SAU Community

Thoughts On This Gtr R33 Thinking Of Buying

Km won't be genuine as it has the nismo cluster fitted and most of the parts that indicate wear have been swapped for aftermarket bits and pieces.

Price seems a bit steep for what it is. (Based on what is actually in the ad)

4 door headlights, bonnet swap, 400r front bar suggest to me that it may have had a front ender. Would be something to look at in person. Hard to tell from pictures.

That car has a long and very chequered past. Has been in Aus ( Brisbane ) since the 90's and although very rough underneath had a huge amount of money spent on it back in the day. It was originally midnight purple and was confiscated under the proceeds of crime act and left in storage for several years which stuffed the original paint. I'm not sure what was done to the motor after it had been sitting unstarted for years. You may or may not get some answers from the current owner. It's got a lot of good gear in it ( no pun intended ), and I reckon if the compression/leak down test came up fine, it would be a great car for $35k. Little bit too blingy for my liking.

Whilst I understand that everyone here is only trying to help, it would absolutely shit me to tears if the car in question were mine....

People surmising that it's been in an accident, others saying it was impounded because it was drug funded (I'm not saying that's not true, but as if that matters...), some saying it's too expensive, etc, etc....

All of this is hearsay. If you're interested in the car, go and check it out.

I have personally seen this car on the road and it looks and sounds incredible. This is coming from a GT-R owner that currently has his car for sale. I could rubbish the car all day because it would be beneficial for me to sway someone onto my car, however I'm not like that and too much of it goes on in the car scene.

Go check the car out. From what I saw of it, it was a very nice vehicle.

• Like 2

It is a very nice car, and I have known the history of it and it's original owner in Australia since the late 90's. I don't need to go into any more personal details here.

I know the mechanic who used to service the car and I have seen the condition of the car before and after it was modified to it's current state of tune. I, and plenty of other people in Brisbane know exactly what the original owner did and had happen to him and the car ( old rego "Fussy" ). Facts. Not hearsay.

As I said, this car had almost unlimited $ thrown at it a long time ago and I assume more over the last few years to get it tuned for cane juice. Most GTR's have rail and other accident damage. Most get repaired properly and you don't have an issue if they have been done right. This car sat at impound for a long time and I was keen on buying it myself about 10 years ago, but managed for find a very tidy one for sale, before the Police had this one auctioned off.

I would own it at $35k, ( it's had more than three times that spent on it ). As long as the car checked out fine, which I would expect it to, it would be a great purchase. A colourful history is nothing much to worry about. Those bloody headlights are another matter.

• Like 1

I wondered if this was "Fussy" I remember the car from back in the day(2001). I remember seeing it in the driveway of (probably) the owners house on the Southside with another gtr can't rememeber what model I think it was another r33 gtr and it was pretty obvious the guy living there had some serious cash flow going on

A. That's what car forums are for - enthusiasts helping enthusiasts. If a seller can't stand people discussing their car, then don't advertise it.

B. Hearsay - something completely different to what you think it is.

A - That's fine and OVA 300 may know the car, but the statement he made about it being "very rough underneath" would be enough to deter some (myself included) from even going to see the car. A GTR with rail damage isn't something I'd cough up large amounts of money for. I'd rather have photographs or view the car in person to be sure, that's all I'm saying.

B - Let's not argue semantics, I meant it couldn't be substantiated via posts on a forum, which it can't. I wasn't speaking in a legal sense. What I said was apt in the context in which it was said.

Edited by kawasakirider

Funny what you can find on a Google search.

Archive.org has a archive of the auction listing for the "FUSSY" R33 GTR: https://web.archive.org/web/20110223220127/http://www.lexsimshauser.com.au/p197-nissan-skyline-fussy

VIN is the same as the car in the link if you check licence plate on the TMR: https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/checkrego

So OVA 300 was on the money. Doesn't mean the car is crap though, just that it has a checkered past (and a whole lot of money spent on it).

Looks pretty good in the auction photos and even better in the current photos. I'd check the "rough underneath" carefully though!

Edited by BuuBox

I think it's only fair to say that it all depends on what YOU want. It is after all going to be your purchase and will sit in your garage - R33 or R34 GTR doesn't matter - which do you prefer? :)

People can speculate backgrounds of anything all day, but until you see it in person and make a fair assessment for yourself, it's not really doing the vehicle any justice, is it? Kind of unfair to the seller too in some respects I feel.

If you like what you see, pay for an inspection and get it checked mechanically if you are still uncertain of it's condition.

As I said above. I've known the car and the original owner for a long time. I know it had some rail/sill damage. I suspect that it would have been properly repaired, as the car has had massive amounts of $ spent on it, and the original owner was indeed, Fussy. I would own it, if I didn't already have one. My own car had minor damage and squashed sections of sills ( like so many GTR's do, with their butter soft sills ) when I bought it. Hell, my car was an ex track/street car from Japan and has millions of pop rivets in it. I have no idea how many k's the car has done, only that the Tomei forged motor was built 14000k's before I purchased the car. The compression checked out perfect, and I've had 14 months of blasting around in it without issue, both on road, and on the track. The original poster in this thread wanted our thoughts and info on the car. He now has it, and can make a more informed decision on whether or not to look at/buy it. I will not be putting up all the information I know about the original owner of this car, as it's nobody else's business, and I'm not in any way trying to hurt the sale of this car. I'm sure there are plenty more GTR's sold that have colourful pasts/parts/actual odometer readings that people have been mislead about. The current owner would have known the background to this vehicle and has obviously had a lot of enjoyment out of it for the last few years.

It would be a steal at $35k and fair at $40k.

Money talks. Bullshit walks.