SAU Community

R33 Rb30det Drift Build In The Nt. 350z 6 Speed

Cheers, pretty stoked with how it turned out

Can't go wrong with vinyl when it comes to cost either; just under $400 was enough to get the whole car done.

Handled delaminated tyres, fuel, heat and more like a champ :D

• 3 weeks later...

Got all of the little dramas from Matsuri fixed up, so tomorrow morning I'm off to a morning session at QR :D

Crossmember rack mounts moved 25mm forward

WP_20161116_15_05_12_Rich.jpg

Thanks to the trusty engine crane and seatbelts

WP_20161116_15_05_24_Rich.jpg

BAM, and the bind is gone!

WP_20161116_20_26_43_Rich.jpg

Also fixed a heap of little things, so pretty keen to get it out there again:banana:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Headed out to QR last night, unfortunately after an hour of track time the oil pump gave up (suspected) :down:

My brother was driving at the time, but gopro footage shows about 3-4 seconds at about 2000rpm before he realised what the alarm was and turned the engine off.

Towed back to the pits and (after confirming there was no leaks from hoses and the sump was full) cranked it without ignition which revealed a really fast ticking noise and no build in oil pressure, so I'm pretty confident the pump gears shit themselves for some reason. :ermm:

So...
The plan is to remove the oil pump with the engine in the car and see what exactly I'm dealing with. Hopefully the crank collar is ok.

Any (relatively) cheap dry sump setups for sale? :laugh:

Tear down BEGIN!

WP_20161217_18_53_38_Rich.jpg

Rounding evident on the collar

WP_20161218_16_15_34_Rich.jpg

WP_20161218_16_15_41_Rich.jpg

Pump is rooted

WP_20161218_16_16_17_Rich.jpgWP_20161218_16_16_25_Rich.jpgWP_20161218_16_16_37_Rich.jpg

I think I'll get some Perspex and hang this on my wall...

WP_20161218_16_18_39_Rich.jpgWP_20161218_16_32_39_Rich.jpg

So I'll be removing the crank to fix up the collar (spline drive this time).
New bearings throughout and fixing anything else I might find along the way.

I get to give myself my own Christmas presents :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Ripped the engine and box out over the Christmas holidays, everything is looking pretty good considering the failure

Had to get the grinder out to cut the cam cap baffle plate nuts off, dam things just spun. Raw Brokerage is the only place I could find online that sell the bolts, anyone know a better place?

Clutch is struggling with 4th gear, but it will do until a new turbo setup comes along

WP_20161224_17_00_49_Rich.jpg

Big ends are looking healthy :happy:

WP_20161224_17_02_03_Rich.jpg

WP_20161224_17_03_17_Rich.jpg

WP_20161224_17_02_40_Rich.jpg

WP_20161224_18_28_13_Rich.jpg

A bit of emery paper and the cams will come up a treat

WP_20161225_18_12_26_Rich.jpg

Crank will get a polish while it's getting the spline collar installed

WP_20161226_10_17_40_Rich.jpg

All the bearings, plastigauge, lube, Loctite, gaskets and fluids are either in the post or sitting in the shed... so as soon as everything arrives I can put her back together again. Hopefully around the start of Feb

While I was bored (after ripping everything apart), I started mounting up a front splitter. Curious to see how it will go :laugh:

WP_20161229_19_31_21_Rich.jpg

1 hour ago, Yonz said:

Had to get the grinder out to cut the cam cap baffle plate nuts off, dam things just spun. Raw Brokerage is the only place I could find online that sell the bolts, anyone know a better place?

Clutch is struggling with 4th gear, but it will do until a new turbo setup comes along

WP_20161224_17_00_49_Rich.jpg

Tomei do a stud and nut kit (pretty sure it's just rebranded ARP) that replaces all the bolts with studs. perfect run or RHD Japan 

Part numbers for washer that goes between the cam cap and bolt 01311-00711, bolt 13058-59S00, the washer on top of the baffle plate 08915-4361A, spring washer 08915-1361A and the nut 08911-20610. The place to get them would be Amayama or RHD Japan.

Could you do me a favor and measure the height of your flywheel?

• Like 1

Dropped off the crank and spline drive to the machinist shop yesterday

Unfortunately the crack testing revealed some pretty bad cracking around the No.6 big end and main.

Luckily a mate has a good condition crank (will get it crack tested to make sure), so fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with this one

Found a pic of one of the last laps before the pump gave out :laugh:15977738_1911247445774485_1615082053375432178_n.jpg

Edited by Yonz
picture

2 hours ago, AngryRB said:

What oil pump was it? Stock RB30 or aftermarket ?

Aftermarket crank collar with a N1 pump and billet gears

2 hours ago, GH05T said:

dont use a splitter made of wood, seen it done, seen them catch fire.

I was planning on laying heat reflective tape over it for the first couple track days, to see how it goes before committing to something more substantial.
I'll be keeping a close eye on it, but if that isn't good enough I might just bite the bullet straight up.

18 minutes ago, ruinned said:

How many meters of wrap did it take to do the car ??

5 rolls that were 1.5m x 3m each

Yeah, well worth doing if you have the patience for it :happy:

I did the inside of the ridges in the below pic as one sheet, then I layed the whole side of the car from the A pillar back with one sheet; which slightly overlapped the wrap on the centre of the roof.

t.jpg

Thanks, a YouTube tutorial was my only previous experience :laugh:

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Yonz said:

Unfortunately the crack testing revealed some pretty bad cracking around the No.6 big end and main.

Faintly visible cracking in the pic. It looked pretty impressive with the dye penetrant glowing under the UV light

WP_20170123_09_43_26_Rich.jpg

Good news for the other crank though, just waiting on the collar to be fitted :D