SAU Community

Hicas Light On / Heavy Steering When Consult Connected

814k31

Hey guys

I've checked a bunch of forums and haven't found a problem similar to mine.

I am driving a 94 gtr r32 and am having some hicas issues.

My particular issue is when I connect my consult cable and hook it up to my computer (it doesnt matter what software I use) my hicas light comes on and my power steering gets heavy.

I noticed the actual change for the power steering occurs when the solenoid drops from 1.05 when I normally drive to 0.25 using nissan datascan to monitor. When this occurs I believe it stops the possibility of 4 wheel steering occurring as the hicas solenoid stayed on 0.

I have run hicas diagnostics without using consult and I get error 5, faulty speed sensor. I am currently in the middle of sorting that out. When I check the self diagnostics through datascan, I get no codes which makes me question datascan a little.

My fluid levels are optimal in the front and back.

I get no error codes in the ecu either.

My g force sensor isnt broken.

I believe my car uses the super hicas in the late model r32's

Anyone have any tips?

I would like to keep hicas.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a '92 GTS25 which came factory with HICAS and I get the same symptoms as you when using a consult adapter. I have emailed the people from whom I got the adapter and they told me that due to it using power from the HICAS computer it disables the HICAS system. You measured the voltage drop so that's the cause of the heavy steering.

I took HICAS rack/lines/solenoids out but left the computer with two wires cut, this way I still have nice easy steering at low speeds. If I use the consult adapter now I still get the heavy steering due to the computer still being active. Just remove the adapter and HICAS will go back to being operational. Need to swap the voltage source for the adapter to be able to use it without HICAS issues.

Super HICAS is a electronic version which I believe was introduced with R33s but I'm not 100% on that. You can easily check, if you have power steering lines going into the HICAS rack then it's not Super HICAS.

Also try ECUTalk and ScanTech for consult monitoring, good free programs especially the ScanTech. I think you can find both programs on the Nissan Data Scan site.

FWIW, this doesn't happen on most cars. So it is not normal. On that basis it would tend to suggest a faulty wire connection or a problem in the HICAS computer. The 32 GTRs had a factory service bulletin to open up the HICAS CUs and fix the problem of loose screws running around inside. They are also now all very old and simple things like electrolytic capacitors and the like will more than likely be dying and potentially leading to power supply problems.

As with what GTSBoy is saying, I had intermittent power steering problems (power steering went very heavy, seemed to be only when the car was hot then started)

Ive put a lock bar in and taken the hicas light out, but the light would have been on anway

Turns out my problem was HICAS ECU. Since I changed the ECU out have not had a single issue

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like the cable now
ive just swapped the hicas ecu because of a few other issues and tested it with the same result
i may buy an ecu talk cable now to test it then rather than the cheap ebay one I had purchased

What was the cable fault? I have a similar problem with GTT, when I plug my eBay connector in I eventually get the SLIP and MIL lights, and it doesn't register any vehicle speed.

Sorry didn't see your post, reply notifications are a bit dicky on these forums.

The cheap epay cable was wired incorrectly to the plug, did not bother trying to fix it just bought a PLMS USB Consult Cable and it all worked like it should.

Edited by Missileman

I got my adapter from www.stahlcar.nz. I also don't get a speed reading. I will pop open the HICAS ECU and have a look at it.

Interesting that another cable worked. Does that PLMS cable have a usb or serial output?

PLMS cable is USB.

They used to do a serial one as well, loong looooong ago. Maybe they still do. This is the opposite problem of trying to find a laptop with a built in serial port so you can tune your old Motec or Lebtech though!

• 4 years later...

I just had the same issue. I have a 93 R33 and I installed an android head unit with 2 usb inputs. I have 1 usb run through the center console to my phone in the center pocket and then the other is run to 14 pin consult cable that plugs to the car. I have Nissan Data scan 1 downloaded to the tablet and theoretically I could have on-board diagnostics through the head unit at all times.

The issue is that when it's plugged in, the car turns off the power steering and turns on the Hicas dash light. From the above it seems like that combined with no speed being registered on the Nissan scan means that the plug is wired incorrectly. Has anyone confirmed that the cheap ebay plug is the issue and if so has anyone tried re-wiring as opposed to buying a new plug?