Open Source Rb Trigger Kit

murrayis

Everyone loves a picture.

Timing logs off my own car.

Without a crank trigger.

6C859AB6-5CA1-436B-AA65-873DBAD76007_zps

With crank trigger.

31EDDFD0-69B7-4BD8-8267-31B5B0438C21_zps

Probably worth mentioning that it's not essential on all RBs. For instance mine with the stock CAS is about as accurate as your trigger set up

Capture_zps65364c8d.jpg

Probably worth mentioning that it's not essential on all RBs. For instance mine with the stock CAS is about as accurate as your trigger set up

Capture_zps65364c8d.jpg

I don't understand how some can have issues while others won't, even with the same setups, .. I want to upgrade ECU but am fearful of timing issues, so don't know if I should go for a trigger kit from the get go even though as you say it's not essential in all cases

I hope something like that with all the mass at one side would not cause issues at high rpm? The design is a little different than the others I have seen. Would it still work with vct?

post-90047-14199930822356_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackBox

Hi,

I thought the same but then I looked at some other kits that just use a longer bolt in the position of the adjustment bolts on the cam gear which weighs about the same as this 1.6mm rolled steel.

I welcome professional feedback :)

Cheers

The issue with using a disc is the centre if the cam gear is set back from the front.

Not a problem. Two piece centre, with a shim/washer behind. Spot weld together if paranoid, or make it out of 3mm sheet instead and machine some thickness off the bent up arms afterward.

The 2mm gap is the detection range and the finger needs to within the 2mm

This is what I was talking about, mine on my setup didn't read correctly till we got it out to exactly 2mm, any less and it would miss teeth, @ 1.1mm it would miss upto 9 in a roll at cranking speed, my ECU has a built in oscilloscope and that is how we found this issue

You only having one finger to look for probably won't be an issue though

It isn't volume it needs to be same moment of inertia. I=m x r x r where m is the mass in question and r the radius of the centre of the mass.

To work it out treat the bent up tab as one piece and the other section as a second piece. Add the results together.