SAU Community

R32 Gts+t Daily/street

okay lets continue this story.

new box in. this box had a measly 11,000kms on it. Pulled from a car back in the 90's filled with oil and kept in storage for a mate of mines personal project...which never happened but i got to reap the rewards.

oGmhU1n.jpg

fresh rear hub assemblies as one had started the develop a slight wheel bearing noise at speed under load. last thing i wanted was a wheel bearing failure at speed. fresh studs where a nice touch too

RPg9Xif.jpg

8bmGRge.jpg

when installing the new box we noticed this with the Clutch slave. have since found out the 15/16" HFM units have an issue where the body of the cylinder just touched the bellhousing before the mounting tabs are flush causing a angled force which results in this over time. OEM nissan unit back on for now. see how it holds as my clutch had required a bigger cylinder due to blowing out the seals in the stock sized ones.

qji6YP2.jpg

all back together an track day ready.
As expected the super low kms RB25DET gearbox was butter smooth and really changed how enjoyable the car is to drive!

follow up post from the track day coming soon!

• Like 2

Track day October 2019
track wheels on

Br4GRzz.jpg
qVOnsSq.jpg

lined up ready for the session 

KrzO8rE.jpg

coming back in

FT1kO1T.jpg

cooling down

1fI0Mht.jpg

*Euro beat intensifies*

Xzr4TSR.jpg

Having a blast and matching my old PB when in the first afternoon session...the T3 gasket melts again. The resulting leak effectively creates a gas torch which ended up melting the hose inside my braided waterline so my day in the 32 ended here. Though my mate let me drive the above AE86 in all its stripped out NA big brake glory and so much fun was had!

Still i limped the car home without any overheating.

post track day tear down

another T3 gasket melted. This one was a genuine Nissan complete with flame rings

8YffO8J.jpg

Brass nuts mushroomed
2gMZ6sg.jpg

"flame proof hose"

f1fKUT5.jpg

pitting in T3 manifold flange

Y3HkfbY.jpg

spent a long time carefully facing both flanges

VpgirHB.jpg

installed inconel studs and copper nuts (generic pic but you get the idea)

MBlfZMB.png

all back together. With the fresh gaskets, inconel studs and copper nuts. Along with carefully facing the flanges and using the Nissan nut retaining washer tabs i have done as much as i can.

The main issue is the turbo is technically too small for the motor and is running outside the efficiency map so lots of heat is generated. So if this doesn't hold i guess the only option is a bigger turbo.

Jgc06S7.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 8:05 PM, mr_rbman said:

Saw your car at all jap day, love the trak spec cars at those events 

oh awesome. You had your GTR on "yy plates" ?

Come say hi if you ever catch me out an about!

6 minutes ago, Looney_Head said:

gutted about the gasket letting go again, setup looks awesome.

to be fair i never took heaps of car re-facing both flanges when replacing the gasket so i think previous issues with the heat and stretching studs/melting nuts where exacerbated by a slightly warped flange.

Cheers though!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have had some issues with high speed stability on track so a couple of years ago now i picked up a GTR wing with one of those wank flaps pre-installed reasonably cheap.

Basic simulations suggest it will do something even with the higher roof line of the sedan.

Top Stock GTR wing (only aero surface modelled). Bottom no wing.

the added flap may actually help to compensate for the higher roof line so we'll see

wCLEJJg.jpg

Genuine wing too :D

unfortunately someone had hacked it up to fit a silvia(?) :mad:

so the plan is to reshape it as close as i can and have it on a spare boot lid i can swap on and off for track days as i still like the look of the boot lip. I'll likely take off the extended flap too.

9NzLPHP.jpg

bCVehOK.jpg

IaQ3D14.jpg

OssJNTP.jpg

I have read this, hello fellow 4 door person.

It was nice to know my own foray into "I'll just do a few track days and just break everything, repeatedly" was not the only one, as I had many of the same problems until I said fk it, turbos can get f**ked, f**king flanges f**king manifolds f**king lines f**king heat f**king wiring f**king diffs f**king gearboxes f**king overheating f**king

And then go do it all again :D

49 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I have read this, hello fellow 4 door person.

It was nice to know my own foray into "I'll just do a few track days and just break everything, repeatedly" was not the only one, as I had many of the same problems until I said fk it, turbos can get f**ked, f**king flanges f**king manifolds f**king lines f**king heat f**king wiring f**king diffs f**king gearboxes f**king overheating f**king

And then go do it all again :D

its a slippery slope for sure haha. One minute you have a mediocre daily.. nek minnit you are happy if it lasts a 15min session problem free

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Awesome build mate ?. Been reading this on and off and have really enjoyed it. I really appreciate the dedication you've had to this car and wish I'd done the same sorta stuff to mine. I put a neo in my 32 nearly 10 years ago and apart from a few minor mods that's as far as I got. Hearing the sound of yours with the gate open is like a heavenly choir from the gods. Very inspirational look forward to seeing what happens in the future for this car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, Pey32 said:

Awesome build mate ?. Been reading this on and off and have really enjoyed it. I really appreciate the dedication you've had to this car and wish I'd done the same sorta stuff to mine. I put a neo in my 32 nearly 10 years ago and apart from a few minor mods that's as far as I got. Hearing the sound of yours with the gate open is like a heavenly choir from the gods. Very inspirational look forward to seeing what happens in the future for this car.

thank you! comments like this keep me motivated to continue posting my build diary

no huge updates but it is officially on Club/historic rego "only 90 days" per year allowed but last I checked that is more than the ~10 days a year it has been out in the last few years....

4gv0MKB.jpg

I took it out for a cruise and despite not using more than 20% throttle the majority of the drive it is a world away from the sub 1.5L NA fwd Toyota i have been cruising around in

EY1CxyS.jpg

• Like 4

Everytime I look at this thread it progresses :)

Just a question, are you still filling up your catch can on hard drives? I'm constantly filling mine up now, so as of recent I used the spare head/VCT drain from head to block (not used on NEO motors) and vented that to the catch can. Hoping that would some how resolve crank case pressure building up and pushing all the oil into the catch.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Everytime I look at this thread it progresses :)

Just a question, are you still filling up your catch can on hard drives? I'm constantly filling mine up now, so as of recent I used the spare head/VCT drain from head to block (not used on NEO motors) and vented that to the catch can. Hoping that would some how resolve crank case pressure building up and pushing all the oil into the catch.

I definitely still get some oil and e85 in the catch can.

I was getting it pretty full After a 15min session but I was overfilling my sump because #RBoilproblems. But after only filling to just below full on the dip stick it wasn’t as bad Maybe 200ml after a 15min session.

i do still want a head drain/sump breather 

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Seems yours isn't pushing as much as mine.

I fear the motor needs to come out for the both of us and time for sump vents 

When filled just above the line I was getting a full and overflowing 2L baffled catch can in 15mins of track driving 

but yeah proper oil control and some restrictor a too. And then I guess MLS HG while I’m at it