SAU Community

C210/C211 Skylines

This Thread is for any info we can find regarding factory specifications, Factory/Dealer options and variations.

I have been looking for ages and I can't find any online info on these apart from Japanese enthuiast sites which dont seem to offer much if any tech info.

I will edit this thread every now and then and remove any comments not relating to the above, and update any info obtained.

Thanks

Jason aka V8skylineMAN

So far here's what I have got

M/D/H R 30 front struts and brakes are a straight bolt on affair

Providing you have the cv joint rear end in your C210/C211 R30 rear swing arms and disc brakes are a straight bolt on.

L20et turbo gear(manifolds/turbo/plumbing/ECU) is a bolt on upgrade.

L26/L28 eingines bolt stright in and will also accept turbo set up from L20et

Ld28 crank in an L28 with a 60 thou over bore will create an L30.

• Like 1

The C210/C211 classification of skyline came out in japan with the obligatory stovetop tail lights. But in the UK and Australia we got ugly rectangle tailights.

They came as a 2 door pillarless coupe , stationwagon(called estate) and sedan.

787479skylinecoupe.jpg

7874jc1.jpg7874jc2.jpg

7874kiku3.jpg7874kiku7.jpg

They also came out with varying models including :

280D GT

2000GT ES

2000 Ti ES

1600 Ti (L16 100 PS / 6000 rpm)

1800Ti EX (L18E 115 PS / 6200 rpm)

1800Ti EL

Ti

2000GT (L20 115 PS / 5600 rpm)

2000GT EX (L20ET 145 PS / 5600 rpm )

2000GT EL

NAPS

2000 TURBO

240K GT

The C210/C211 range came with a few different lighting setups.

Headlights

*I think the twin rectangle lights may be a modification*

7874squaretwinlites.jpg

Twin Round is C210, Single Rectangle is C211

japan1.jpg7874nahama1.jpg

Tail Lights

In Japan, the four cyl models all came with the rectangle lights, and all six cyl models came with the stovetops.....In the UK and here we got the rectangle ones on everything :(

Black car is C210, Blue is C211 * anyone with a better pic, please pm me with it and i will replace these shoddy pics of my cars

7874c210a8.jpg7874my4door-r.jpg

Orange car is C210, Black is C211

7874eelrear11.jpgsrear.jpg

Drive train is only the same in the non-turbo six cylinder variants. The C210/211 came with a few four cylinder arrangements also. I think your manual would be of limited use, although some of it will definately be the same.....ie front suspension. Rear suspension is of a similar design in that it is a semi-trailing arm, but shock and spring placement is different, for example the c110 will have the spring in between the body and the swing arm, a la Datsun 1600, whereas the c210 has it atop the shock as per r30...

Is the manual you already have, for the 210 or 110?

well, if your interested i may know somebody selling a C210 nissan workmanual for around $40, i bought mine off him so he is legit (i was originally going to buy the C210 one, but decided on a c110 car instead :D)

hi there.

Great to see a forum topic dedicated to C110/210 Skylines !!!!

I have a C210 4 Door rally car....

L24 with L28 Crank and Pistons

Autronics injection

Close ration 5 Speed

4.8:1 LSD

R30 Rear End

etc...

Cheers

Tim G

tim (sorry to sidetrack the conversation), how easy was it to fit the R30 rear end? just bolt up? or did you have to drill new mounting holes? what sort of diff is in the r30 anyway? i am looking at putting an R200 in ours, would the R30 be a better choice?

R30 diff is an R180(So is the C210's) but they are tuff as anyways...only reason to put an R200 would be for the lsd that is harder to get for R180's and for that lil extra strength if you are doing a LOT of clutch dumping with big rubber.....

Rear struts are straight bolt up....tailshaft is bolt up.the only thing MAY be the width of the rear subframe....but that shouldn't be a problem either.....

I have a complete rear clip for the r30 sitting in my shed ready for my C210 coupe.....havent measured it but cant see a problem( hang on,, im not tim.....I'll shut up now)

The C211 heralded a significant change in the Skyline philosophy. There was no more GT-R , the highest performing Skyline was now the GT-ES(KGC211), which came out in April 1980 and was powered by the L20ET, a 140hp, OHC 2.0 litre turbo straight six, in reality a sleeved down version of the venerable L-series six, as found in the 240Z to the 280ZX, making this possibly the physically biggest ever 2.0 litre engine! The basic versions were called 1600TI and 1800TI now and featured L16 and L18 engines respectively, instead of the preceding "G" engines.

By June 1980 a 2.8L diesel version was offered.

Moving away from the swoopy lines of the C110, the C211 had a boxy and somewhat staid bodyshell. Not to mention heavier. The wheelarch extensions and spoilers were now gone, replaced by chrome trim and typical late 70's style "personal luxury", with a lot of fake wood. The Skyline was certainly not alone in following this trend, Mazda releasing the RX-5, the 260Z replaced by the 280ZX, and all sorts of good cars at the time like the Dodge Charger and Ford Mustang becoming chrome laden, velour-lined gin palaces for the disco generation.

