SAU Community

Open Source Rb Trigger Kit

murrayis

i went with 24 slots as it gives each cylinder 4 points for the ecu reference

8 points actually. Remember there is 2 rotations of the crank for a single cycle on the cams.

How many trigger points would people recommend when running Haltec platinum pro?

You must use 12 teeth on the crank if you want this setup to work with your Haltech Platinum Pro. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK helpful advice coming down the pipe.

About the Cam wheel and trigger:

1) The flat head cap screws that the trigger is apparently designed for are near impossible to find. I will be making some myself by machining normal M7 cap screws. The cams have M7x1.00 pitch threads...yes M7x1.00. Should have known when I had to get the 11mm socket out that something was funny. With my Tomei cam gears (and Tomei cams) I needed 43mm of depth for a NORMAL headed bolt to go on. a flat head screws should be similar length...Flat head cap screws are a great idea though because the countersinking will allow more room under the top timing cover (I'll get to that in #3 below). I have attached a picture showing NORMAL BOLTS M7x1.00 (50mm cut down to 43mm length). I also am using the factory plate and added lock washers.

2) Be Prepared to cut your timing cover. Thank goodness I had this gaudy Nitto clear cover and it trimmed out very easily. The sensor still SLIGHTLY protrudes into the flat plane of the cover, but I bet I could lightly file it (1/8" or so). I will be making a new plate to rivet on to my Nitto cover in the shape of the (sorry to say) Alien-head-shaped hole. Again see pictures for clarification. Not much about the design could be changed to rectify this.

3) The bolts from #1 above will definitely break the plane unless I find some flat head (countersunk) M7x1.00 cap screws. I'm telling you they are impossible to find...I'll be making some.

Crank pulley trigger:

1) I have the Tomei oil pump and it's cast differently than the factory oil pump. The pressure adjusting part of the Tomei oil pump makes the installation of the lower trigger impossible. I will have to make another option. Also It looks like my Fluidampr harmonic balancer won't work either. I will be making another tooth and pickup arrangement for my setup, but I kinda suspected that before ordering (and now we know!). Also note in my pictures that the harmonic balancer is not pulled very far onto the crankshaft yet.

Overall very pleased. WE need to find a solution for the cap screws on the cams and I believe this should be included in future kits.

Thanks!!

post-136202-0-82735700-1437670238_thumb.jpg

post-136202-0-03116500-1437670254_thumb.jpg

post-136202-0-66724800-1437670285_thumb.jpg

post-136202-0-91991300-1437670322_thumb.jpg

The lower bracket and Tomei pump issue, no room to machine the bracket out to fit over the pump?

Or does the sensor itself still hit the added oil relief casting on the Tomei pumps regardless of what you do to the bracket its mounted on?

Murrayis,

No sweat. The effort was valiant. As I like to say, "The credit belongs to the gladiator in the arena...not the critic in the stands". You've done great aside from pick an odd ball cap screw that I'll need to probably have machined, but i figure thats more of Nissan's fault than yours. To be fair I figured I was on my own with the crank dampener regardless...now we know. Now we are both gladiators in the arena.

Send me the drawings, I am a mechanical engineer with the ability to get our problems solved and likely cap screws made! What is the bevel angle and diameter?

really impressed. great work. really like the crank trigger setup, as for teh oil pump fitment clearence issues, perhaps thats why other setups are mounted from say the oil pan rail, rathern than the front of the block.

I would be real keen to find out if its possible to create a disk setup that works inside of the stock CAS, essentially keeping it looking stock at the front.

would hate to CUT up a nice set of 26 painted covers.

Great to hear Robert.

Guys and Gals - I am going to do 1 more run with the factory and leave this project as Open Source.

If you want in please let me know as the order has been placed with the factory and they are waiting on confirmation of numbers - With the USD v AUD not looking to improve any time soon the cost is slowly increasing to produce.

Currently there's 15 sets out in the world from Canada to Tasmania all the way to Sweden - I could not be more happy with how this project has turned out.

Cheers