to address this understeer issue and have to balance out the big rear wing I have on the car which has to be a contributing factor. So I am using the albeit cracked carbon lip and working on the ally composite V2 splitter which is well under way and I hope will, in combination with other changes, improve the balance of the car through corners.

Bumper splitter v2.jpg

splitter v2.jpg

splitter v2 under.jpg

So this is where we sit at the moment... hopefully some good results to come as Im out in mid Feb next :banana:

• Like 1

You will always get understeer at Wanneroo, particularly through Kolb but also T1 and it punishes the lap times particularly hard.

In no particular order I have found the following helpful.

Reducing the preload on the diff.  The last thing you want is it pushing the front wide and to be honest you wont get much single pegger loving anyway with less preload.

Increasing the rear spring rate relative to the front.

Run loads of front end -ve camber.  How much do you have?

Sod off big rear anti roll bars although if you go too hard on the rear realtive to spring rate the car turns in brilliantly and then washes out which makes it really frustrating to drive.

There isnt a huge amount of aero to be had as the mid corner speeds are below 100km/h.

Edited by djr81
  • Like 1

that's why people go big power big brakes at wanneroo to go fast huh...

Ultimately aero on front should only really help through esses and up over the hill...but also from my experience will help in braking and running smaller brakes it should help

Kolb I seem to have down but still definitely does push !  but from turn 1 right where yes I get constantly pushed wide no matter what I do though to up over the hill after V8 race cnr is horrible even the last turn onto the straight.

Ive had Jai, Andy Stevens and Brad Cuss in the car all were disturbed at the front end but thought the rear end grip was awesome

Im addressing the diff preload thing so that's good.

I run -4.5 deg camber in the front with 7 deg castor and touch of toe out

I had 11kg F and 5 kg rear springs in at first then through advice (when I asked them how to address the understeer issue) now have 15kg front and 6 kg rear... fronts run on full soft and rear on full hard so as the car sits now you could say they are not right as there is no real adjustment left

the sways are standard under the advice .....    but yes I tend to agree with you I think a larger rear sway will be the next on the list pending how the above goes next time out ...

trying hard not to make too many wholesale changes at once but as we all know its hard when you have limited time and budget for 'testing' each change

?? thoughts

Edited by bcozican

Thoughts?

Take some front spring out of it and buy some sway bars.

If you are running 65mm spring they aren't more than a couple hundred bucks a pair and easy enough to change.  I would start there.  Chuck the 11kg back in and see what difference it makes. It should henlp in the mid corner and will then give you a direction.

Castor/camber is about in the ball park but with a big spring stiffness and relatively little anti roll it is hard to be sure.

I'm not a fan of the hard front/soft rear and no antil roll bar upgrades recommended by some.  You will get really good traction but buckets of understeer.

what you said was actually going to be my next move

when I first started this car I had tiens in with 7kg front and 4 rear with massive 27mm front and 24mm sways from my drift car - albeit the same result of understeer but drove totally different so if I can get somewhere in the middle i'll take it at this point

Thanks !