The change in mood was echoed in the engine bay, the L20ET's lack of top end zing and its reluctance to rev marking it out as a touring car, rather than a sports machine. Certainly the awkwardly wide gear ratios don't help, with a very low first three gears, then a long gap to the relatively tall fourth and fifth. People who have driven one mention how effortless it is on the freeway, but a fast car it is not, cutting the quarter in perhaps 17 seconds.

It may be easy to poke fun at the C211 for losing the sporty looks and spirit of the GT-R's before it, but nonetheless it holds a considerable historical significance. It is, after all, Nissan's (and Japan's) first effort at turbocharging, spawning the long line of turbocharged performance Skylines, Zeds, Silvias, Cefiros, Glorias and 180SXs we've enjoyed since. The older S20 engined GT-Rs would never have survived the fuel crisis of the seventies, nor the tightening emissions regulations later on, so the C211 can hardly be blamed for changing with the times for survival.

Honda has VTEC, Mitsubishi has MIVECs, Toyota has its distinguished 4AG and 3SG twin cam engines, and Nissan bolts on a turbo whenever the need for speed arises. And all this started with the car you see above.

To my knowledge it was never raced seriously by the factory. Rather than devalue the marque, Nissan showed an admirable lack of oppotunism, by stashing the GT-R badge away, to fight another day. I wonder if the guys at Nissan knew how long it would actually be before a car would leave the factory wearing the famous red "R".

R30 rear end was a straight up BOLT IN job !!! I actually busted a rear trailing arm and could not source any C210 parts, I tried bolting the R30 Arm onto the C210 Cross member but the toe and Camber was Waaaaaay out so in went the whole rear end !!!

biggest advantage for me was Discs and CV-Type driveshafts, no more broken Half shafts !!!!! These shafts are very strong !!! I still use the R180 Diff, these are quite strong and much lighter than the R200.

Cheers

TG

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this C210 near my house and he's selling the whole car but its not running, I'm only interested on parts that I can use for my C110, I heard I can use the electronic dizzy? straight bolt-on right?

Anything else I should take?

I dont remember if mine had an electronic dizzy....the R30 does. If the c210 does have an elec dizzy then grab it cos yes it will fit straight in.

Depends what you need......is yours 5speed? if not his might be...basically the whole drivetrain will bolt right in....suspension probably wont, but i know that the front control arms are a fair bit longer and will fit....that will give you HEAPS of camber in the front....ask the guys on the "project 240k" thread....they should be able to tell you how much camber it was as they had c210 arms in theirs(they took them out tho)

Not sure on front strut lengths so you should measure yours against his....his might be a bit shorter and thefore lower your car slightly.

As far as i know the brakes are all the same.

Was the c210 a coupe?

I am not sure how much of the front of ours is C210, I am pretty sure most of it is (though we have coilovers and different brakes), there is a bar that is too long for the c110, once we replaced that with the original it seems fine (it was around 30 degrees of camber before)

check out the day 2 pictures, there are a few photo's of the suspension there..

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

no photos of rear suspension there....

your springs ARE in between the trailing arm and the body, aren't they?

if so....coilovers or strut tower transplant are in order to fit the r30 spring/shock assembly to a C110

• 2 weeks later...

a bit of an update on our front suspension.. i found out alot more about it today.. oh and i want to atleast sound a little more intelligent than my previous posts (doh! i have learnt a lot since then!, i am still learning though!)

when we first got the car pretty much the whole suspension, steering and crossmember where of C210 origin. It does bolt directly up.. but that isn't necessarily a good thing :D

when we picked the car up it had a massive amount of negative camber (around 30 degrees!). Nick (the previous owner, nixcars on this forum) gave us the original c110 crossmember too and recommended that we put it back in to fix the camber

we visually compared most of the control arms, and ended up replacing these two rods (sorry, don't know there names, they are both forward of the crossmember)

This seems to have visually straightened the wheels, though obviously (if you look at our site :() it hasn't been professionally aligned yet. I need to still double check the steering arm lengths though, but the crossmembers seem to be identical.

Brake wise we are running C210 height adjustable coil overs (one of the reasons we bought the car!), with Honda accord rotors (will measure the diametre) and 4 spot landcruiser callipers, picture here

hope this clears some things up, sorry it took a while to clarify

We will be selling this brake setup soon if any one is interested, as we need to move to something a "little" bigger :(. It will only fit a c210 strut though, not the c110 (not sure of the difference as we never had one!),

Hope this clears some things up for those of you interested

Kent

Some parts for sale here if your interested (not mine):

http://www.ozdat.com/classifieds/view.php?...s&searching=yes

C210's sold in Oz had a points dizzy only, R30's were the first with electronic ign. 280ZX uses the same electronic dist as R30's and both will bolt straight onto any L6 engine....of course you also need to change the coil and remove or bypass the ballast resistor.

• 6 months later...