SAU Community

Toms Stagea Build

Did the major service in februrary and since then i've just been enjoying driving it without needing or wanting anything. besides more power :D 

After the tune, suspension, brakes, and tyres the car has been fantastic and has transformed it into a capable and enjoyable car to drive.

The mod bug hit me again a few months and i've put it off until breaking point. The next step is to clean it up ready for sale, starting with the engine bay.

So far i have almost everything needed for the hotside clean up and wiring tuck etc. Once the hotside is done i will move on to the cold side, and then the exterior.

• 8 months later...

So a few things have happened in the last few months. 

The turbo is an ATR43G3SAT from Hypergear. The install of these is pretty easy if you do your research and have all the things needed infront of you.

The dump pipe is an xforce one which I die grinded the inlet to match the turbo.

I got a new muffler which is 2.3" so it's pretty quiet when cruising around, and you can see at the kink there is a 3" electric valve cutout. Sounds unreal once it's opened.

The engine bay is no where near done, but i thought i'd post a pic of some of the things i've done. 

Tuning this new turbo has been fun so far, It was a little bit concerning when i went on my first drive and it only made 13psi by 4.5k under wastegate pressure haha. A few logs and some tuning i am now able to make 8psi at 50% throttle at 2.8k which is more than enough usable boost, and my midrange has picked up significantly.

Stock injectors have been holding up... not really. They're sitting around 120%DC. So i'll put in some 480cc i have from 2 jap sr20's. 

Once i think i have the tune perfect ill be going to see Johhny who will let me know if im on the money, I can't wait to go and see him.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

image7.JPG

image8.JPG

image9.JPG

image10.JPG

image11.JPG

image12.JPG

image13.JPG

image14.JPG

image15.JPG

image16.JPG

22 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Looking good except for that dump pipe gasket, that belongs in the bin. Compare it to an oem or permaseal one and you'll see why. I suppose its in there now, once it lets go, u know what to replace it with.

It was the only thing that was skimped on and you pick it out :P I just couldn't justify $50 for a dump gasket... They can't be too bad of a design as they squish flat? The perforated holes will probably link into a crack eventually i guess.

:O wish I knew that when I orders the permaseal t3 gaskets... o well.

I just noticed I didn't have any photos of the new turbo in.
Just a bit of a mockup of the intake and hot side from today's efforts. Will be finished off with new clamps, paint, silicone, stock heat shield etc once they get here.

IMG_7523.jpg
IMG_7524.jpg

The 440* s15 injectors are in and tuned. Sitting at a nice 70% DC. Which i have pushed to 90% already...

I'll just get a turbosmart fpr2000 from Johnny and run a base pressure of 50psi. The fpr looks very stable and reliable in Andy's tests and it will push the cc to around 480

I was about to ask why not a manual??? but then I saw the Corona box...pretty hard to be drinkin' a coldy and manually shifting at the same time :P

I can't imagine the dump would see enough pressure for that gasket to be an issue... could you believe a reputable workshop used a turbo gasket (manifold to turbo) similar to that material in my R33 which gave out??  Forgot to take a picture, but OEM was soo much better quality

What's the second new turbo for??

• Like 1

Hahaha same as holding hands while driving. My love is never broken.

I was given these flat plates for the turbo gaskets, threw them out and got a multilayer permaseal. Much better!

Second is Tyler's, the white stag with 34 front above

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel pump is dying. So i grounded the pump, and a new walbro is on it's way.

Gearbox needs a shift kit and billet servo. The box is still tight, but not enjoying the 1-2-3.
Heaps of stuff has been changed or removed, re did most of my wiring and tucked it away. 

Found the wastegate arm was getting loose because the bracket isn't strong enough, I'll make a new one.

Found a huge boost leak and a few other problems which are now rectified. 

Johnny has been helping immensely on the tuning. He setup closed loop boost and adaptive tuning for safety, and did quite a lot of work on the ign and fuel table which has helped boost come on earlier and keep afrs more stable.

image1.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Cars still driving fine.

Gearbox hasn't exploded into a million pieces as of yet.

I've got some Sard injectors almost ready to go in, I just need to make another loom and do a little tuning. Then 20+psi.

It does 0-100 in 5sec flat according to my logs, which isn't too bad for standard stall.