SAU Community

R34 Sports Sedan Build

rcs_888

Well tonight i have managed to remove the old AC condensor, most the pipes, the pump is now sitting at the bottom of the engine bay as its gotten too dark to work on it and i cant see any way of getting it out easily lol. Also found a molten something will take a pic in a min if someone can tell me what it is

Well the charcoal canister has a line that runs down alongside the exhaust and just infront of the CAT there is this once upon a time plastic piece. Was it just a joiner that i can replace with rubber?

post-96314-14242624374835_thumb.jpg

Well its now decided that the carbon/charcoal canister is being removed now i just need to sort something out for the vent in the fuel tank. Does anyone know of the fuel filler cap is completley sealed or if it can vent?

So it turns out that after the fire in the engine bay there have been a couple of niggling issues but now that all the AC components are removed and the charcoal canister etc the engine bay is looking alot cleaner and less cluttered now it just needs a good scrub

Now this is more for my reccords so there in one place

post-96314-14244308860353_thumb.jpg

post-96314-14244308968537_thumb.jpg

MALLALA - 1.31-1.32 rough times 1st time out

40* day light breeze

50* on track

Overheating issues

8psi boost

28psi cold pressure all round

32psi hot pressure

good balling on all tyres

Understeer on turn in main issue

Want to try less front pressure

Also need to upgrade swaybars soon and hopefully that will gain me abit of grip

So i have an ISC 52mm alloy rad coming be here hopefully next week so that will hopefully help with cooling issues. Also has a 16" thermo on it so im gonna make a decent shroud for that and then remove the stock clutch fan.

Im also hopefully gonna order some whiteline swaybars this weekend going to go with 27mm front and 24mm rear

Cheers buddy, yeah i like it too but i think its going to have to be removed soon :( unfortunatley i didnt think i was going to go down the track of a front facing plenum anytime soon but im making my own as we speak so the intake pipes arent going to clear the oil lines :( DOH!

So it might be up for sale at some stage and i will possibly make a coolant, oil catch and PS resivour all in one on the pass side :/

• 2 weeks later...

So it has now run outta rego so no more street driving. I have just ordered about 40m or rollcage steel so that should be in, in the next week or so. In the mean time im trying to look through other R34 cage builds as i reckon im gonna take out a heap of the rear parcel shelf and the rear seat backing so that i can build the cage into the rear strut tops instead of onto the rear wheel wells. Has anyone got an opinion on that?

Also just tossing up between building a fuel cell to my exact needs or buying one thats kinda what i want. Buying one is wayyy cheaper thats the problem.

Also removing all un needed interior panels and wiring. Hicas computer, abs module and Airbag module are also coming out.

So its getting there slowly. Aim is 1300kg fully caged

My R33 had the rear parcel shelf sheet metal removed before caging.

Couldn't see the point in running the cage to the rear tubs when the shock towers could be used once thing were tidied up a bit.

Word of caution: remember the fuel tank is in close proximity to where you will presumably be drilling out some spot welds associated with that parcel shelf bracing, and welding other stuff in. It could be time well spent to remove the tank. Safer, and you can access other stuff much more easily while doing your mods.

Got pics of the section they removed?

Yeah thats pretty much where im at saves getting a strut brace plus removes extra sheet metal.

Yeah stock fuel tank is coming out anyway going to be going a 90L fuel cell and a 3L surge with twin 255 lift pumps and twin 044 feed pumps. Its all massive overkill currently but really dont want to build it 3 times.

Also what do most people do with the front of the cage to the firewall? Obviously not being mac strut style is there any point going upto the strut towers?

There's pics of my cage and the parcel shelf work etc in a thread under Motorsport Builds.

If there are particular events you are targeting, I'd strongly recommend looking at their regs because there might be limits on what cage design elements are acceptable. Otherwise be a bit creative but don't add weight unnecessarily.

Getting the front shock towers and A pillars/firewall area tied into the cage design would have to pay dividends for overall rigidity but there looks to be a lot of work for questionable improvements to performance or safety. You'd very likely find yourself running something like a floor mounted pedal box, some sort of custom dash and race instrument pod, and push the driver rearwards (a good idea) while you're at it Budget has to influence proceedings somewhere.

