SAU Community

Open Source Rb Trigger Kit

murrayis

Hi Guys,

I've been long pondering the idea of converting my factory CAS based ignition system to a trigger wheel configuration. Upon much investigation's I found that there are 2-3 kits on the market for the RB engine series that range from the basic setup to the extreme where everything in included which in some cases is much overkill.

I decided to design my own setup, Having a 3d printer and CNC mill at home I thought how hard could it be - Really. I spent a few hours in CAD drawing up what I would expect to work with my RB20 and a factory CAM gear.

Crank Bracket:

post-23119-0-25122100-1419828731_thumb.png

Cam Bracket:

post-23119-0-32917600-1419828724_thumb.png

From here I set to work printing them out and dummy fitting the sensors to check my measurements

Crank Sensor Mount: (Sorry only v1 image but you get the idea)

post-23119-0-81279200-1419829058_thumb.jpg

Cam Sensor Mount:

post-23119-0-36744700-1419829073_thumb.jpg

With a few adjustments everything lined up perfectly!

The moment of truth arrived and I set to creating the tool paths to cut the parts from aluminium on the mill at home. I've thus far only made the final crank sensor mount.

post-23119-0-80170400-1419829067_thumb.jpg

After the above was machined I then set to modify the factory rb26 balancer as the trigger:

post-23119-0-86650600-1419829093_thumb.jpg

Once machined I mounted the balancer back to the engine and confirmed fitment of the mount and sensor

post-23119-0-80170400-1419829067_thumb.jpg

post-23119-0-65237500-1419829069_thumb.jpg

So this is the progress so far of my Christmas break with a week 1 week down and another to go I hope to have the trigger finger for the cam gear sorted in the next day or so and will post my progress.

If anyone would like a copy of the CAD files please PM me I am happy to hand them out and once everything is sorted hope to be able to offer these to people who don't have access to have these machined for roughly $250 a set

Your feedback is welcomed!

Regards

Cameron

• Like 1

I would be very keen for a setup to suit rb25 neo,.. What else would be required? Just the Hall effects sensors?

I am trying to understand the advantage of this. Would I be correct in saying the rb engines do not have a crank sensor and rely on cam sensor to determine crank position? If this is correct then why do additional cam sensors also need to be installed?

Running the timing off the CAS can be a very inaccurate way of controling your timing.

CAS runs off the exhaust camshaft, which is driven by the timing belt, the belt can stretch, slap and so on making the timing move around.

Best way to run it is straight off the crank, bypassing the inaccuracy or the timing belt and the issues it causes to timing fluctuation.

Ok thankyou, why does the cam sensor also need to be changed if it is already fitted with one from factory?

So the ecu knows if it is tdc of the compression or exhaust stroke.

Ok thankyou, why does the cam sensor also need to be changed if it is already fitted with one from factory?

Just to expand on what Ben said, the original Nissan CAS is too complicated for the task of just providing the stroke reference once you've handed the task of overall engine position over to a sensor on the crank. So you bin it and its slightly flaky optical triggers, replacing with a nice single sensor.

Thanks guys for all the feedback overnight and PM's.

The reason for not going for 12 trigger points is some ECU's cannot keep up with the count, Yes I know with less if the count is lost it takes longer to regain the position however with only 6 points their is alot less chance of losing the count as the ecu can keep up.