SAU Community

Breaking Rear Drive Sharfts

r34unit

yo
I was driving my mates r34 gtt today it has 330 kw blah blah, with a heavy duty clutch and standard drive train.
As i hit boost in second gear it broke the passenger side rear drive shaft. This is the second time its happen on the same side. The drive shaft has lasted two months tops since its been rebuilt.
as any one else had this problem ? does he maybe have a problem with his diff causing it to break on the same side ?

thanks in advance ?

Yeah I grabbed an NA shaft thinking it would work because the CV's had the same bolt pattern but they are thinner. GTR ones are thicker but have the 2x3 bolt pattern.

Something along those lines anyway

Just because it snapped coming on boost doesn't mean that's what killed it, the damage was done (not long) before the failure looking at the pics.

How hard does he drive it? Would take a massive shock loading to snap that shaft...

• Like 1

No, GTR are outright 6 bolt, plus stronger everything.

NA should be 2x3 6 bolters, like S chassis cars, with the weakest CVs. R32/3/4 turbos should be 5 bolt with the "medium" strength CVs.

I must be going crazy, Could have sworn when I was looking at driveshafts when I snapped mine the GTR ones were 3x2 but a quick search now it seems that they are 6x1. Going senile at age 25 it seems..... :S haha

When I snapped mine I figured it was from excessive axle tramp (the initial fracture) and a hard launch one day finished it off. It was a very similar failure to yours. This was on 195rwkw with 19" wheels and 265 wide rear tyres. I now have near 300rwkw and 18" wheels with 265 tyres and Havent had a driveshaft problem since the first one. Mind you I dont go dropping my clutch and doing skids

Any pot holes or rough road when it happened?

Saw a gearbox break recently due to this, going onto power, car got slightly light and back down again over the roughness killing the box.

Never had a issue on the flat in the past.

As could axel tramp.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/15/2014 at 5:55 PM, r34unit said:

post-99078-14186264603518_thumb.jpgpost-99078-14186264727933_thumb.jpgypost-99078-1418626504493_thumb.jpgpost-99078-14186265196841_thumb.jpg

Nice pics, very interesting break. I'm no expert but it looks like metal fatigue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)#/media/File:Tender_fatigued_axle.JPG

If the replaced driveshaft was a used part a contributing factor could be that the unit was repeatedly loaded beyond its intended limit during its lifetime aswell. Similar to when you bend a paper clip at the same point until it eventually snaps.

Dark, corroded void near surface looks like it may also be a manufacturing defect but that's just assumption, could be just oil stain.

As to why coincidently passenger drive shaft failure may be to do with how the differential is transferring load, similar to how an open differential spins one tyre under certain conditions.

May only be far fetched and theoretical but hope this contributes to the discussion.