SAU Community

Return Flow Intercooler Vs Regular Front Mount Intercooler Question

yoshiii335

• 3 months later...

I have the blitz return flow and had unexpectedly low power figures comparatively with similar non return flow based setups. Haven't had time to isolate return flow as the issue yet.

Only seems to be an issue on 34's, but what are the actual differences between the two RB25 motors that would make any discernible difference? I realize the combustion chamber is smaller, could it be carbon buildup? Or perhaps the traction throttle plate is closing causing lower power figures? Tao is trying to get to the bottom of it too.

Unfortunately if you don't want a return flow, and you don't want to make your car defectable by cutting holes, you will need custom piping with a cross flow cooler. (either up past the radiator or u bend behind the cooler.)

• Like 1

I'm scratching my head a bit with my R34 as well. With 3" exhaust and standard SMIC it was well down on power, VCT seemed to make no difference between 4000 and 6000RPM, and it just wouldn't take any timing.

Since then changed my coil packs to splitfires and put a Blitz return flow in and I have cranked in 6 degrees across the board without any pinging issues, and the car now pulls WAY better. Boost is untouched on 10psi (logging MAP afterwards indicates almost no change).

Boost line is off the compressor elbow. So if the previous SMIC was a restriction it should have dropped pressure across it (and the FMIC should show more at the manifold). But that's not happening.

Maybe it's air temperature related? R34s get pingy once the intake temps go up? Or maybe my previous coil packs were causing pinging (sounds odd I know.. but I DID have 2 intermittent coils)

Hmmm looking at buying one of these return flow Blitz coolers butt looking here seems like it isn't going to work for me adding up to my 300rwkw mark hmmm would someone recommend maybe HDi ive heard good things about them I just wanted something that would fit without cutting holes but looks like it isn't gunna happen.

Brennan can you link us I can't see it on JJ

It would appear they don't sell the exact model I have but it is essentially this cooler, with the return style piping kit that they sell separately

http://justjap.com/engine/forced-induction/intercooler-kits/cooling-pro-type-1-intercooler-kit-nissan-skyline-ecr33.html

If the link doesn't work blame my phone

• Like 1

Blitz should do 300 easily on a 33, only 34's seem to have some issues with them, but it is obviously something else causing it if they work fine on some cars not others.

The stock cooler will flow 250kw, how can a Blitz be no better?

Cutting holes isn't the answer. Get custom piping made for the cold side if you go for the HDI.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Blitz should do 300 easily on a 33, only 34's seem to have some issues with them, but it is obviously something else causing it if they work fine on some cars not others.

The stock cooler will flow 250kw, how can a Blitz be no better?

Cutting holes isn't the answer. Get custom piping made for the cold side if you go for the HDI.

Scott - What do you mean custom piping made? Piping that doesn't require cutting the frame to get the IC pipe up there :O

Scott - What do you mean custom piping made? Piping that doesn't require cutting the frame to get the IC pipe up there :O

There is enough room usually to get 2.5 inch piping up past the radiator, if you cut the shroud a little.

You can also run it behind the intercooler and back to the factory piping. No need to make your car defective these days, especially if it has an airbag as it can't ever be engineered.

There is enough room usually to get 2.5 inch piping up past the radiator, if you cut the shroud a little.

You can also run it behind the intercooler and back to the factory piping. No need to make your car defective these days, especially if it has an airbag as it can't ever be engineered.

That would be awesome! Obviously need custom pipework though.

I wish you lived in Sydney or I lived in Melbourne.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a Blitz Cooler heard a lot of good things about them I like the choice of not cutting holes yes I know I have to trim the reo bar but hey everyone loves a trim.

I got the cooler just have to fit it im looking by the end of my mods an easy 300rwkw not going to go over that just want 300rwkw street driven so should do fine.

Im running a plazmaman entry level front mount with custom pipes that join to the standard return flow setup.. it made 324kw with 16psi at 4krpm with very little drop in psi and faulty coils and maxed out injectors on e70.. where is my previous setup made 265kw on 18psi at 4.1krpm dropping 3-4psi with a cooling pro bolt on kit which was causing restrictions past 265kw on 98

Im running a plazmaman entry level front mount with custom pipes that join to the standard return flow setup.. it made 324kw with 16psi at 4krpm with very little drop in psi and faulty coils and maxed out injectors on e70.. where is my previous setup made 265kw on 18psi at 4.1krpm dropping 3-4psi with a cooling pro bolt on kit which was causing restrictions past 265kw on 98

Yes but some how your SS2 is god like haha

I still don't understand how you managed to make 324kw on 16psi, it's just insane.