There were some pics floating about on this forum of a cage using those design elements but never saw it as a finished unit. I think the bloke involved in building it has disappeared off the scene.

Yeah i had a browse through your thread and printed off a couple of pics as inspiration. You have done your roof bars and your back bars how im doing mine aswell having one big 'X' meeting at the centre of the main hoop sounds to me as the best and strongest way of doing it. Also howcome you dont have the bar from lower foot of your A pillar to top of the windscreen? My cars over 200mm is the 33 under or is yours not cams certified?

Yeah i cant see a whole lot of sense going to the towers as its not really a structural point considering the cars are a double a arm setup the towers wouldnt see as much loading as most cars would.

Yeah budget in this is a huge factor my fiancé and i have just bought our first house so bills and mortgage take preferance so im doing pretty much all the work i possibly can myself and that in itself is kinda rewarding. Takes longer but means i know that sofar noone else has done anything to the car

Requirement for a Sainz bar is only for certain event classification. If it's only club level event, not mandatory. I can always install one in the future if required.

Sainz bar effectively prevents the windscreen coming down in the case of a heavy roll (think back to Carlos Sainz rolling his car at Rally WA in the early 90s). They do make entry/exit from the car much more tricky, so that in itself becomes an issue.

My concerns in a track crash scenario is more frontal and side/angle impacts so the bracing I used reflects that. Personal preference.

Juggling return on construction/design effort, I'd suggest a brace between the front towers is easy. Tie bars running forward from the A pillar legs really needs a bare shell construction simply because there's very little room to work with. They might do something good, but the Skyline shell is a very much stiffer base structure than a Datsun 1600 or early Z which seemed to get a lot of benefit from similar bar work. So for an R chassis I think it's not as worthwhile. The issue might be whether it's allowable in the event type(s) you want to run in.

Yeah fair enough i can see it being in the way of weekend use if not in full competition. My aim though is to build it once unfortunatley i have walked away from 2 previous builds when i did something once then before it was even on the track so this time i want to build it once. But yeah i can see where your coming from. My plan is to compete in Targa and possibly World Time Attack later this year.

Im not 100% on cage design and feel free to tell me differently if i over engineer the design and add in as many bars as allowable on schedule J its not like i will be restricted from events because the cage it too over designed if that makes sence obviously without going overboard and adding in heaps of weight.

As for this weekend i have managed to remove all ABS, TCS, Airbag and HICAS Modules this week i will be redoing the brake lines to bypass the ABS pump in the engine bay. Also all AC and Heater units have been removed.

post-96314-14264222021963_thumb.jpg

post-96314-14264222166489_thumb.jpg

Possibly 1/4 of the gear i have removed

post-96314-14264222371192_thumb.jpg

Also decided that im going to go down the path of Haltech stand alone ECU as then i can run a Flex Fuel sensor and i can still run the VCT while doing away with AFM aswell.

Why did i use an R34 as a base there are so many computers and so much wiring!

post-96314-14264222823022_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since ive updated the thread but alot has happened recently. I missed my most recent track day as went to dyno the car and with all TCS and ABS etc removed the ECU had a spaz and seems to be all erratic with the tune so decided to fix that issue...

post-96314-14288375955798_thumb.jpg

I present haltech PS1000 so once that turns up will be making a new engine loom for it.

In the meantime thought i would try my hand at building my first cage so this is just from today l. Firstly removing the old parcel tray so that instead of mounting to tubs we can do from strut top to strup top

post-96314-14288377582814_thumb.jpg

Then took a heap of measurements and the old measure twice cut once well it was measure 20 times bend once and all worked out pretty well

post-96314-14288378772761_thumb.jpg

post-96314-14288379064389_thumb.jpg

Now with my base plates i have tried to pickup the original brace points but obviously welded in to help triangulate that area. Still keeps within CAMS regs so i like it

post-96314-14288379239413_thumb.jpg

Hopefully work on it abit more this week get abit more progress on the cage before the haltech turns up