SAU Community

R32 Gts+t Daily/street

40 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

The dedication and sheer speed!

Mine has been on the hoist for 2 weeks, fuel system half arsed and yeah, Cbf lol

next track day is 20th august... need to start and finish the fuel system by then. probably should upgrade the rear sway bar to match the front too

• 5 months later...

Purely to spite Ben C34.

Prior to the August 20th track day i did a basic fuel system upgrade.
lPOVKx5.jpg
L33Nesr.jpg

Made it to the track day
first lap out and came in the check tyre pressures when i noticed there was oil absolutely everywhere.
I traced the leak to the catch can vent.

hBSugAT.jpg

I emptied the catch can from the drain but only ~200ml came out so something was obviously a miss with the baffling. Without much time we decide to remove it and upgrade it to a dual HKS and Nismo system

khUzNRT.jpg

InfjtK4.jpg

This solved the oil issue and by the end of the day there was hardly any oil in the catch cans.

However, even with the baffled gated Hi-Octane sump I was still hitting engine protection due to low oil pressure.

The logs showed that oil pressure was now stable but capped off at around 50psi whereas before with the stock sump it would increase to around 90psi but drop to 15psi.

After some research it seemed like the Oil pickup may not be sealing to the block resulting in air being sucked in at the top rather than oil at the bottom as would the path of least resistance. When I had fitted the extended pickup to suit the new sump I had reused the old gasket style seal which the later model AWD RB’s have. But the extended pickup was of the older style which used an O-Ring seal.
kwy5113.jpg
JQhJAmt.jpg

So with a brand new genuine O-Ring seal acquired we got the car back on the hoist and went through the sump removal process which as you may recall from last time required the gearbox, clutch and flywheel to come off to get to the rear 4 10mm bolts.

New O-Ring seal fitted and back together went the car

c81fZe3.jpg

this should fix the issue right? As the only thing that had changed from when it had good pressure but poor oil control was the baffled sump and extended pickup…

• Like 2

Nope basically no change even had fresh 20W50 ULX110 oil which may I add required 3 bottles to do a change. The oil pressure at idle was low around 20psi and maxed out at 45-50 psi by 4000rpm.

We were thinking that potentially the Oil pressure relief on the oil pump was jammed. So again off came the sump, gearbox, clutch and flywheel. But to ensure if the pump relief was jammed I took off the pump as a complete unit rather than just removing the relief while leaving the pump in the car. Which as you may know required the accessory belts and timing belt to come off as well.

Oil pump off and relief shown. I removed the spring to check the relief valves range of motion and it was as smooth as butter with no scoring.

FF31fAm.jpg

But as you can see the pump its self was rooted

Mri0vgK.jpg

There should not be any of those concentric grooves some of which were easily 2mm deep. So a brand new N1 oil pump was ordered.

while waiting for the pump to arrive I noticed that the Turbo oil drain rubber line had split
9f5X6iq.jpg

So this was replaced with a new hose.
lDaESQm.jpg

New N1 pump arrived
ixEZgJs.jpg

This went in along with some new genuine cam seals to be safe.
and bam here we go
yuMhUXB.png
over 90 psi of oil pressure on idle.

so after four sump and gearbox removals we made it and time to chase that 1:19 at Mallala

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Yes please, it's a neo now isn't it? Solid head should have less issues. Did you put a restrictor in the block before you put engine in?

Yeah Neo now never had any issue with the RB20 but was also only Nistune so not as much safety as the Link

Nah stock long motor have not opened it and let the magic out as yet

20 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

HOLY SHIT, we have the same scoring marks!!!!!

Did you use Spool Import gears too?

yeah wild!

Nah just stock gears i considered going upgraded gears with the new pump but figured a brand new N1 should be fine

out for the first track day where i was able to more or less have an issue free outing.
and i manage to get my 1:19 finally! 
t43q4d0.jpg
cergHsa.jpg

I also generously provided some aero parts and a window banner for my Mates MPS (FYI i have a big ass sticker cutter now if anyone wants stuff)
XhwSYrj.jpg

all was going well until the very last lap when my AC pulley decided to escape. taking out my clutch can on the way
9Op2gSf.jpg
jAt8ccv.jpg

but hey drove there beat my PB and drove home

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

out with the old
5lTnZLW.jpg

in with the new
1w82t6D.jpg

say what you will about GKtech fans but this was one of the original ones and didn't explode when a pulley went through it and was still good enough to get me home

also found out why my car was getting slower towards the end of the last track day
a9qtPpl.jpg
MUeMCUe.jpg

8 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I have found genuine nissan T3 gaskets to be excellent quality and only about $30 a go.

kinda like.. this one?
fresh OEM nissan T3 gasket

hFZvlxJ.jpg

• 6 months later...