SAU Community

R32 Gtst - Track Car

bcozican

Been along time on the updates so here goes

Ran in WATA in Nov '19 - had blown headgasket issues and by the end of the day had oil coming out of gearbox and diff also - still ran a good time and had fun but was running the car at 10/ 10ths and it had copped a beating for a fair while

16118473_InfiniteTimeAttackAW(1).thumb.jpg.542230e31629ec4cdf34618e00bcb499.jpg

After a bit of a rest the rebuild began - longer than I wanted and expected but coming to a finish now

Was running a 4.3 diff with 2 way kazz from drifting now gone to a GTR 1.5way Cusco setup w shafts etc setup by the diff guru over here in W.A - also nice Greddy hat

Coupled with new 2 piece tailshaft also new twin plate Direct Clutch spec clutch

216855947_GTR3.7with1.5wcusco.thumb.jpg.5ab342c1299cd84f3f3491b57c9ecdf2.jpg

In addition to assist in modulating braking better but cbf going full peddle box went with in engine OBP brake booster replacement was balance bar etc

1432304825_OBPpedalbox.jpg.1925c15aafff9a6b229a210bf3b67b90.jpg

Was using gauges in the dash that basically didnt work or I didnt look at anyway so went with Powertune dash for now its not bad for what it is and gives the nice basics for a hack like myself

568945285_PowertuneDash.thumb.jpg.1ba287d60c80d92510de6d4883ab7529.jpg

have updated comfort and safety with new seat and belt

449535439_VeloSeat.jpg.b5001ea6ed8855d99049d2f5d66d2a50.jpg

BIG change for me is sold off the PPG dogbox and went Samsonas sequential

Samsonas.jpg.36fd6d40a6546ebf44f79cfffb4a7415.jpg

No pics of it but changed ECU from older Vipec v88 to new Haltech 2500 with all the gear + full rewire of engine loom

Will be going DBW soon also

Also - total rebuild of the engine - still forged rb25

273322219_EngineRebuild.thumb.jpg.59acc8339ec0ebd5626fd3690885de91.jpg

Along the way for weight and cleaning up the old interior picked up Topstage carbon dash

1551377683_TopstageCarbonDash.thumb.jpeg.2ecfdf465edf26dde72df2fd0779fedd.jpeg

All the interior is put together new Sparco with quick release in there too 

1664332834_NewInterior.thumb.jpg.10df4178d70c666d6737052a1b7c4880.jpg

Martin from @Unzipped Composites has been awesome and come on as a sponsor for me moving forward and is cooking up a fancy new front end and bonnet that will be soon installed and completed

1921381163_CarbonFront.jpg.a1f5988aeddca898b23158bfe4488f1c.jpg

So after all that... the car is setup with a base tune we'll go run it on - get a few more bits put on and then hopefully it'll be go time to learn all the new things at once and try and progress from there

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Getting to the end of the ver. 3 upgrade to the car now 

Have had a run in session for checks etc all went well

Martin from @Unzipped Composites been working really hard and produced some good stuff we've had planned for a while now

New splitter / front wing, oil cooler ducting and rad ducting

Few small bits left like DBW and full tune but will get out testing asap even just with the run in tune just to get back in the seat and get back to having some fun driving

Splitter.jpg

Splitter side.jpg

Bonnet closed.jpg

Oil Cooler inlet.jpg

Oil Cooler ducting.jpg

Rad ducting 1.jpg

Rad ducting.jpg

• Like 7

On 23/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, couchboy said:

F@#k yea that the biz mate 👌💪. I'm building a r32 as well.

20200506_173104.jpg

I hope you take this as friendly advice rather than critisicm, but - move that second element backwards man, I really don't understand this wings-on-wings business that seems to be popping up all over the place. We stopped making bi-planes in the 1930's for good reason haha. Love what I'm seeing everywhere else though! That front bumper is what you need Laine, eh, eh 😉😉🙊😇😇

Also because I'm just as proud of the bottom side of that wing as the top: 

20201120_135833.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I hope you take this as friendly advice rather than critisicm, but - move that second element backwards man, I really don't understand this wings-on-wings business that seems to be popping up all over the place. We stopped making bi-planes in the 1930's for good reason haha. Love what I'm seeing everywhere else though! That front bumper is what you need Laine, eh, eh 😉😉🙊😇😇

Also because I'm just as proud of the bottom side of that wing as the top: 

20201120_135833.jpg

Cheers man, any advice is greatly appreciated 🤙. When you say move it back do you mean all the way to the front of the arch?

Your work is awsume, looks clean and tidy 👌. One day ill get to doing some carbon parts 🤤.

58 minutes ago, couchboy said:

Cheers man, any advice is greatly appreciated 🤙. When you say move it back do you mean all the way to the front of the arch?

Your work is awsume, looks clean and tidy 👌. One day ill get to doing some carbon parts 🤤.

Move it back in relation to the main element, which in your case is the splitter. The function of that second element should be to create a diverging path for the air to flow through between the main element and the second element, which re-energises the airflow coming from the bottom of the main element and creates a much more aggressive angle of attack. To create that diverging path, you probably want a gap between the splitter and the second element of 2-3% of the total chord, and an overlap of about 4-5% of the total chord. So say your splitter had a chord length (straight line between leading edge and trailing edge) of 300mm and your wing flap had a chord length of 120mm, for a total chord of 420mm, then your gap between the splitter and the wing flap should be ~8mm-12mm, and your overlap should be in the region of ~18-21mm.

What is happening currently is you have a high pressure zone of air on top of the splitter, and a low pressure zone of air under the wing flap, and those two cancel each other out. Not quite 100%, only about 80% - but what that means is you get a lot of drag for the downforce. If you move those elements in relation to each other, the high pressure air on top of the splitter can be used to re-energise the low pressure air on the bottom of the wing and delay separation, making a lot more downforce and a little bit less or the same amount of drag.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Move it back in relation to the main element, which in your case is the splitter. The function of that second element should be to create a diverging path for the air to flow through between the main element and the second element, which re-energises the airflow coming from the bottom of the main element and creates a much more aggressive angle of attack. To create that diverging path, you probably want a gap between the splitter and the second element of 2-3% of the total chord, and an overlap of about 4-5% of the total chord. So say your splitter had a chord length (straight line between leading edge and trailing edge) of 300mm and your wing flap had a chord length of 120mm, for a total chord of 420mm, then your gap between the splitter and the wing flap should be ~8mm-12mm, and your overlap should be in the region of ~18-21mm.

What is happening currently is you have a high pressure zone of air on top of the splitter, and a low pressure zone of air under the wing flap, and those two cancel each other out. Not quite 100%, only about 80% - but what that means is you get a lot of drag for the downforce. If you move those elements in relation to each other, the high pressure air on top of the splitter can be used to re-energise the low pressure air on the bottom of the wing and delay separation, making a lot more downforce and a little bit less or the same amount of drag.

Cheers for the advice will defantly move it back 🤙.